Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Landen Lucas Isn't Getting Enough Love Here

• ATXJayhawk
  • ATXJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #4034 by ATXJayhawk
He's had 16 points, 26 rebounds, and 5 blocks combined between the West Virginia and OU games this past week. He had more rebounds than the # 2 and # 3 leading rebounders in the big 12 in Ryan Spangler and Devin Williams. To put up those kind of numbers against the two best rebounders on two of the best teams in this league this late in the season is truly remarkable.

If he get's double figures in rebounds again tonight I'd say we have finally found a reliable starter at the 5 spot. We don't need him to score a lot of points, we just need him to protect the rim and get rebounds.

West Virginia game stat line:
Landen Lucas: 9 points, 16 rebounds, 4 blks, 1 steal, 2 turnovers
Devin Williams: 14 points, 9 rebounds

Oklahoma Game stat line:
Landen Lucas: 7 points, 10 rebounds, 1 blk, 2 turnovers
Ryan Spangler: 3 points, 7 rebounds, 1 steal, 0 turnovers

The 5 spot has been the unknown for this team all season long as we've tried Jamari, Diallo, Mickelson, and Bragg. None of them could provide the consistent rebounding we desperately needed; that is until Lucas got the starting job next to Perry. Lucas knows Self's system, has size, and is starting to show signs of being aggressive around the rim.

Who would have thought Lucas would be our starter at the 5 spot this late in the season?

Crimson and blue looks so much better than burnt orange!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WAJayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #4037 by HawkErrant
... the "Superman's sidekick" role that his initials scream out to all us overgrown superhero fans. Now we just to keep our revolving door of Supermen (one day Selden, another day Graham, another Ellis, and then there is Iron Man Mason) moving while everyone plays solid D and we've got ourselves a tournament capable team.

But first, let's win the next 6, starting tonight with swooping those 'Pokes outta their saddles!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #4038 by CorpusJayhawk
It is even more impressive than that for Landen. His defense has been solid for sure. Maybe not spectacular but very very solid. Plus, he sets screens better than any other big man hands down. Now there is that pesky little fact that the entire Jayhawk nation gasps every time he touches the ball on offense but he has actually be better than pathetic on offense the last several games. I would love to have an AA guy anchoring the paint, but I must say, Landen gets more with less than almost any player I can remember.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #4039 by konza63

To put up those kind of numbers against the two best rebounders on two of the best teams in this league this late in the season is truly remarkable.

CONCUR.

He came up huge in the two most pivotal, high-stakes games of the year.

I really believe that Self pulled him aside at some point in the stretch between KSU-TCU and had a real man-to-man with him. Lucas even said something to that effect, that Self had challenged him. Part of that, I'm sure was telling Lucas to simply believe that he belongs there, on the court.

Self said after his monster game vs. WVU that Landon was recruited, honestly, as a filler player. And that his Dad was told that he wouldn't begin to shine until a couple years into the program. Despite all of that, he's worked his tail off, absorbed every detail of Self's system, and now is bringing it like a man out there. Yes, he can be a bit awkward, and yes, he had to learn to jump and dunk the darn ball. But he's doing that now, Ellis is finding him on the dishes, others are finding him on the alley-oops, and he's continuing to do what he's always done with rebounding and defense (his primary assets).

Will he have an "off" game in the future? Heck yes! But every single KU player has off games--many of them, to be exact. (See: Perry vs. UK and OSU, just as examples for a solid big) But I love what he's bringing now. He's essentially begun to fill the primary hole this team had, at the 5. And fill it rather nicely.

Here's hoping that continues. And may Self be deft at knowing when there might be a better matchup (Bragg? Diallo? Hunter? Traylor?) during some stretches in future games, as needed. We need all the arrows in our quiver, but right now at the 5 Lucas is the sharpest, most seasoned of the bunch, and the one that Ellis et al. feel most comfortable with. Lastly, per Self's edict, he gives KU the best chance to win.

Just my take. Folks know I'm not so sanguine about Traylor, but even he has given some good minutes ever since he, too, got challenged prior to the TCU game. Just keep the good performances going...and keep on winning! Everything else will take care of itself.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• ATXJayhawk
More
8 years 2 months ago #4041 by ATXJayhawk
No one has more top 50 RPI wins right now than KU. We are performing at a very high level and need to finish strong. A loss at K-State or Texas is certainly possible as they are tough defensive teams; especially at home.

Here's the top 20 RPI rankings and their rankings against the RPI top 50:

1. KU: 9-3 B) :lol: :silly:
2. OU: 7-3
3. Villanova: 6-3
4. Oregon: 8-3
5. Virginia: 8-2
6. Maryland: 5-3
7. Xaiver: 5-1
8. North Carolina: 3-3 :woohoo:
9. Miami (FL): 7-1
10. Iowa: 4-5
11. West Virginia: 5-4
12. Dayton: 5-2
13. Kentucky: 5-1 :evil:
14. SMU: 2-1
15. Iowa State: 7-6 :woohoo:
16. Michigan State: 6-4
17. Duke: 3-5 :woohoo: :blink: :silly:
18. Utah: 6-5
19. Notre Dame: 4-7
20: Purdue: 4-3

The following user(s) said Thank You: WAJayhawk

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4044 by konza63
...ATXJayhawk.

