Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

1 game to go in the Big 12 season

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4391 by HawkErrant
BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT:
KU's MAGIC #: 2 wins guarantees at least a share of its 12th straight Big 12 title
KU can lose 1 of its last 4 games and still have #12 all to itself.
BU, OU and WVU all have a shot at a share of the title should KU lose 2.

BIG 12 STANDINGS UPDATED THRU SATURDAY 2016-02-20 10:30 PM CST
		BIG 12			OVERALL				
AP TEAM		W-L	GB	PCT	W-L	PCT	STRK
 Big 12	W-L	GB	PCT	W-L	PCT	STRK
 2 Kansas	11-3	--	.786	23-4	.852	W7
 3 Oklahoma	9-5	2	.643	21-5	.808	W1
25 Baylor	9-5	2	.643	20-7	.741	W2
10 W Virginia	9-5	2	.643	20-7	.741	L2
13 Iowa State	8-6	3	.571	19-8	.704	W1
24 Texas	8-6	3	.571	17-10	.630	L1
   Texas Tech	7-7	4	.500	17-9	.654	W4
   Kansas St	4-10	7	.286	15-12	.556	L1
   Oklahoma St	3-11	8	.214	12-15	.444	L2
   TCU		2-12	9	.143	11-16	.407	L3
Everyone has 4 games left, all 2 home and 2 away.

Regarding the leaders --

KU plays at Baylor on Tuesday, hosts Tech on Saturday, visits Austin on Big Monday Feb 29, and then hosts ISU on Saturday March 5 for the Kansas season finale Senior Night (DAY?) game on ESPN2 (time still TBA).

BU, OU and WVU are now 2 games back.

But BU has to play 3 of its last 4 against OU in Norman and KU and WVU at home, so the odds are against them getting a share.

OU and WVU each have no more head-to-heads with each other (or KU), so their weaker remaining schedules give them the best chance of catching KU.

ISU and tu are 3 games back and practically if not mathematically out of the title race.

REMAINING ROAD GAMES FOR THE TOP 6 ENTERING THE WEEKEND
KU - BU, tu; projected loses: 1 (tu. Hope I am wrong about tu as I was about OU!)
BU - TCU, OU; projected losses: 1 (OU)
OU - tu, TCU; projected losses: 0 (After OU @WVU and BU @tu today, I think OU wins out)
WV - OSU, BU; projected losses: 0
ISU - WV, KU; projected losses: 2
tu - KSU, OSU; projected losses: 1 KSU

REMAINING HOME GAMES FOR THE TOP 6 ENTERING THE WEEK
KU - TT, ISU; projected losses: 0 (where's that fingers crossed icon? :silly: )
BU - KU, WV; projected losses: 2 (KU, WV)
OU - OSU, BU; projected losses: 0
WV - ISU, TT; projected losses: 0 (and OU proved me wrong Saturday, so maybe one of these guys will, too!)
ISU - KSU, OSU; projected losses: 0
tu - KU, OU; projected losses: 2 (what a difference a weekend can make!)

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK KU!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: fix "thru" time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4481 by NotOstertag
With a 2 game lead and 4 to play, it's less about what the other guys do and all about what our guys do. In other words, even if one of the 9-5 teams win out, we need to 1-3 or worse not to get at least a share of the championship. If we finish 1-3, we'd be completely off the rails, and likely looking at early exits from the post season tourneys. The only way I see that happening would be something tragic.

Bottom line, 2-2 what we need. If we win tomorrow, the magic number is 1, and we can clinch at home on Saturday.

The scary side (if there is one) would be losing tomorrow which would cut our lead to 1 game with 3 left, and we'd need to win 2 of 3 to lock things up.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #4483 by konza63

If we win tomorrow, the magic number is 1, and we can clinch at home on Saturday.

[/i]

Would that be sweet, or what? Taking down TT and being able to already cut down some nets or celebrate the crown with two games yet to go (including Senior Day). In the toughest league in America, no less!

I know Baylor looked great on Saturday, securing the only win that a Big 12 team has achieved on UT's home court this year. And doing it in blowout fashion. I know, too, that we had to invest a lot of mental and physical energy in the K-State game. But for whatever reason, I think we're going to bring a solid game in Waco. Hopefully it will be enough and we'll get that "Saturday prize" scenario. Then we can all relax and start dreaming about the tourney! (Knowing, of course, that we still have a couple games to play and then the Big 12 tourney--which I personally wish we didn't have to play, in some ways...)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #4487 by HawkErrant

konza63 wrote:

NotO wrote:If we win tomorrow, the magic number is 1, and we can clinch at home on Saturday.

