Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU on Positive/Upward Trend

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3957 by CorpusJayhawk
You can see KU started out with a bang against Baylor then had a tough game against OU followed by above projected win against Tech. Then we went into a 5 game funk where we under\performed all 5 games by an average of 14.2 points. That is a significant slump. We have since recovered in the last 4 games out performing the projections in all 4 games by an average of 4.3 points with each game improving. This is very encouraging.
Gm	Date	        Opponent	H/A/N	Exp      Act	Better/Worse
1	02-Jan-16	Baylor        	Home	12.25	 28	 15.753
2	04-Jan-16	Oklahoma       	Home	 9.19	  3	 -6.188
3	09-Jan-16	Texas Tech    	Away	 6.35	 10	  3.648
4	12-Jan-16	West Virginia 	Away	-5.41	-11	 -5.589
5	16-Jan-16	TCU           	Home	25.07	  7	-18.072
6	19-Jan-16	Oklahoma State	Away	 8.59	-19	-27.588
7	23-Jan-16	Texas         	Home	15.97	  9	 -6.968
8	25-Jan-16	Iowa State    	Away	-0.35	-13	-12.648
9	03-Feb-16	Kansas State  	Home	15.50	 18	  2.505
10	06-Feb-16	TCU           	Away	14.47	 19	  4.528
11	09-Feb-16	West Virginia	Home	 5.19	 10	  4.811
12	13-Feb-16	Oklahoma    	Away	-1.41	  4	  5.412

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, JayhawkChef, Socalhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #3972 by NotOstertag
Nice to see the trend back up my eyeball test. KSU and TCU didn't convince me of much, WVU gave me some hope, and OU confirmed it. Now we just need to keep from getting cocky and take care of business.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #3983 by HawkErrant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3986 by porthawk
That's a thought as well as possibly suffering the same emotional letdown after KU's win over OU in AFH. We were #1 and riding really high and then after that amazing win, our little slump started. The guys were pretty jacked up again after yesterday's win (coming back after blowing a big early lead, while doing this in Norman against a team seeking revenge against us). I hope they remember that and are very aware of keeping their intensity at a high level moving forward.

And I hope Devonte' continues to play with a chip on his shoulder. (He said he took it personally b/c Graham was told he couldn't guard the OU guards.) The game against Hield showed how capable he is of sticking with/staying in front of his man. It'll be interesting to see how well he defends Jawun Evans (OSU's PG) tomorrow night. He had been guarding him in the first game, but allowed lots of blow-bys (and was having trouble, in general, of keeping his man in front of him lately). If DG can have a defensive performance against OSU's PG tomorrow like he did against Hield, I'll feel extremely confident about him (and his D) moving forward!
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by porthawk.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3988 by konza63
Good point on Devonte, Porthawk. It's worth noting, though, that Hield isn't a prototypical flash/slash 1 guard (along the lines of Evans or Taylor at UT, or Ulis at UK). He has good handles, but he's more of a shooter who looks to gain space for the 3 or long 2 rather than take it all the way to the rim often. So that was a different assignment last night.

Given that, it's hard to say whether that phenomenal defensive performance will translate to the solid penetration guards that Graham has had some trouble with in the past (including the very recent past, as you mention). It would be great if that were the case--for him and Frank and Wayne, because the less we have to rely on second-stage rim protection and help D, the better off we'll be going forward.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3991 by JoJoHawk
Couldn't agree more- different styles lead to differing defensive need- I think between Frank D'Te we should have most situations covered now that they seem to be getting their legs back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3995 by porthawk
And yes, I hope the defensive performance does carry over to Monday (and the rest of the season, of course)!
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by porthawk.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #4008 by konza63
Injured shoulder.

On one hand, I'd like to destroy them with their best on the floor. On the other hand, I'd like to destroy them without our guys having to expend max energy, just to give them a bit of a break after what had to be an emotionally and physically draining game in Norman.

Regardless, there's a common theme in the above: Let's destroy them! :evil: :evil: :evil:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #4011 by HawkErrant

PS - Coincidentally IDAK is even wearing the right colors...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63