Well played, sir, well played! (The emoji next to Puke were my favorite)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4045 by konza63
Wow, talk about an outlier that I certainly didn't see coming in that top 5.

I know nothing about them. Zilch.

Anyone? Buehler? Anyone?

• ATXJayhawk
More
8 years 2 months ago #4049 by ATXJayhawk
Thanks Konza. I couldn't resist with Dukes terrible record against the RPI top 50. This is the time of the year where the contenders tend to separate themselves from the pack. KU is definitely separating themselves as we speak.

With that said, keep a watchful eye on Michigan State my friends.

Their team really scares me right now. They have all the stats of a national title winner right now. Their offensive and defensive efficiency is the best combo right now, they have the 3rd best opponent effective field goal %, they are 2nd in average scoring margin, and they have Valentine. They are essentially firing on all cylinders on both sides of the ball and we know how Izzo always seems to get his teams performing well heading into the tournament.

Michigan States Numbers: :blink: :unsure: :ohmy:

Ken Pom adjOFF Efficiency: 3
Ken Pom adjDEF Efficiency: 28
OFF Efficiency: 7
DEF Efficiency: 12
EFF FG %: 12
Opponent EFF FG%: 3
Average Scoring Margin: 2
Turnover %: 127 (How often you turn the ball over)
ORB %: 19 (The percentage of offensive rebounds you get per possession)

• ATXJayhawk
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4052 by ATXJayhawk
Konza, here's the rundown on the rankings for Oregon.

Ken Pom ranking: 20
Ken Pom adjOFF Efficiency: 13
Ken Pom adjDEF Efficiency: 68
OFF Efficiency: 56
DEF Efficiency: 68
Effective FG %: 82
Opponent Effective FG%: 125
Average Scoring Margin: 52
Turnover %: 62 (How often you turn the ball over)
ORB %: 106 (The percentage of offensive rebounds you get per possession)

Bottom line: THERE'S NOTHING TO SEE HERE...THERE'S A REASON THEY ARE RANKED 20TH IN KEN POMS RANKINGS RIGHT NOW. THEIR ONLY BIG WINS WERE AGAINST BAYLOR AT HOME, USC AT HOME, AND AT ARIZONA.

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by ATXJayhawk.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4053 by murphyslaw
Great post! It is nice to see kudos for a player who definitely has worked his way into a starting role.

Instead of cringing when he gets the ball, I excitedly hope he is able to score, and when he does, I'm thrilled for him and the team.

Time Warner's sports channel re-broadcasts KU games, especially the good ones, so I get to see things I missed. One of those things was Landen's rebound near the end of the OU game. He went up an inch or two above the OU's player's reach, and without an over-the-back foul was able to grab the ball. I thought it was a crucial play. We may have won without it, but it made me breathe a lot easier!

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4054 by konza63
Murph, I definitely remember that rebound. It was the perfect combination of want-to and skill (like his saying he would not be denied), and you're right--it was pivotal.

• hairyhawk
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4067 by hairyhawk
When they do these games against the top 50. Is that against the top 50 now or at the time the game was played.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4068 by murphyslaw
Wouldn't you love to see a still of that rebound as a screen saver? (And with the caption, "Here's How It's Done!)

BTW, Konza, I'm impressed with your grammar! I rarely see gerunds utilized correctly, but your usage of "his" instead of "him" warmed this long-time teacher's heart! (I mean no disrespect to those who have other skills which are just as important, of course!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 2 months ago #4070 by Bayhawk
:P

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• ATXJayhawk
More
8 years 2 months ago #4090 by ATXJayhawk
Lucas has 8 points and 6 rebounds at the half. Its official, we finally have our 5.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4096 by konza63
And yep, we do!

More
8 years 2 months ago #4101 by LasJayhawk
Dub dub. Career high 14 points. And getting better every game...

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4106 by Wheatstate Gal
Las---

Yet another nickname-- DubDub.

Goes with C-Note!

Happy Jayhawks everywhere! :lol:

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4123 by konza63
...Keegan did a nice piece on him after last night's game:

www2.kusports.com/news/2016/feb/15/tom-k...ness-work-benefitin/

Hard work, solid game IQ, fire, and skills. He's always had the first three going for him, and the fourth when it came to defense, rebounding, and performing his role in the system. Now that he's expanding that final category to the offensive end, he is becoming an important component of the KU machine.

Onward and upward, young man...

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4129 by Illhawk
As he started playing more he reminded me of Sasha. It seems he may have or reasonably could exceed Kaun's offensive prowess.