[/i]

Would that be sweet, or what? Taking down TT and being able to already cut down some nets or celebrate the crown with two games yet to go (including Senior Day). In the toughest league in America, no less!

I know Baylor looked great on Saturday, securing the only win that a Big 12 team has achieved on UT's home court this year. And doing it in blowout fashion. I know, too, that we had to invest a lot of mental and physical energy in the K-State game. But for whatever reason, I think we're going to bring a solid game in Waco. Hopefully it will be enough and we'll get that "Saturday prize" scenario. Then we can all relax and start dreaming about the tourney! (Knowing, of course, that we still have a couple games to play and then the Big 12 tourney--which I personally wish we didn't have to play, in some ways...)

At 14-3, Baylor has the worst home court record of any still in the chase, and tu is 13-2 in Erwin. And while we may be a little exhausted after the KState game, you can bet the same is true for the Bears after taking down tu in Erwin. Time to eat some bahr!

What am I saying?
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4491 by konza63
LOL. I'd say we have more than a chance if this is our comparator:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #4493 by HawkErrant
:P :huh: :woohoo: ;)

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #4627 by HawkErrant
BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT:
KU's MAGIC #: 1 win guarantees at least a share of its 12th straight Big 12 title
If KU wins 2, #12 is all theirs!
OU and WVU still have a shot at a share of the title should KU lose 2.
BIG 12 STANDINGS UPDATED THRU TUESDAY 2016-02-23 10:15 PM
AP School		Big 12	GB	Pct.	Overall	Pct.	Streak	COMMENTS
  2 Kansas		12-3	--	.800	24-4	.857	W8
14 West Virginia	10-5	2	.667	21-7	.750	W1
 3 Oklahoma		9-5	2.5	.643	21-5	.808	W1	host OSU Wednesday
19 Baylor		9-6	3	.600	20-8	.714	L1
25 Texas		9-6	3	.600	18-10	.643	W1
------------- MATHEMATICALLY OUT OF TITLE CONTENTION -------------------------------------
17 Iowa State		8-7	4	.533	19-9	.679	L1
   Texas Tech		8-7	4	.533	18-9	.667	W5
   Kansas State		4-11	8	.267	15-13	.536	L2
   Oklahoma State	3-11	8.5	.214	12-15	.444	L2	@OU Wednesday
   TCU			2-13	10	.133	11-17	.393	L4
After Wednesday night, everyone will have 3 games left, with WVU and most likely OU tied 2 games back.

At best, KU ends the regular season on a sweep.
At second best for KU, KU wins just 1 more and ends up in a tie with WVU and possibly OU.
At worst, the wheels fall off and KU gets passed by OU or WVU.
Please make all the appropriate sacrifices to the basketball gods that are customary in your household to ensure the worst does not happen.

NEXT UP FOR OUR JAYHAWKS -- The Red Raiders come to Lawrence (11:00 AM CST game) to get lost in the Phog, KU earning a least a share of its 12th straight Big 12 regular season title! Here's to our Jayhawks ensuring that event happens!

KU has one road game left, at tu this coming Monday night, then finishes against ISU on Senior Day at 3:00 PM Saturday, 5 March.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK KU!

REMAINING ROAD GAMES FOR THE TOP 5 ENTERING THE WEEKEND
KU - tu; projected losses: 0 Keep on trucking, Jayhawks!
WV - OSU, BU; projected losses: 0
OU - tu, TCU; projected losses: 0 (I've changed my mind about the tu game, OU is back on track)
BU - TCU, OU; projected losses: 1 (OU)
tu - OSU; projected losses: 0

REMAINING HOME GAMES FOR THE TOP 5 ENTERING THE WEEKEND
KU - TT, ISU; projected losses: 0 (guys, please don't prove me wrong! :ohmy: )
WV - TT; projected losses: 0
OU - BU; projected losses: 0
BU - WV; projected losses: 1
tu - OU, KU; projected losses: 2 (OU and KU are impressing as the season closes out)

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4629 by konza63
A couple folks have already asked this question in game-related threads, but it's worth calling out here as we look ahead to Saturday.

What's the Flock think? Should Self and the team reward themselves with a net-cutting ceremony if they win on Saturday at home, thereby assuring KU of at least a shared title...for #12?

Speaking just for me, I say HECK YEAH! I really feel they deserve to take a pause, pat themselves on the back, and soak in the moment at the Barn. Then go out and take care of business in the final two games (or one of them) to secure sole possession of the title.

