Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

The Board Comes Together

• NYCHawk
  • NYCHawk's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #4778 by NYCHawk
Observation: just like the team, this board was struggling, earlier in the year. And like the coach and the guys, we seem to have found our footing. I don't post--hardly ever--because I'm not a very talented or informed viewer, but I began appreciating this board years ago because it made me a smarter fan. Perfect example of this is the "Attacking the Zone" post--if you haven't read in full--it's a great one.

Thanks to all of you regular posters who make this is a special place.

Deborah
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, boulderhawk, jayhawk969, NotOstertag, KMT, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #4780 by HawkErrant
Well observed and well said, NYCHawk!

Here's the link: Attacking the Zone

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #4785 by Bayhawk
Great post NYC! It reminds me of the first decade I lurked back in the last mellinium. Don't hesitate to throw you two cents in now and then. I found that even my dumbest questions/observations starred a thread that "schooled me" real good. :silly:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4795 by Wheatstate Gal
Hi NYCH--

Many of us lurked before we "dared" stick a toe into the pool--too dad gum much hoops knowledge frequents this Board. Don't hesitate.....there are no dumb questions and no one ever makes you feel that way.

Take it from me...... I KNOW! :silly:

BTW---that was a darned good contribution!

I get lonely when it gets quiet...... :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #4800 by konza63
Welcome from out of the shadows, fellow feathered friend!

PS: We're getting a pretty healthy slew of Hawks from the NY area on here. Pretty cool to see. You all should touch base with the venerable Porthawk (teacher in NY) to see if you can gather for a game sometime.

Sincerely,

Konza the Social Coordinator (haha)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4802 by Bayhawk
"Social Coordinator," I like the sound of that!

RC

-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4804 by konza63
Well, here's a crazy idea. Some year, when KU is looking good and we have a good bead on the opening weekend site, we should have an "RCB Gathering" for those who can make arrangements to get to the given city. Everybody could make their own ticket and flight arrangements, but we could arrange to have a central location (read: BAR and/or restaurant) to meet up before the games, during the other games, and during down times. Also to attend the official KU rallies, etc.

Just a chance for folks on here to put faces to the names and engage/gorge themselves in a serious hoops-fest. I know the chances of something like that happening are probably pretty low, but it would be fun, I'm sure most would admit.

Think of it kind of like the big biker rally in Sturgis, South Dakota, only with about 500,000 less of your best friends. ;) Probably more like 15-50, LOL... :P

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4806 by Senex68
Years ago, we had a RC Board get together at a KU game. I'm not going to mention everyone I met, but I met a bunch of the old timers. And I had dinner with Corpus and one of his sons, which was a high point of that decade for me. It was a great game, and the people were great people. I would do it again in a heartbeat. My older son lives in Overland Park, so I'm in KC fairly often on business (he's one of my partners) so perhaps we could get a few of the locals together for a drink or two and some food. I'll be in Lawrence within the next 2 weeks, by the way.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4809 by konza63
That might be an even better idea--hold it in the Lawrence/KC area and revolve it around a KU home game. (Logistically easier to probably get the tickets in advance than trying to hold out and wait for opening weekend NCAA tickets)

Maybe we could do it next season? That would be fun...

Maybe one night, with the game in the rear-view, we could all go throw down at The Wheel or some other establishment, get a little groove on, and go tear down the goal posts and throw them in Potter Lake. Just for old times' sake...

Okay, never mind with that idea. :whistle:

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4812 by Bayhawk
Do we know where the various pods are located for the tourney this year? Anything in the Bay Area? Anybody (besides LKF) going to be in the Bay Area in March?

RC

-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #4813 by CorpusJayhawk
The board is kind of like the Jayhawks. We had a mid-season funk and have come back stronger than ever. I have met q few of you and that is one of the joys for me. My some still remembers having dinner with Senex. That is a great highlight. I actually flew to DC so I could meet the bigger than life Konza and had dinner with him and his wonderful wife. Of course I met HawkErrant a million years ago it seems like now. I would definitely be up for a RCB get together anywhere in the country. As for Bayhawker, I am in the Bay Area fairly often since my sone lives in Walnut Creek and my bride and I are Sonoma/Napa/Russian/etc junkies. She s headed out their next months. I may pop out for the weekend to buy some wine.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #4814 by Bayhawk
Game on,

RC

-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #4815 by LKF_HAWK
The Midwest Regional is going through Chicago. Bay, we'll get to watch BigX12 tourney game. I am in the Bay Area March 11-16.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4816 by Bayhawk
Most excellent amigo!

--RC

-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #4823 by porthawk
I am so on (Rock Chalk) board with that idea, Konza! And meeting in the Lawrence/KC area totally. It can act as a hub for us RCB'ers.

The only board member I have met is Hudson J. Hawk, but he hasn't been on the board for years. Would love to meet the virtual KU family!

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4824 by porthawk
First, great post, NYCHawk! You summed up the ebbs and flows of the board (and KU) very nicely....thankfully we've seen a lot more ebbing recently!

And Konza, definitely a good suggestion about us New Yorkers gathering for a game. As for using "venerable" as a descriptor...don't know how true that is, but I'll certainly take it :).

It's too bad the Back Page closed down. It was a great sports bar on the Upper East Side.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by porthawk.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4825 by jayhawk969
I actually think I met you at an Upper East Side Bar 7-8 yrs ago. I went there to catch a game and we talked. :P f

More
8 years 2 months ago #4827 by porthawk
My apologies for it having slipped my mind. I do appreciate the reminder though.

I forget, were you visiting or do you live in NYC?

More
8 years 2 months ago #4828 by Senex68
You arrange it and I will be there. I am 3 hours from the city, where I grew up.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 2 months ago #4860 by KMT
LMAO!