Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

In the end, in crunch time...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #4579 by konza63
...all of the guys who had struggled (Wayne, Landen, and Devonte) came through. Big-time came through!

And Frank...what a tough stud. Words fail!

The mark of a champion!

Rock Chalk!!!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #4587 by DocBlues
Yep. The lads stepped up when it counted. This has become a team of late that simply refuses to lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 2 months ago #4589 by NYCJayhawk
I also want to give a shout out to the medical team. Frank takes a beating every game, and yet, he's always there at the end!

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4592 by konza63
He is simply, without a doubt, the toughest player I have ever seen don a KU uniform. And obviously I've seen many...

(I truly don't think that's hyperbole)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #4595 by HawkErrant

konza63 wrote: He is simply, without a doubt, the toughest player I have ever seen don a KU uniform. And obviously I've seen many...

(I truly don't think that's hyperbole)

Same here, konza!
And it's not hyperbole.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• NotOstertag
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4610 by NotOstertag
Baylor wanted this SO bad. Too bad fellas. Watching Drew get t'ed up right off the bat was fun.

Baylor played great defense early and we were unable to penetrate. Nevertheless we came back and the guys who were stinking it up came through. Frank: no words. At one point after he got hammered, as he was inbounding the ball, you could see Coach Hudy in the background scoping him out. I'm sure she has some idea of what he's capable of physically and you could see her cheering him on telling him he had it.

Magic number is 1 with 3 to go. I'm pretty comfortable that we'll get #12, and probably on Saturday. The only questions is whether HCBS will let the guys cut down the nets at home (when a share is still a possibility) or if he'll make them wait until they own it outright (at Texas or back home vs. ISU).

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 2 months ago #4617 by mtnMan
My candidate might be Vernon Vanoy. Played with Jo Jo White. went on to play defensive end for Atlanta Falcons, I think. Someone like Gathers would just bounce off him.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #4620 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: ... The only questions is whether HCBS will let the guys cut down the nets at home (when a share is still a possibility) or if he'll make them wait until they own it outright (at Texas or back home vs. ISU).

If they win Saturday, and Self does NOT let them cut down the nets then, you can bet he won't do it on the road if they win (remember, he's an OSU -- not an OU -- grad). And if they've already clinched come Senior Day (game time now listed as 3:00pm, the very last game of the entire Big 12 regular season), will he have missed the moment if, against all odds, KU lost a Senior Game? If he is going to let them cut the nets, I think it will be if they win this Saturday.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4622 by konza63
When I say Frank is the toughest I've ever seen at KU, my criteria isn't so much sheer physical strength or being a brute. Rather, it's more about:

* The ability to withstand seemingly endless punishment, as the center of the attack
* A truly uncanny resiliency and ability to bounce right back after said punishment
* A ridiculously high pain tolerance threshold, given all of the hard falls, tumbles, hacks, and chops he endures
* A guy who seldom if ever leaves the floor, much less the arena, even after taking shocks to the body that would debilitate most mere mortals

There was a play in a very recent game (memory fails)--it was either K-State or the one before that--where he went up very high off the block, got his lower half caught on the defender, and proceeded to fall from about 7 feet up straight down, with his head/neck literally slamming into the hardwood. He rolled over, thrust his feet up toward his chest from the prone position, and with his forearms in a "pushup" position bounced right back up--as if to say "That didn't hurt!" (Kind of like some football players do when they're hit particularly hard, and they want to make sure that the defender doesn't get the false idea that they hurt them, or that they're soft in any way)

Dude is a stud. Pure and simple. Tough as freaking nails.

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4636 by konza63
This piece by Bedore does a great job spelling out just how special Wayne's and Landen's play was in closing out the game--and how much they got their rears chewed out by Self before that. :whistle:

www2.kusports.com/news/2016/feb/23/never...cy-keys-comeback-wi/

Heck of a win.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4665 by LSHawk
Re: the trophy, I wonder if logistics will come into play. Senior Night is, well, Senior Night. And, I bet there will be something for Bob Davis (calling his last game in Allen). Too busy for net-cutting. Same trophy, outright or shared... Let's celebrate Saturday, assuming we win.