A title is a title is a title, and rewarding themselves at the moment of securing a shared crown seems very appropriate, IMO, for this grind-it-out and never-say-die team. I'm curious how others feel about it...

More
8 years 2 months ago #4646 by Bayhawk
RC!

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
8 years 2 months ago #4652 by NotOstertag

I think we're going to bring a solid game in Waco.

Good prediction!

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4677 by Wheatstate Gal
Agree, Brother Bay!

Or we can save the ceremony until Sr night after the victory over ISU.

A celebration best "had" at home...in OUR house. :silly:

Personally, I would find it horribly classless to cut nets in TU's arena after our victory there.

Didn't Billy Tubbs cut nets in "the Allen Fieldhouse" once? Didn't we all go apoplectic?

I don't want KU and HCBS ever mentioned in the same breath as Billy Tubbs.

"miss manners" :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4684 by konza63

Didn't Billy Tubbs cut nets in "the Allen Fieldhouse" once? Didn't we all go apoplectic?

[/i]

The Scoundrel otherwise known as Billy Tubbs most certainly did. And yes, that was the reaction. :ohmy: :evil: :ohmy:

No one (save for Norm, I submit) loved to jab his stick into the Jayhawk hornet nest more than The Billy... (But Norm did it with a wry semi-dignity, while The Billy was just an uncivil rube)

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #4690 by HawkErrant
Tubbs used to tick me off, but I must confess that I always appreciated his not being phony about who he was. He told it like he saw it, and did what he wanted, and to heck with anyone who didn't see it his way.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #4695 by konza63
Spot on. He took great pleasure in knowing that we despised him. And I can now look back and semi-laugh at his antics. But man, oh man, did I have unbounded wrath for that guy back in the day--in part because OU was so darn good, so brash, so athletic, and such a thorn in our side.

But ultimately, these cats (the good guys) got the last laugh:

And interestingly enough, you can argue that Tubbs and OU never were quite the same behemoth after that shocker of a game for all the marbles down in the West Bottoms of KC...

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #4743 by HawkErrant
SATURDAY FEB 27 BIG 12 SCHEDULE
Source: www.big12sports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_...D=13134&SPSID=106112
DATE  		HOME		VISITOR			LOCATION		TIME 		TV
Sat,  Feb 27	Kansas		Texas Tech		Lawrence, Kan.		11:00 a.m.	ESPN
Sat,  Feb 27	Texas		Oklahoma		Austin, Texas		1:00 p.m.	CBS
Sat,  Feb 27	Oklahoma St	West Virginia		Stillwater, Okla.	5:00 p.m.	ESPNU
Sat,  Feb 27	Iowa State	Kansas State		Ames, Iowa		5:00 p.m.	ESPN2
Sat,  Feb 27	TCU		Baylor			Fort Worth, Texas	7:00 p.m.	ESPNU
It's too bad that Tech in AFH is the 11:00 AM game and not the 7:00pm game. If that were the case, the guys could go into the game knowing whether they were playing to ensure at least a tie, or playing for all the marbles for themselves.

It would also render this discussion moot, I would think. :huh: I know *I* would cut them after a win if we had already backed into at least a tie thanks to the other guys losing earlier in the day.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4773 by HawkErrant
BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT:
KU's MAGIC #: 1 win (or OU and WVU losses) to share, 2 wins for having it all to ourselves even if OU and WVU win out.
OU and WVU still have a shot at a share of the title if they win out and KU were to lose 2.
Everybody plays this Saturday.
BIG 12 STANDINGS UPDATED THRU TUESDAY 2016-02-24 10:15 PM
AP School		Big 12	GB	Pct.	Overall	Pct.	Streak	COMMENTS
 2 Kansas		12-3	--	.800	24-4	.857	W8	hosts Tech 11:00 AM
 3 Oklahoma		10-5	2	.667	22-5	.815	W2	@tu 1:00 PM
14 West Virginia	10-5	2	.667	21-7	.750	W1	@OSU 5:00 PM
19 Baylor		9-6	3	.600	20-8	.714	L1	@TCU 7:00 PM
25 Texas		9-6	3	.600	18-10	.643	W1	hosts OU 1:00 PM
------------- MATHEMATICALLY OUT OF TITLE CONTENTION -------------------------------------
17 Iowa State		8-7	4	.533	19-9	.679	L1	hosts KSU 5:00 PM
   Texas Tech		8-7	4	.533	18-9	.667	W5	@KU 11:00 AM
   Kansas State		4-11	8	.267	15-13	.536	L2	@ISU 5:00 PM
   Oklahoma State	3-12	9	.200	12-16	.429	L3	hosts WVU 5:00 PM
   TCU			2-13	10	.133	11-17	.393	L4	hosts BU 7:00 pm
Okay, okay, yes, there is a third scenario -- at worst, the wheels fall off, KU goes on a 3 game losing streak, to include on Senior Day, and our beloved Jayhawks get passed by OU and/or WVU.
But as Corpus will insist, that's simply --

