Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

I apologize

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4616 by Senex68
Not that he'll ever know I insulted him, or doubted him, or dismissed him as distracted, arrogant, detached and just uncaring, but I owe Bill Self an apology. He knows his business, and he does it better than just about anybody. As several of the talking heads have stated these past few weeks, KU does not have a legitimate 1st rounder on the team and yet they are about to win their 12th consecutive Big 12 title. And we are about to get a 1 seed in the NCAAs, and we are quite possibly going to be ranked #1 next week. Given that I was convinced we were going nowhere this year, I'm pretty impressed with the team, and more significantly, the architect of this team.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Senex68.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, NotOstertag, mtnMan, NYCJayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #4625 by big g
very classy post senex. youre so knowledgable some of your earlier posts nearly shook my confidence. l love how passionate everyone is on this board. makes it so much fun and adds to the seasons enjoyment immeasurably. thank you and all the other great posters.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4633 by wchawk
And I should apologize for thinking a lot of what Senex said. I didn't post my thoughts but I really was questioning where our team was headed and found myself wondering what was coach doing? I thought we had a deep team. Maybe we didn't (based on his standards of being ready to play), but he played it out and we found some success that many of us didn't think we would see a month ago. Not done yet, but we are in a much better place! RC!

More
8 years 2 months ago #4649 by Bayhawk
"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
--Bruce Lee

You know enough to question and doubt. Imagine me in my bliss of ignorance simply wondering (as I did last night), "I know we will, but how will we right this ship?" My basketball acumen is best characterized by the old saying, 'We're lost, but we're making good time,"

Great post Senex,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senex68

More
8 years 2 months ago #4654 by NotOstertag
While I doubt he's checking here for approval, the sentiment is much appreciated. If there's any doubt about this guy's skills, there should be little doubt at this point.

I'll add this: 12 straight championships (2nd best ever) in the modern era is truly remarkable. I think we'd also agree that "12 straight championships, 3 elite eights, one NCAA runner up, and and TWO National ChampionS[/u] sounds a lot better.

While the tourney is a crapshoot, this team has shown that they have the desire and composure to make as good a run as any team in recent memory or better.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Senex68, DocBlues

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4667 by konza63
Senex, that's a great post. Thanks.

Nothing is stated without context, however, and if we look back on it, that was a pretty dark, uncertain period when you voiced those concerns:

* KU had just limped to 3 straight road losses (@ WVU, OSU, and ISU). Even worse, we got our rears handed to us in each one, and weren't even competitive or showing signs of fight or life.

* On top of that, recall that back then Coach was still rotating tons of players in and out, essentially because he, too, was unsure of the best combinations on the floor at that point in time.

* Mason was exceptionally beat up and looked like he was running out of gas, far/far/far from the finish line.

* Devonte was playing well, but had not yet encountered the kind of breakout night he later did in Norman, where he realized that HE could be "the man" on a given night, as needed and as warranted.

* Perhaps most importantly, the light bulb had not begun to go off for Landen (on the offensive end), which led to questions as to how in the heck we were going to grow and reach a higher potential since all any opponent had to do was double-team Perry (knowing there was no other threat down low). The negative cascade effects of that problem (KU playing 4 on 5 when on offense) were clear for all to see.

* The above problem led me (personally) to my biggest concern, and probably the loudest critique of Self I have ever offered in a given season: namely, that in the absence of offensive evolution by Landen and Jamari, we would've been better off having invested more in the development (and playing time) of our athletic freshmen (Diallo and Bragg). It got to the point where I pushed that line pretty hard, even going so far as to say that I felt our ultimate post-season success was contingent on their development. ("Free Diallo and Bragg," etc. etc.)

