Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

I believed . . .

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4575 by Bayhawk
;)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #4578 by RobS
nm

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4581 by Senex68
I had lost hope. Now I'm abashed. How the hell did they win that game? This team is truly remarkable. I am impressed!

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #4591 by HawkErrant
... and ESPN showed that "Baylor hasn't lost this season when leading in H2" stat, I resigned myself to the possibility we would lose. I was not happy, but I wrestled with myself, took a deep breath to calm myself, and then settled in to see just how the guys would close this out. I had predicted a 2 point win, and at that point did not see that happening tonight. And then they won -- and by 6! As big g said, these guys are just the mentally toughest bunch we have seen since 2008.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4594 by konza63
I never gave up, but when I posted my "I have a very bad vibe" comment, followed by Corpus's of the same ilk, I really thought it was just going to be one of those nights. (Up to that point, it was basically just Frank pulling a very weighty plow behind him that was dragging in thick Kansas mud)

The thing I didn't see coming was the turnaround by the guys who had been sleepwalking or off their games earlier--Selden, Lucas, Devonte. And Jamari giving us those good minutes with those two key scores during our comeback.

As DocBlues said, they just refuse to lose. And thus, they are making believers out of all of us.

Rock on, Rock Chalk, Rock on! :woohoo:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4596 by konza63
I love this comment (and the sentiment behind it), Peter!

How the hell did they win that game? This team is truly remarkable. I am impressed!

It's one of those posts where the Board can almost see your beaming smile and feel your giddiness...

Great stuff.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4598 by hairyhawk
I know others may disagree with me but I think the 2012 team was more mentally tough than the 2008. The 2008 was mentally tough and had more talent. The 2012 team just had mental toughness.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #4601 by HawkErrant
Hey, kids, rock 'n' roll.
ROCK CHALK!
Gonna lose my soul.
Hey, shout - see the ball go in....
Didn't ya?

Hey, shout, wintertime blues,
jumpin' around in crimson-red shoes
Hey, kids, rock 'n' roll.
ROCK CHALK!

And where do we go from here?
Which is the way that's clear?

Still lookin' for that title number 12.
Put that trophy up on that shelf.
Then earn #4 in the Dance, like Dan the Man.
Dan the Man.

ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #4606 by DocHawk
Great, tough road win again a good team. And I have to admit (and I was in Birmingham in 1997) Miles Simon is becoming my favorite analyst. Let's put a cinch on #12 at home Saturday! Should we cut down the nets? Go Jayhawks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtnMan

More
8 years 2 months ago #4607 by newtonhawk
Tenacious defense and key buckets down the stretch were fun to watch. BU's defense in the first half was a problem. I kept hoping they would lag as the game wore on, and it appears as though they did. They did not pressure the guards out front nearly as much and allowed our guys a little more space to operate which was helpful.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4609 by CorpusJayhawk
Agree with all

Agree this a very mentally tough team
Agree 2008 was a very very mentally tough team
Agree 2012 was a very mentally tough team
Agreed I am impressed
Agreed, how the hell did they win?
Agreed this was an incredible turnaround. Self put the starters back in with 5:41 to go down by 1, 51-52. They just buckled down and refused to lose. What a very nice close out. Selden was getting on my nerves for 35 minutes and then played a beautiful last 5 minutes. Landen looked like he reverted to a freshman for 35 minutes and grabbed every rebound in the last 5 minutes. Just a very satisfying tough road game.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senex68

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4612 by HawkErrant
And you are not wrong that the 2012 team simply refused to lose once they got their feet under them. No matter how far down they were in all but what -- 2 games during the Big 12 season? -- they found a way to come back and win.

But I do think this team is closer to the 2008 team than the 2012, with the growth of Landen giving them the big man ingredient they were lacking.

And I will dare say that jsut like the 2012 team, this team has grown into it, because earlier in this season I do not think they would have won this game.

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: clarify comments

More
8 years 2 months ago #4613 by mtnMan
yes, I agree that Miles Simon is also becoming my favorite analyst. He doesn't shout, points out interesting things, and supports the players. if he does say something negative about a player he always throws in something positive as well. and he earned his wry smile when he wished for a KU vs Arizona regional final.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #4614 by HawkErrant
AMEN!

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4618 by konza63
It's funny that I still (19 years later?) cringe for that opening second when I see Simon (just because my mind invariably flashes to "that game" that shall not be mentioned, yet also cannot be dislodged from our individual or collective memories). But then, as you note, it goes away, simply due to the man's sheer competence, composure, and insight.

I'll take him any day of the week over Fraschilla, who loves to root for the "dog" against KU (and who isn't the underdog when playing KU? LOL).

Definitely an eminently tolerable game to listen to with him and the play-by-play guy tonight.

The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyHawk

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #4621 by HawkErrant
Am I alone in thinking that Simon and Bilas have very similar sounding voices? I always have to check who's working the game in order to be sure.

Yes? No?

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4624 by konza63
I personally notice a definite difference. But my son thinks Simon sounds a lot like Jay Williams (the Duke studio guy), and I kind of get that.

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4647 by Bayhawk
Maybe not PC, but correct nonetheless. I concur,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet