Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Self has WAY more self-control than I do...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3924 by konza63
I have to say...that Coach's ability to keep his composure (and even flash a sarcastic smile) tonight in the face of horrible referee calls was nothing short of other-worldly.

Seriously, after all the bizarre touch fouls on Frank and others, the ball that Cousins deflected out that went to OU (even though Cousins gave away the call by flying after the ball-signaling how he KNEW he last touched it!), the Buddy Hield tomahawk chop on Landon after a huge rebound/retrieval on the sideline very late in the game (resulting in a forced turnover), and multiple other plays that I could cite ad nauseum...I personally would've been following Bobby Knight's lead if I were in Self's shoes:

Hats off to Coach for somehow keeping it all in check in a very high-stakes game. That composure was absolutely crucial to keeping the boys on an even keel, and it underscores why he's a future HoF coach and I'm just a guy sitting at a keyboard tapping out observations on the game! :S

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #3931 by HawkErrant
I was a post-grad student at IU the year Bobby threw the chair. I was *NOT* at the game, but that moment was all *anybody* on campus was talking about over the course of the next few days.

Of course, as fans of the Big 12 and the Big 8, we have our own fond memories of coaches behaving badly as a result of poor officiating. This Big 8 incident is an all time "Greatest Hit" for a coach drawing a T...

The story behind Tubbs behind the mike

And yes, I'm glad we have our Self! :woohoo:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #3939 by mpeterson44
Seems like the refs have been against us lately. I can see a missed call here and there if it goes both ways. We have been on the short end of that of late. No way should Devonte have been called for that touch foul against Buddy. I also didn't see the foul on Frank's fifth. On another note refs gave one to Puke today. Horrible call and not corrected as it should have been since it was during the final two minutes if I understand the rules correctly.

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 2 months ago #3946 by Sieverling
Wasn't it in Puerto Rico?

Hic manebimus optime

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3949 by konza63
Based on the fact that HE was on campus then, and that it came against Purdue, I don't think so. I think the Puerto Rico incident was him accosting a cop or security guard during the Pan American Games.

Someone actually compiled a list of Knight's incidents. Whether it's the Full Monty or not, I have no idea. :unsure:

www.chron.com/sports/college-basketball-...b-Knight-1849372.php

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.