Still, I repeat the request that all the appropriate sacrifices to the basketball gods that are customary in your household be made to ensure the worst does not happen.

ROCK CHALK!

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #4993 by HawkErrant
BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT:
KU's MAGIC #: 0, but another win guarantees the12th straight Big 12 title belongs all to KU and no one else!
BIG 12 STANDINGS UPDATED THRU TUESDAY 2016-02-23 10:15 PM
AP School	Big 12	GB	Pct.	Overall	Pct.	Streak	COMMENTS
 2 Kansas	13-3	--	.813	25-4	.862	W9
14 WVU		11-5	2	.688	22-7	.759	W2
 3 Oklahoma	10-6	3	.625	22-6	.786	L1
19 Baylor	10-6	3	.625	21-8	.724	W1
25 Texas	10-6	3	.625	19-10	.655	W2
17 Iowa State	9-7	4	.563	20-9	.690	W1
  Texas Tech	8-8	5	.500	18-10	.643	L1
  Kansas St	4-12	9	.250	15-14	.517	L3
  Oklahoma St	3-13	10	.188	12-17	.414	L4
  TCU		2-14	11	.125	11-18	.379	L5
After Saturday night, everyone has 2 games left, with WVU 2 games back and the only chance to tie KANSAS for the title.

At best, KU ends the regular season all alone in first, either with a sweep of tu and ISU (please! and thank you!) or splitting the last two games.
At worst, the wheels fall off and WVU ties KU for the title. (Can I say "Go Baylor!?!")
Please make all the appropriate sacrifices to the basketball gods that are customary in your household to ensure the worst does not happen.

NEXT UP FOR OUR JAYHAWKS -- KU travels to The Erwin Center! tu has lost there twice this year already, time to cue up L3.
KU finishes against ISU on Senior Day at 3:00 PM Saturday, 5 March.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK KU!

REMAINING ROAD GAMES FOR THE TOP 2 ENTERING THE WEEKEND
KU - tu; projected losses: 0 Keep on trucking, Jayhawks!
WV - BU; projected losses: 0

REMAINING HOME GAMES FOR THE TOP 2 ENTERING THE WEEKEND
KU - ISU; projected losses: 0 (guys, please don't prove me wrong! :ohmy: )
WV - TT; projected losses: 0

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 1 month ago #5332 by HawkErrant
BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT:
SENIOR DAY for the BIG 12 CHAMPS!
BIG 12 STANDINGS 
UPDATED THRU WEDNESDAY 2016-03-02 10:15 PM
AP Sch 	B12   GB  Pct.	TOTAL Pct.  Strk COMMENTS
 1 KU	14-3  -- .824	26-4  .867  W10  B12 CHAMPS!
MATHEMATICALLY OUT OF TITLE CONTENTION
10 WVU	12-5   2 .706	23-7  .767  W3
 6 OU	11-6   3 .647	23-6  .793  W1
19 BU	10-7   4 .588	21-9  .700  L1
21 ISU	10-7   4 .588	21-9  .700  W2
23 tu	10-7   4 .588	19-11 .633  L1
   TT	 8-9   6 .471   18-11 .621  L2
   KSU	 5-12  9 .294	16-14 .533  W1
   OSU	 3-14 11 .176	12-18 .400  L5
   TCU	 2-15 12 .118	11-19 .367  L6

REMAINING BIG 12 GAMES (all times are Central)
FRI OSU v tu Stillwater, OK  8:00 p.m. ESPN2
SAT TCU v OU Fort Worth, TX 12:00 p.m. ESPNEWS
SAT BU v WVU Waco, TX        1:00 p.m. ESPN
SAT TT v KSU Lubbock, TX     2:00 p.m. ESPNEWS
SAT KU v ISU Lawrence, KS    3:00 p.m. ESPN
SENIOR DAY for KU is literally the last game of the Big 12 regular season.
Go out in style, Jayhawks!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK KU!

Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant. Reason: reformat tables for mobile device display