Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Random Ramblings on OU game

• Hawknmo
  • Hawknmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3942 by Hawknmo
First, what else can you say about Devonte? Lots of toughness and exceptional D. OK only for those of you who haven’t looked at the box score. In 30+ minutes of guarding the POY how many fouls did Graham have? 3? 4? Dude had 1 foul!!! He was credited with 2 T/O but I only remember 1. Great performance!!

I also thought Brannen had a good game. 50% from the field was huge. The 3 T/O weren’t too good but take his points away and Huggy’s boys have first place all to themselves. Now for the play that everyone is yapping about. Yes, he left his man alone in the corner when Cousins made his drive at the end of the first half. Yes, it was almost a back breaker. But I am here to tell you that if he doesn’t try and slide over on the help D his head coach would not have let him see the court in the second half. He said it in the interview before half. Its just how he wants it played. The 3 is “fools gold” to him. If you can make it “well you're just lucky, but my guys are gonna play tough help D.” It’s the recipe every mid major has used to beat him in March. Help on the driving guard, leave the shooter open, impossible recovery run to put up a hand and watch the net rip from the made 3. I know BG can be a knuckle head but IMHO he was doing exactly what his coach wanted.

Frank had another solid game. At least two of his fouls were “suspect” IMHO. Still seeing a lot of driving with no real plan in mind from Frank though. Lots of falling afterwards too. I would just like to see some more dishing. Only 3 assists. Great overall effort.

I thought Bragg did very well. He just needs more PT without the fear of the quick hook I think. If he knew he was for sure gonna get 5-10 minutes I believe we would see a different player.

Jamari brought his standard energy but not much else today.

Diallo looked a little lost today. A middle schooler trying to play with the freshman team is what it reminded me of. Good effort, but always a step behind.

Perry was just OK I thought. We actually played better in the first half when he was on the bench. He made some big shots in the second half, but missed some shorty shorts in the first.

Wayne was Claude Rains. Did he make the trip to Norman?

Lucas. The box score says he only missed one shot. I would have guessed it was more like 5. It also says he only had 2 T/Os. I would have said much higher than that as well. I know he is a rebounding machine. I know he has paid his dues. I’m sure he’s the best player in practice HCBS has ever seen. I just don’t get it. No one will ever convince me that rebounding wins games. It makes coaches happy. It’s a great indicator of effort. The last time I checked the rule book though rebounds don’t count on the scoreboard. Shots made from inside two feet do count and he isn’t very good at those. The bromance continues though and only graduation will end it.

Feeling pretty good about the rest of our home games. Even ISU. The UT game is even starting to look a bit easier after today. I know it sounds weird but the game I have started to get the jitters about is next Sat in Manhattan. Baylor doesn’t worry me too much, but KSU seems to really elevate their game now and then and I think next Saturday they might be on a peak instead of a valley. That could be the game that costs this team an outright championship. We all know the real game was OSU but the Kats will be hungry to steal some thunder I am sure. We could use some help from either UT or OU in beating the Huggsters, but the road looks much better after today.

Paybacks are you know what Coach Ford. Heck, HCBS might let everybody dunk on Monday night even if they are up by 25.

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3948 by konza63
Good ramblings. ;) I enjoyed the thoughts and share most of your perspective.

Two quibbles:

RE Brannen, I personally have less of a problem with the help overplays (which were multiple in nature tonight, not just one) than his putrid 1:1 defense (that is, his primary matchup responsibility). As I posted in the "Devonte and the Miracles" thread, the dude was a sieve out there. He has no lateral defensive step at all, and his technique is terrible. It's really head-scratching, because it's not that hard to learn and execute. Until he learns how to simply keep his man in front of him and/or relatively tied up, he'll continue to be a one-sided player (shooter) with some rebounding ability to boot--but an inadequate defender. However, he brings such spark and efficiency on the shooting side that Self seems to be growing more patient with the liability side on D (witness the fact that he played a huge 25 minutes tonight, despite numerous defensive gaffes).

RE Lucas, I think you're possibly stuck in a time warp on him. (Meaning: you're not seeing how he's changed since Self challenged him a few games back) He's been huge of late, and he's now going beyond his primary role (rebound, take up space in the lane, help free up Perry) to adding offense. He missed an easy layup tonight, but overall played exactly the type of role with Ellis that we need. I've been on the "Free Diallo" march for most of the season (with Bragg being more of a 4 than a 5), but that ship has sailed, IMO. Diallo didn't get sufficient playing time early in the year to develop and mature enough, and Self simply doesn't trust him in big games. I now share that assessment, and it's obvious that Lucas is the smartest, most experienced 5 we have to work with. I like the Lucas:Traylor minutes ratio, in particular, that we saw tonight: 28:11. Almost 3:1 for the guy who actually does the most and makes the least amount of mistakes in all phases of the game, relative to the other (Traylor). I can only speak for me, but I'm now okay with how we're playing in the paint with Lucas, the newly aggressive Ellis (less so tonight, but that's the anomaly), and Bragg, Diallo, and Traylor getting the other minutes as Self deems fit. I'm also down with the fact that Self seems to see Bragg's and Diallo's upside as coming far more into play next year, should they not make a dumb mistake and enter the NBA draft at this unready stage.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

More
8 years 2 months ago #3952 by mpeterson44
I agree with your thoughts Konza but think one name is missing. What has happened with Hunter? Is his ankle strain permanent? Curios if anyone has heard what is going on with him. He could be a difference maker. Does he participate in warm ups? Does he seem OK? What gives?

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #3954 by konza63
I didn't include him for the same reason that Newell and all other beat reporters aren't really mentioning him: for whatever reason, he is gone from the rotation for Self.

I have watched for him closely on the bench of late, and he's there, cheering and standing up for big plays, etc. I agree that he could've been a nice platoon with Landon (going with the hot hand and/or mixing and matching based on respective strengths), but that ship, too, seems to have sailed. If that changes, he'll be back in the discussion, to be sure.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3968 by porthawk
was a terrible call. As Bilas noted with conviction.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3996 by porthawk
Konza wrote:

He has no lateral defensive step at all, and his technique is terrible. It's really head-scratching, because it's not that hard to learn and execute. Until he learns how to simply keep his man in front of him and/or relatively tied up, he'll continue to be a one-sided player (shooter) with some rebounding ability to boot--but an inadequate defender.

Konza, totally agree with you about Greene's on-ball defense. Just thought it was worth mentioning that he was guarding Woodard (a 6' guard) for a good amount of time last night. That is certainly not a good match-up for him. Having said that, yes, the dude needs to work on his anticipation and lateral movement!
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by porthawk.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3999 by Senex68
Green is not a great defensive player. But he's 6'7" and at his height it's hard enough to guard guys your own size. Guarding a quick guard is not easy for Frank, let alone Green.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds