Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Well, that worked out nicely, didn't it?

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3933 by NotOstertag
Going back to the poll, the number of people on the board that thought we'd sweep the WVU-OU week was pretty small.

So proud of our guys today. Devonte "flipped a switch" today and likely realized that what he THOUGHT was his ceiling was a few stories lower than it really is. This kind of epiphany is huge, and I expect that he's suddenly coming to terms with the fact that yesterday he thought he was a "pretty good player" but really has the potential to be "the man". When you shut down the POY, outscore him, and have a better all around line in the box score....IN THE POY'S HOUSE...that's a big deal. Couldn't be happening at a better time.

Lucas is also playing at a new level...Jamari too. Bragg and Diallo are still fighting for minutes, but this team certainly gelled this week.

So looking at the whole big deal....

3 teams entered the weekend tied for 1st place, and with KU@OU, only 2 would emerge. KU emerged, which is great. But a couple of other things happened on the way to the bar....

Baylor lost to Tech at home?!? Who saw that coming? Had Baylor won (as expected), they'd be tied with OU for 2nd place. Instead, they're 2 games back. That's a good thing.

That made ISU/Texas a big game. Had Texas won, they'd have been 8-4, tied with OU and one game back. ISU, however, held home court, and that sent Texas into the 7-5 logjam two games behind KU and WVU.

Looking forward, KU has the opportunity for some payback vs. OSU when the Cowpokes visit AFH on Monday. Perhaps the bigger game, however, is when Huggy and the pipeswingers travel to Austin to visit Shaka Smart's Longhorns. It is VERY possible that Texas will win at home, and if so, KU could be alone in 1st place by the end of the work week.

Bottom line, our guys need to just win, baby. The rest will take care of itself. I'm loving that Devonte has found a new level, that Landon has turned a corner, that Jamari role has been clarified, and that Carlton and Chieck are getting minutes. Our weaknesses are being addressed, and our strengths are being accentuated. Huge win today. I'm officially declaring our mid-season slump "over".

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, jayhawk969

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.