But then, the script flipped. We saw our first glimmer of the "new KU," I submit, in the TCU game, which I mentioned at the time. I felt that there was a very evident glimmer of truly turning the corner in that game. After that, with Self having firmly named Landen the starter at Center, Lucas's confidence and efficiency on the offensive end took off, and it seemed to inject even greater life into his pre-existing strong suits (rebounding, defense, screening, etc.). This then cascaded into less double-teams on Perry, which opened up spacing inside and created all sorts of new efficiencies and capacity for our offense--including the ripple effects out to our guards. On top of that, Frank re-discovered his energy and legs, and returned to form as the "bulldog" floor general he was before. Devonte hit the gold mine on the biggest of stages in the biggest of games, essentially for the conference crown (i.e., for any hope KU had of getting it) versus OU. Suddenly, we had one of the most formidable backcourts in the land. Once Lucas bloomed and Self filled the gaping hole at the 5 spot, he was able to settle into a much more comfortable, smooth, and efficient rotation off the bench--led by Jamari inside, and Brannen/Svi outside. He made the tough but (in hindsight, correct!) decision that Diallo and Bragg weren't quite seasoned and cool enough under pressure to thrive and contribute in the exceptionally tough, closely-matched gauntlet of Big 12 games that stared KU in the face at that time.

The rest, as they say, is history. And my critiques of Self on the freshmen PT front turned out to be premature and off-base. It took the light going off for Landen offensively (something I don't think anyone on this board saw, to be fair*), but it doesn't matter. Self (and his core four) saw that potential, injected renewed faith and confidence in Lucas, and then everyone else stepped up to perform their role and perform it well. We also learned, in the process, how much of a true "team" we have here, and how on any given night a different person can essentially hitch the wagon to his post and be the lead driver, with others falling in with helpful and essential contributions.

Bottom line: Self is a master, and we are all couch potatoes. Intensive, passionate, caring, semi-intelligent, and KU card-carrying couch potatoes--but couch potatoes nonetheless. He gets paid the big bucks to figure out really tough puzzles (and how to fit everything together, not only in the here and now but 3 steps ahead). And in the final analysis, what might have once seemed as his most tenuous or fitful coaching performance in any season at KU (as voiced by so many on this board, myself most definitely included) now is suddenly looking more like it could be one of his finest hours.

Crazy stuff, no? :blink:

It's often been said in the past, and so it must be said again: "In Self We Trust."

(But hey, Coach, let's finish what we've started in April--deal?) :side:

* Footnote: RE Lucas, like Corpus, I asserted from the get-go on here that he is very effective at his role (defense, rebounding, screening, being where he's supposed to be in the flow of the offense). As a result, I didn't critique him much, given that he was simply functioning in the bounded role he had been asked to perform. [By contrast, I was much more critical of Jamari--not as a person, but in terms of his more erratic "one good play, two bad plays" style on the court.] Little did I know, however, that I would completely miss the boat on Landen's takeoff (on offense--both as a legit occasional scoring option and as a more assertive offensive rebounder and putback artist) once he was firmly inserted into the starting role. Given what we had all seen in Lucas up until that time--a relatively flat-footed big who didn't seem to have much jump and had shown a bad tendency to brick rim shots, not dunk, and put the ball on the floor in traffic--I don't think ANYONE on this board rightly saw that profound and remarkable turnaround coming. If you did, please point to the thread and post from back before it happened, as we will all crown you an Oracle. :P

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk, KMT

More
8 years 2 months ago #4671 by Bayhawk

Bottom line: Self is a master, and we are all couch potatoes. - See more at: www.rockchalk.com/index.php/forum/basket...sthash.CEpJ5UsQ.dpuf

Yeah, but I'm a Master Couch Potato . . . :P

Great reply to Senex Konza, ;)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #4672 by CorpusJayhawk
Nice thread by all. A classic example of why this board is the best. But is I am a couch potato, I want to Spud webb.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #4679 by minerscoach
I'm with all of you. I have always loved Coach Self but earlier this year I was with many others in thinking he was making a big mistake for this team. Goes to show he is still the master, as he has molded this team to fit his philosophy. Down the stretch last night I saw this team play as one on the defensive end and fight for one another.

I too apologize to Coach Self for ever doubting his ability to get this team fighting and playing together. I still wish Svi would play more, but I now am back to trusting the greatest coach in college basketball with those decisions.

RC