Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

"Big 12 still has a Kansas problem..."

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #4013 by HawkErrant
"...no one can unseat Jayhawks"
www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns...article60272216.html

But as the writer states, it's not KU's problem, and no conference meetings are required.

As to the national perception of the Big 12: the perception of league strength would not be at issue if Big 12 teams could make decent runs in the NCAAs, and especially if our guys had not rather routinely underperformed in the post-season. Two appearances in the Final Four and one NC in the last 8 tourneys is actually quite good, it's the second round losses that have been the bane.

With 6 games left, I do think the writer is gnashing his teeth way too far in advance, although I would certainly love for KU opponents to walk onto the court against KU with the same sense of fait accompli that Mac Engel seems to have.

Here's hoping he's right!

LET'S GO JAYHAWKS!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #4021 by LKF_HAWK
Hawks need to follow a simple mantra- just win! Six games to go, Hawks need to bring their lunchpal each and every game, tenacious D- dogs chasing a mailman ( or chewing on a bone) defense.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #4030 by konza63

Big 12, shame on you. No one team in a power conference such as the Big 12 should routinely embarrass the rest of the league the way Kansas has for more than a decade.

What is the author implying? That coaches should band together behind the scenes--as if playing a game of "Risk" and aligning in order to beat the guy who has large armies covering all of Asia--to take falls and what-not so that KU doesn't get a title? Or the Big 12 itself (Curtis Shaw, perhaps) instructing its officials to "go a little extra hard on KU" when calling our games, particularly on the road?

I mean, seriously. Other than these schools recruiting better (and most of the upper schools seem to be doing just fine there), coaching harder, or whatever, what does he really expect that they can do? KU under Self has just been that good.

And here's hoping that this continues--the consequences for national perception of the conference be damned--this season, next season, and beyond.

PS: Agreed that KU needs to win another national crown to prove that its dominance of the league is a major accomplishment (which it clearly is). Along with that, we need other teams (OU, here's looking at you) to go deep in the tourney as well. The ISU flameout last year (along with KU's and other early exits) made us a laughingstock, and diminished our accomplishment in league. Gotta step it up in post-season, just like all other sports, because that's what people remember the most long after a given season is in the books.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4033 by CorpusJayhawk
I thought the article was pretty much pap. The Big 12 has been the top ranked conference the last three years running and has been in the top 4 every season the last 11 years. There is no question that the Big 12 has under performed in the NCAA. That may be an indication that the conference rating has been inflated. It may be an indication the conference season has been brutal and has worn out the teams. It may be an indication of the types of teams the Big 12 has had. Who knows? But to imply that the Big 12 would be better off if KU were less dominant is pure balderdash. I do understand the point he is trying to make but the underlying proposition is flawed in my mind. That underlying proposition is that parity of outcome is most important. I simply do not buy that. Since Self has been at KU the Big 12 has had 20 of 126 1st or 2nd team AA's. They have had 2 POY. KU has not lacked for stiff competition. Several of the years in the 11 year reign we were picked 3rd or worse. We have not always had the best talent. I think the 11 year reign of dominance is vastly under appreciated nationally. Consider this. The average a priori probability for KU to win a share of the title is about 40%. The odds of winning 11 in a row is in the range of 1 in 24,000. What is more impressive is the odds of winning outright is more like 30% on average. The odds of winning 11 in a row is 1 in 565,000. Since we have won 3 shared the odds of our run is about 1 in 238,000. If you want to write and article about an amazing topic write about the reality of KU winning 12 in a row.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4035 by konza63

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

• hairyhawk
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4066 by hairyhawk
I think people underestimate how amazing this is. You summed it up very well by pointing out that even if you are the best team you still have about a 40% probability of winning the league. There have been a few years like last year that I do not think we had the talent to be the league champ. We were because of great effort and coaching. I think the improved play of all of our returners has really been great. I should say that it has been subtle and incremental for each of them individually, but that makes the difference for the team a lot. Hopefully the guys can stay on the up tic for the rest of the season. That is a lot of games to play at the highest level. It is impossible for most humans to make every game the most important game and believe in the need to completely lay it ALL out. I think the guys do try to do that, but it is rare that you can.