Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Meanwhile, in another conference

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3762 by HawkErrant
After tonight's 94-83 win over LSU, Frank Martin's Gamecocks have forged a 3 way tie for first in the SEC with LSU and Kenyucky.
SEC			CONFERENCE	OVERALL
AP TEAM			W-L	GB	PCT	W-L	PCT	STRK
   South Carolina	8-3	--	.727	21-3	.875	W2
22 Kentucky		8-3	--	.727	18-6	.750	W2
   LSU			8-3	--	.727	15-9	.625	L1
15 Texas A&M		7-4	1	.636	18-6	.750	L3
   Florida		7-4	1	.636	16-8	.667	W1
   Georgia		6-5	2	.545	13-9	.591	L1
   Vanderbilt		6-5	2	.545	14-10	.583	W1
   Ole Miss		5-6	3	.455	15-9	.625	L1
   Alabama		5-6	3	.455	14-9	.609	W3
   Arkansas		5-6	3	.455	12-12	.500	L1
   Tennessee		5-6	3	.455	12-12	.500	W1
   Mississippi State	3-8	5	.273	10-13	.435	W1
   Auburn		3-8	5	.273	9-14	.391	L6
   Missouri		1-10	7	.091	8-16	.333	L9

At 21-3, how is SC not ranked?
All 3 losses in conference road games.
Granted, against middle of the road teams, and the SEC is not that great this year, but still -- 21-3 and not ranked?
Bet they will be next week!

And >sigh< my Ags have hit their midseason slump after a great start. :dry:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #3764 by JRhawk
When I saw your conference reference was to the SEC, I thought it would be to point out MU's lowly perch.
About SC, SOS 202 (one version). Losses to Ala, GA, & Tenn (not exactly a murderer's row). They get UK this Sat. I know the media's go to poll is the AP, but personally I give much more credence to the Coaches poll, which has SC at 20.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3766 by CorpusJayhawk
The Massey composite has them (South Carolina) ranked 30th. I would use the Massey composite as the gospel since it is the composite of 60 computer rankings of all types. My DPPI which is a predictor algorithm has them ranked 39th. They are ranked as low as 87th by RoundTable. Their SOS is extrmemely poor and their margin of victory is low. So if you are building a results type computer algorithm they could be ranked in the high teens. But virtually all of the predictor models have them much lower. Probably the most well known predictor algorithm is Sagarin and he has them ranked 46th. Yes, they will move up this week possibly even to 25th or slightly better in the composite. The predictors will still have them outside the top 25.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #3767 by JRhawk
Thanks for all the info. Amazing how many types of ratings and rating services there are.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3768 by NotOstertag
Just wondering if any KC locals have heard from my favorite local newscaster, Jack Harry, crowing about his beloved Tigers? I'm sure that he's probably rejoiced in our struggles, but 1-10 in a weakened SEC? At least when they got to pay us 2x a year, they'd have a reason to lay off the meth for a few hours. Now? Not so much.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #3771 by konza63
:P :P :P

No sign of the red-toupee'd carnival barker...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 2 months ago #3773 by Hawknmo
Not in KC but listen to KC radio on the net. Jack is retired. He does however still do some radio. He has repeatedly said what is going on in Columbia MO is "bad basketball" and "unwatchable". As for our beloved Hawks he has joined the media mantra of " until somebody else wins the Big 12...its KUs to lose". No real "barking" as of yet.

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!