Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

New uniforms next week!! Love them!!!!

• JhawkMom
  • JhawkMom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4145 by JhawkMom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4149 by Wheatstate Gal
I like them too, Mom. The shorts look a little "short" for what the kids seem to prefer today. I guess we'll see.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4151 by Bayhawk
:unsure: Can't say as I'm a big fan, but if they win they can play in hazmat suits for all I care, ;)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #4154 by Slayer2384
Why not go all the way and go with silk shorts for a true throwback.

• JhawkMom
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4157 by JhawkMom
Do you really think anybody could make the guys wear them??? Hahaha

More
8 years 2 months ago #4164 by Bayhawk
OK, I just discovered the unis are for black history month. Having just discovered this bit of trivia, I would like to apologize to anyone conceivably offended by my "Harlem Globetrotters" comment. I did not, do not, and will not want to start something on this board pertaining to race, history, or the tenuous link between all that has been done for civil rights and college bball uniforms.

And for the record, I am a big fan of the Globetrotters.

Thank you for your time with this matter, about which I will not speak again,

--RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #4166 by konza63
No offense taken, and anyone who has followed you on the board over the years would know you weren't making any untoward connection.

As for the unis, I like them. And with the stripes and red/white/blue, they do have a bit of a Globetrotters feel to them, even if Adidas didn't intend that, which is cool.

As for them being a little shorter (Wheatie), I read somewhere recently that the "crop line" for b-ball shorts is starting to creep back up now, in terms of style preferences, after getting longer and longer for quite some time. I don't think we'll ever see them this short again, but it's interesting nonetheless.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• JhawkMom
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4190 by JhawkMom
I would think the shorter they are, the easier it is to play in them. Just speaking from my volleyball games.

• wardhawk
More
8 years 2 months ago #4192 by wardhawk
Those shorts look real skimpy compared to what they wear these days. Or will they be wearing "longer" version of them? I know in the '50's even thru the '80's they were rather short.

Wardhawk

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4237 by Wheatstate Gal
Mom.....I didn't know you are a jock!

You must have really been eating up our Women's volleyball success this year!

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4473 by konza63
I was tooling around looking for the KU media guide when I came across another link regarding the Black History Month uniforms that KU will wear in upcoming games. It had a nice, up-close picture gallery of the unis:

www.kuathletics.com/galleries/?gallery=605

My eyes immediately went to the 1941 "fighting" Jayhawk, which is my personal favorite in the evolution of our beloved logo...

I already loved these uniforms, but that small detail pushed me over the top! ;) Thumbs up, KUAD and Adidas...thumbs up.

PS: They'll be on display in the next game (at Baylor, the dark uniform) and then at home vs. TT (the white uniform).

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #4478 by HawkErrant
I'm generally not into the whole uni discussion, but I must confess that I missed the use of the Warhawk! Thanks for pointing that out, Konza!

They look just fine for Tuesday eating the Bear (boys, don't let the Bear eat you!)

ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #4488 by NotOstertag
I'm sure that nobody took the Globetrotters comment in anything other than the way you intended it. Fun fact: I took my son to his first KU game at Madison Square Garden when they played Bucknell in some early season thing. He got picked out of the crowd (because he was wearing a KU jersey) to participate in a little gimmick contest during a timeout on the floor. He ended up winning us two tickets to see the Globetrotters and I had to explain to him that a.) our seats were far far away from where we sat at the KU game, and that b.) it was highly unlikely that he'd get to go back on the floor any time soon.

OK, so now about the uniforms. Here's my question: what is the connection between 1950's styled uniforms and Black History Month. Seems to me that in the 1950's the country was still very segregated, and there were all kinds of "gentlemen's agreements" about how many black players teams would play. Somewhere I think I even remember stories of Wilt facing some issues on road trips in highly segregated places. Anyway I don't get the connection, but I suppose at the very least it's a way to acknowledge it. Maybe even just having this brief discussion is all part of getting people to think about things for a minute.

On a side note, I looked this up and found it interesting that race was an "issue" in certain parts of the basketball all the way up into the 60's. < en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_participation_in_college_basketball >

As for my take on the look of them? Love the fighting Jayhawk logo. Other than that I'm pretty neutral on the way they look. I'd like to see the guys cutting down the nets in them on Saturday if we clinch the championship at home. Then I'll be a fan!

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4489 by konza63

Here's my question: what is the connection between 1950's styled uniforms and Black History Month?

I'm not sure, and it would be interesting to hear the KUAD back-story on that.

Sometimes, with things like this (a uniform choice and agreement with a vendor), it can be as easily explained as "Some 2nd-tier staffer charged with the Adidas (or Nike) account signed off on the company's decision to label them X, Y, or Z." But in this case, perhaps it was (?) something a little more thought through? Who knows? About the only thing I can offer up is that KU hoops became desegregated in 1951, according to what I've seen online. So perhaps that explains the choice...

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4490 by konza63
Here's some interesting "broader context" on your question:

www.sportsinblackandwhite.com/2012/10/21...etball-in-the-south/

What's interesting about KU is that its move to integrate came in 1951, 3 years prior to the Brown vs. BOE decision. And 19 years before Kentucky (under the infamous Rupp) chose to include black players on its team:

This shifting attitude began to spread throughout the South as schools moved towards fully integrating their own teams. Supported by student protests and campus opinion, the University of Kentucky announced in 1963 that its athletic programs would be open to all students, regardless of race. Despite this, however, the school’s basketball team did not actually become integrated until 1970.

[/i]

Just some backdrop, pending further explanation of the uniform link to the 50s at KU.

The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 2 months ago #4496 by NotOstertag
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. 1970 for UK hoops?!? Geez.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot