Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Darnell Jackson Update (plus stroll down memory lane)

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4497 by CorpusJayhawk
For those of you who are Darnell fans (like me) just thought I would update you. He is playing in Turkey this year and doing very well. He is 2nd on the Yesigerelsun team in scoring and leads in rebounding. Tony Crocker (ex - Oklahoma player) leads the team is scoring by a point or so over Darnell. Darnell has built a nice career overseas. He is a very fine young man I would love to see him back at KU in some capacity. If I am not mistaken, he was Bill Self's very first recruit to accept a scholarship at KU. There is a nice piece of trivia. Also he is another example a la Landen Lucas, Kevin Young, Travis Releford, Brady Morningstar, Tyrel Reed and others that waited their turn and had great success in doing so. I still love that 2008 team. Sasha was a super young man and also a great role player. RussRob and Mario are as good a back court as we have ever had, at least defensively. And to think we had a young Sherron as well. Cole was a super sub that waited his turn at least a couple years. Shady a Brandon were great players that have built nice NBA careers. Overall probably not a great a college team as the 1997 team that had Pierce, Raef, Scot Pollard, Jacque and Jerod not to mention Ryan Robertson and others. I still sting more from that overtime loss to Mizzou than maybe any other.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, KMT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #4499 by NotOstertag
Thanks for the update. Last year, he was playing for the Westchester Knicks (NY Knicks d-league team), and I got to see him play.

D-League ball is pretty terrible from a fan perspective, IMHO. Everyone's interviewing for a job, so it seems like 80% of the time, whoever had the ball was going to shoot or drive. Nevertheless, Darnell played well in the paint with solid defense, rebounding, etc.

Kudos to him for playing (and playing well) in Turkey. I guarantee you that he's making more money there. I think the d-league salaries are around $20k/year. Not an easy way to make a living.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #4501 by HawkErrant
Great stuff on Darnell, Don, thanks for the update! Glad to read he is doing so well.

For NotO and others interested, dleaguedigest.com/2015/07/29/assessing-t...ue-salary-structure/

NBADL Salary BASICS
Three contract tiers
A $25,000
B $19,000
C $13,000
NBADL pays salaries, but "the teams are responsible for housing and a player’s per diem $40 on road trips (only paid to active players on the roster)."

Salary cap per team $170,000
No more than 5 A contracts per team at any given point in time.
Players can earn more through performance bonuses, e.g., $3K for the NBADL MVP.

For money, OSeas is definitely the way to go.
The big plus for going NBADL is the opportunity for exposure to NBA team staffers.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4516 by CorpusJayhawk
Darnell (and I suspect many others) play overseas to earn a living and play in the D-League to get noticed by the NBA.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!