Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Are there any doctors on the board?

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #4628 by konza63
Or does anyone care to play "pop MD" and speculate on what Frank's injury was?

To this couch MD and weekend warrior, it looked a lot like a neck stinger. This article seems to comport with what we saw on TV:

sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/neck/a/neck3.htm

If that's what it was, those can be exceptionally painful...

Hopefully he didn't do anything that will result in prolonged pain or discomfort.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #4648 by Bayhawk
I diagnosed it as a neck stinger also. But then again, I'm a child psychologist who works with autistic kiddos. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once),

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #4657 by NotOstertag
I've been to the doctors, and I know some doctors, so I'm qualified right?

To me it looked not dissimilar to whiplash or any other sudden torqueing of the head/neck. Granted, whiplash is usually the result of a sudden and stop or acceleration and the momentum of the head jerking the neck, but I imagine this injury was similar.

Bottom line, it's either skeletal/spinal or muscular, right? Barring some kind of neck/spine thing (which I doubt) it's probably just a major strain on the shoulders and neck. I'm guessing that Frank has a hell of a stiff neck today, but nothing more serious. I'm also sure that unlike you or I who would just have to tough it out, Frank is getting some very proactive message and therapy on it.

It did look like Coach Hudy was giving him the big time hairy eyeball checking him out afterward from the 2nd row. As I said somewhere else, I'd venture that she had that thing fully diagnosed, and a full plan for PT already before the final buzzer sounded.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4660 by konza63
It's funny how hyper-perceptive the most intense fans can be. The reason I mention that is I was tracking Hudy last night, just like you, and I even replayed that sequence with my son to see what she said to Frank. If I read her lips correctly, it was just simple tough love: "Let's go, Frank!"

Gotta love our no-longer-so-secret weapon, Coach Hudy!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 2 months ago #4664 by CorpusJayhawk
If for some unexplainable reason I decide to walk down a dark alley in the wrong part of town at midnight sometime, I want Andrea Hudy with me.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, NotOstertag

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4688 by Wheatstate Gal
I saw the "Let's go, Frank!" too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 2 months ago #4716 by DocHawk
I am a doctor, a family physician, and both diagnoses are possibilities but we'd better hope for the stinger which is brief and has no persistent downside whereas a muscular strain (whiplash injury) is often worse the next day, as NotOstertag mentioned, and can even be a long term injury. As an optimist, I'll vote for stinger.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4718 by konza63
Thanks for the expert opinion, Doc! (As opposed to us amateur MDs and weekend warriors) ;)

Here's hoping the fighting bulldog is resting and healing up nicely...

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4721 by NotOstertag
C'mon Konza, we don't need Doc and his "actual medical training". I'm confident that my background of reading Mad Magazine and listening to talk radio is enough for me to make accurate medial diagnoses from TV or even watching from the stands.

Upon further review, I think Frank likely sprained his appendix and will likely need leeches applied for full recovery. ;)

(BTW, thanks Doc).

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 2 months ago #4724 by NotOstertag
I'm still impressed that she can wade into the pool of testosterone and immaturity that must exist among high level athletes in their late teens/twenties and win them over. Of course, she COULD just say "I'm the boss and if you don't do what I say I'll call HCBS." From what I've read/heard, however, her results speak for themselves, and she doesn't need HCBS to back her up. I'm sure a guy like Perry can just show her a picture of what he looked like as a freshman and the final product, and supress any opposition.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4727 by konza63
Jesse just told me that Frank looked better in post-game, but that Greg Gurley said he was getting his neck checked out during Self's wrap-up interview in Waco. No update from KU officials as of today.

Fingers crossed...