Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Streak Story

• JRhawk
  • JRhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4870 by JRhawk
Nice story in Wichita Eagle about KU's conference streak. www.kansas.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/...article62518997.html
For those who want to oversell the relative significance though, please note the 6th paragraph from the bottom, re UCLA's NCAA dominance. They missed the NCAA tourney in 65-66 by placing 2nd in conference - back then only conference winners made it in. The two years before that, 63-64 & 64-65, they also were national champions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, WAJayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #4872 by konza63
Great stuff, JR.

Thanks for sharing!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4875 by NotOstertag
while Self is nowhere near at the same level as Wooden's dynasty, the simple fact that we can even make comparisons is huge, and puts this streak in the "historic" level of rarefied air.

Every now and then, it's important to take a step back, take a deep breath, and appreciate the fact that we're witnessing something in the once-in-a-lifetime level of success that few get to experience. Take a minute and appreciate this folks. It's very very special.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4878 by konza63
I thought it might entail a story of streaking across Mount Oread back in the day...until I saw it was JR, and then I knew it had to be a serious, substantive post. ;)

My initial reaction to just the title tells you that:

a) it's Friday;

b) I'm quite easily distracted;

or

c) (To appropriate Lindsey Graham's recent comments) I'm going "bat-%@#% crazy!" :woohoo: :whistle: :woohoo:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.