Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Slight cautionary note: we still have to come to play vs TT

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4845 by konza63
I know the odds are 99.6 or whatever that KU wins at least a share of the title, but the fact of the matter is we need to win tomorrow vs. TT so that we don't have to sweat any bullets in having to win after that on the road vs. Texas or at home against a tough out in Iowa State.

In that vein, it bears noting that, in a conference where 6 teams are ranked in the Top 25, Texas Tech is just behind KU as the conference's hottest team. We've won 8 straight, they've won 5 straight--to include wins over Iowa State (whom we lost to), OU (very impressive), and at Baylor by 18 (where we just eked out a very close win). If those numbers don't sober you up to believe that tomorrow is no cakewalk (with all the media talk of confetti, celebrations, net-cutting, and putting a bow on the "inevitable" #12), I don't know what will.

Bottom line: we very much should win this game tomorrow. But don't kid yourself--this thing isn't sealed up until it's won on the court, and that will include beating a very game, surging TT game tomorrow at Allen.

Let's just get it done, then celebrate like crazy.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #4848 by Bayhawk
Very good admonition indeed Konza. We need to post a W when the woman of large stature croons. But still . . . you gotta love the odds ;)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4850 by Wheatstate Gal
(cough, cough....)

(deep breath....)

Mi....Mi.....Mi....Mi...Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

More
8 years 2 months ago #4851 by Bayhawk
:P

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #4852 by NotOstertag
We fans are one thing, but I'm pretty confident we're not looking past anything. Some considerations:
1.) We observe. The team participates. They're prepping and practicing to play Tech. They're reading scouting reports. Even if some of them are "going through the motions" they'd be doing it at their own peril of being called out by HCBS.
2.) We're taking it for granted, but the players WANT that trophy more than us, and to cut down the nets. I'm sure most of us spend several minutes each day doing things other than KU-hoops related stuff. They don't.
3.) It's AFH. Even if we come out cold, I'm confident in HCBS's ability to kick butt and the home court to carry us forward.

So of course, we shouldn't look past this game or take anything for granted. Nevertheless, I'm thinking that if I'm on the team, this is no trap game, but instead an opportunity to grab the brass ring. Opportunity is pounding down the door to loudly for anybody on the team to sleep through the chance to answer.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 2 months ago #4853 by CorpusJayhawk
The odds are nice but the thing that really gives me a good feeling is that KU is a 17.5 point favorite and we are playing very consistently above our rating the last 8 games by about 3.5 points. Even though Tech has won 5 straight they played poorly against TCU. However, over the 15 game Big 12 season Tech has averaged 3.6 points above their rating on the road while Kansas has averaged 1.1 below their rating at home. That would trim the margin to 13 points or so. The last 5 games KU has played 3.8 above their rating while Tech has played 7.4 above. That could bring the margin to close to 9. I absolutely like our chances but you can paint a picture with the numbers that this could be a sub-10 point margin game. But Tech has only played above their rating by 17 or more once and KU has played below their margin by 17 or more twice (TCU at home and OSU on the road). Those two factors give KU a 90% chance of winning. I agree that Tech is solid and on a bit of a good trend but we simply have way too much talent to lose this game. But I agree with Konza that the only thing that matters is the final score tomorrow.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4857 by konza63
Good stuff, Corpus.

RE this:

But Tech has only played above their rating by 17 or more once and KU has played below their margin by 17 or more twice (TCU at home and OSU on the road). Those two factors give KU a 90% chance of winning.

The numbers are nice in this case, but I think in the final analysis 95% of KU fans just go with their gut. That is, they see that the game is being played at Allen, against a team that may be surging but isn't in the upper tier of the Big 12, and they conclude "automatic victory."

That's not a critique (because I certainly go there as well), it's just a testament to the intangible yet very concrete effects of games played in the venerable Old Barn. (All the more so league games, since most of those upsets against Self over the years were by non-con teams)

I hate to use the word "spoiled" for KU fans (myself included), but when it comes to playing at home, let's admit it: we pretty much are. We not only expect but semi-demand wins there. And for that reason alone, you would've thought that our various teams over the years would've played with a lot more "pressure not to lose" and therefore coughed up more games than they have. It's just a ridiculously over-the-top dominance at home that then leads everyone (myself included) to think that #12 is pretty much automatic come Saturday. Certainly everyone in the print media has been casting it as such...

My cautionary post was written in response to that tiny little voice I'm hearing saying "anything can happen," "on any given day," and "that's why they play the games." That's the only reason--the guys still have to go out and execute to beat a determined, hot, well-coached team fighting for pride and tournament entry. I fully expect them to get the W, but just always have to register the cautionary note that the games are played for a reason.

Rock Chalk!!!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4863 by NotOstertag
Good point, and you're right. Only 9 losses in the past 12 years at home does that to you. Even when we do play poorly or are behind, instead of panic, my mind automatically goes to, "well they sure are going to work extra hard to get the win this time" instead of (except for those 9) "holy ----, we might lose?!?".

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 2 months ago #4866 by ElectricHawk
I don't expect a "meat necklace" game again like we've had in the past in Allen against the Red Raiders.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4868 by konza63
LOL, ElectricHawk going back a few years in the memory bank... Good recall!

For those that don't remember:

espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=280632305

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #4869 by HawkErrant
(EH, hmmm, my stereoisomer!)

Don't expect a "meat necklace" tomorrow. Tubby has done a good job of making sausage this year, and while the process has been the proverbial mess to watch he has been delivering a pretty tasty brand of hoops lately.

I expect KU to win, but you read it here -- I've never said it wasn't gonna be semi-tough.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"