Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

What impressed me most

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3917 by murphyslaw
besides DeVonte's outstanding game both offensively and defensively, was the fact that the 'Hawks kept their poise when OU started making shots and despite the refs' questionable calls.

It was as if they expected OU to make a game out of it, and they were prepared. Sure, there were some silly unforced turnovers and bad decisions, but they righted the ship and were the better team tonight. These Jayhawks seem to have grown up during the past few games!

I admire Hield's talent, but tonight he showed that he is, after all, human. And thanks to Graham, he wasn't able to dominate as he has in the past.

What a great win! I'm still feeling the joy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3923 by konza63
A few weeks ago, this team would've folded like a cheap pup tent in the driving rain. But not today. OU completely flipped the game around and was in the driver's seat, with the zebras handing the game to them (and taking it away from KU) over and OVER and OVER again. My frustration with the refs this year has truly reached the boiling point, because it's like they are trying so hard to help KU foes hang in against us...but even with that, playing 5 on 8, and with OU rolling, we hung in there. We showed poise, toughness, and want-to. And we didn't let a call or a botched possession eat us up on the next play.

Whatever Self and the guys have co-discovered over the past 3 games, I certainly hope they bottle it up and preserve it (and advance it out further) for the weeks ahead, because this is a seriously dangerous, mentally tough, increasingly cohesive, multi-headed team that we're watching evolve and grow before our eyes.

Very impressive. All the more so because todays great win came in Norman, against such a solid, well-coached team, in a revenge game, with the GameDay crew on hand, and with the zebras doing OU all kinds of favors.

I'm so proud of our guys. Keep it up!!!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3929 by big g
what really impresses me, and i may be wrong about this, but i think that over the last five games we've had five different mvps. has this ever been true for us or any other top 10 team, maybe ever? instead of being talked abt for our balance people tend to focus on our lack of one go-to player. you get this kind of balance from a real team who share the ball and cheer each others success ( did everyone see how genuinely happy devonte's teammates were for him today?) and you get it from a hall of fame coach who gets his team to focus on what the defenders are giving us ( which of course is usually not the guy their scouts saw light up the opposition in some recent victory). ive been really disappointed to see how negative many on this board became after a couple of losses. not because we shldnt all be upset when we dont play our best but because often we were far too quickly substituting our judgement for a world class coach who obvi knows his players far better than us. its now clear for example that he saw what lucas cld give us once he got some playing time with a group that wanted him in there. when you let a good team help make decisions like this they will work even harder to make those decisions work. only bad coaches think being successful is having the best possible player at each position. the good ones understand its abt team and ultimately its abt getting exceptional results from ( sometimes ) unexceptional players--- ku and self have a long history of bigs who were this ( see 2008 bigs for example). i love this board, especially the provacative posters who get us all to think. i just wish the lows werent quite so low; it ruins my day sometimes when i read the really bad postings. finally i think its time to say with confidence that this team will win the conference yet again this year and, particularly given the absense of any dominant team this year, we may well enter the post season as the legit favorite to win it all. thats certainly my expectation. best to all
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, jhawkgib