Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Program alert: #1 ranked team plays at #5 tonight

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4702 by konza63
I haven't seen one possession of a Villanova game this year. Nor am I naturally inclined to "believe" in them as a truly elite team, given how they haven't lived up to any post-season billing since seemingly the old Rollie Massimino days. (They made it to the FF in '09, actually, but aside from that you have to go back to Rollie)

With that being said, they're the sole team ranked above KU at this point in time. So I'm curious to see what they're made of. Tonight, they have a bit of a test--playing #5 Xavier on the road. They clobbered the Musketeers by 31 points back on New Year's Eve, so it will be interesting to see if they have a game on their hands or not.

If by chance they go down tonight (game time 7pm EST/6pm CST), and KU holds serve at home Saturday, we all know what that means. (I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but we can't run away from it, I suppose--that's what solid play and hopefully winning the nation's toughest conference will do for you: put you very much at the top of the national radar)

I'll be out tonight, but am definitely hoping to DVR this one. Should be interesting.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #4703 by Bayhawk
I'll be tuned in, turned on, and dropped out :ohmy:

Rock Chalk!!

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4704 by Wheatstate Gal
But Guys, their Coach is really handsome!!! (batting my eyelashes and cocking my head coyly....... :kiss: )

and our coach is really cute........
The following user(s) said Thank You: JhawkMom

• NotOstertag
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4705 by NotOstertag
I'm sure that the other stats people are saying similar things, but I like Sagarin, and here's what he's got:

Michigan State #1 overall, KU #2, Nova at #3.

SOS: MSU ranked #26, KU #4, Nova #33
Overall Rating: MSU 92.47, KU 92.18, Nova 92.12 (all 3 teams within 0.35 of a point, only 0.06 separating KU and Nova)
Golden Mean: KU 92.23, MSU 92.18, Nova 92.11 (all 3 teams within 0.12 of a point)
Recent (weighted toward recent trends): Nova 93.39, KU 93.02, MSU 92.33 (spread of 1.06 points and a totally different order).

This tells me that there's a lot of parity going on.

Here's where it gets most interesting:
KU clearly has the most battle-hardened team:
KU: 23-4 record, 5-3 vs. top 25 (.625), 12-3 vs. top 50 (.800).
MSU: 23-5 record, 4-3 vs. top 25 (.571), 7-4 vs. top 50 (.636).
Nova: 24-3 record, 1-2 vs. top 25 (.500), 8-2 vs. top 50 (.800)..

While this is kind of borne out in the SOS numbers, as you can see KU's winning percentage in both the top 25 and top 50 categories is not only as good or better than MSU or Nova, but we've played more games against these teams....thank you Big 12. While KU and MSU are only 1 game different vs. the top 25, Nova has only played 3 of the top 25 teams in the country and lost twice. Ditto on the top 50 except KU has played 15 games to MSU's 11 and Nova's 10, and has still maintained the highest winning percentage.

So here's what I'm seeing: KU lost legitimate games against MSU, @ISU, and @WVU. Those won't hurt us a bit. Had we not crapped the bed in Stillwater, I don't think that there'd be any debate who the top team in the land is.

As for Villanova, I'm interested to watch, but just looking at the straight up numbers against top teams, I don't know that they've not only been tested like our guys have, but have RESPONDED to those tests like our guys have.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 2 months ago #4709 by CorpusJayhawk
I am crushed that NotO would prefer the 2nd rate musings of an MIT professor (Jeff Sagarin) over a battle tested brother in crimson and blue (yours truly). I mean Sagarin is only a measly professor at a school that does not even field an NCAA basketball team. How could he possibly know how to build a system to rank teams? I have a degree from the most prestigious basketball university in the universe. It seems that I would be far more qualified to rank teams. FWIW, I have KU ranked 1st and Nova ranked 2nd. Michigan St. is 3rd in my system. If you believe all the other hacks out there who feign knowledge of how to rank programs, you can visit the attached link (Massey) to see the composite of all (currently 57) computer systems out there (of which yours truly is one). In this composite, Nova is 1st, KU 2nd, Oklahoma 3rd and Michigan St. 4th.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #4710 by LKF_HAWK
I don't want to see MSU in our bracket. Izzo's boys always find a way to steal a W from the Hawks. Since HCBS has been at KU, Izzo is 4-2 vs our guys and it's always some dang Sparty player going off Lucious in 09, Valentine earlier this year. Honestly, have a lot of respect for the fighting Izzos, but it really chaps my hide that they seem to get the last laugh and when you look at the stats you are like how, why?

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4712 by konza63
Our best hope for avoiding Michigan State as the #2 in our Chicago bracket (where they'll have many fans, like us) is for them to finish strong and gain a #1 seed. We really need for that to happen, because I fear if they're a 2 the committee will put them in their closest region--which will almost certainly be KU's in Chicago.

That would put arguably the 2nd toughest team in the land in our early path, rather than saving them for later on in a potential FF game--which is much more ideal and preferable.

My fingers are crossed that Sparty finishes strong, for purely selfish (KU) reasons!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4725 by Bayhawk
:dry:

RC

-- Jules Michelet

• NotOstertag
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4726 by NotOstertag
Sorry Corpus. Didn't realize that you were in that listing. I've had Sagarin bookmarked forever so it's force of habit.

Out of respect, I'll instruct my henchmen to have Mr. S's fingers broken so that he can't operate his computer for the rest of the season and change my bookmarks. :)

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4731 by konza63
nt

More
8 years 2 months ago #4734 by Bayhawk
RC

-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #4737 by Senex68
After we beat TT on Sat., we can all chant 'We're #1, etc. 'Nova lost. George Clooney isn't as good a coach as Self, by the way.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4738 by Wheatstate Gal
You made me laugh out loud, Senex!!! Thanks!