Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

So I was thinking -- always dangerous...

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3728 by Bayhawk
And it occurred to me that repeatedly on this board we have called for a "team leader" to emerge. Somebody to say, "I will not lose here, I will not lose today" and inspire the team during the game. Well, while we are pleased with last night's performance (some more than others to be sure), did a leader emerge? Bedore and Keegan will nominate Landen, but is he a leader? No. [Ed. note: I wouldn't argue with him about it in person!! :ohmy: ].

I've always said "Frank the tank" was our man, but now I think he is the soldier willing to dive on a grenade to save his squad, but not a team leader (IMHO). :pinch: Perry is a silent sentinel of the box scores; After each game I ask myself, "When did Perry get all those points?" But a team leader? No. Selden stepped up a couple of times, but again, not the leader. Devonte'? Please, . . .

Is this our true Achilles' heel? :(

We'll know in a few weeks,

RC A&F (Always and Forever) ;)

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #3730 by ATXJayhawk
I completely agree and it's been a problem since Tyshawn left KU. You could even go back to Sherron. KU has a point guard problem and we really need a premier guy who we can trust to drive and finish at the rim late in games. How many times have we seen Frank drive the lane with 3 or 4 guys defending and his "layup" gets blocked? I've lost count.

We have several guys who will step up in a game, but we don't have that one go to guard who you would trust with the ball late in the game. Think of Buddy Hield, Denzel Valentine, Marcus Paige, Melo Trimble, Tyler Ulis, Monte Morris, or Fred VanVleet. Case and point OU gave the ball to Hield with 14 seconds left in the Texas game on Monday and he nailed a 3 to win them the game. Denzel Valentine got the ball late in last nights Michigan State at Purdue game and he missed a 3 pointer that would have won them the game with like 2 seconds left.

We do however have Perry who is our silent assassin. He seems to be in a more aggressive streak right now and I absolutely love it. Not having that go to guy who can lead the team late in games could bite us in the tourney, but having two point guards in late game situations would favor us depending on the matchup. It's kind of a wait and see game right now, but Frank needs to continue driving to the lane and Devonte needs to continue hitting 3's.

Crimson and blue looks so much better than burnt orange!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #3732 by konza63

Well, while we are pleased with last night's performance (some more than others to be sure), did a leader emerge?

Perhaps not, but a TEAM did.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

• Bayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3733 by Bayhawk
I've always thought so, but I think a lot of things . . . :P

RC

-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #3735 by NYCJayhawk
I've always had mixed feelings about this concept. What we as observers see as a team leader may not at all match how the team themselves view it. We look for outward signs of leadership...but what does that actually mean?

Honestly, what I am more excited about is TEAM. Seeing a group of guys play hard together with singleminded intent. Knowing what each brings to the table, and how they can help each other do those things. And that's what I saw in the game last night, and hope to see going forward.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #3775 by konza63
Sorry I had to be quick and pithy in my response yesterday, Bay.

I'm not sure how I feel about the question.

NYCJayhawk did a good job of covering half of what I'm thinking. I guess I'd just riff on that by saying, if KU truly comes together as a team...and thereby reaches a greater upside than seemed possible a couple weeks ago...it could negate the need for one true leader (at least noticeable to us couch potatoes) in as much as KU will be playing much better in games and hopefully having far less games where it comes down to a final possession.

The other thing is that Self and the team have several different ways they can go if they are in a final possession situation: Perry down low (or moving toward the hoop from outside), and Selden, Devonte, and Frank on the wings. Do I wish we had a Mario Chalmers type on this team, if we need the surest hand for a 3 at the end? Sure! But who doesn't? ;) And save for the Buddy Hields out there, there aren't many like Super Mario to call upon, for any team.

Final thought: What I liked about the TCU and WVU games was that multiple Jayhawks exhibited fire, passion, and leadership at various times. Even in the more subtle moments you could see it--as when Selden stepped in to calm down Frank one time, and to pull Lucas away from a potential verbal altercation after he got pushed in the back and jawed at. (Of course, Wayne also screwed up and got a T earlier, by verbally retaliating to the WVU player--but he showed leadership in those later moments, because he knew those guys could get T'd up and that could've spelled disaster in a close game.)

Bottom line: if we continue to gel and advance upward as a team, I'm not going to worry so much about the leadership question, because it will likely have sorted itself out inside the locker room and inside the huddle on the court, in real time.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• Bayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3777 by Bayhawk
I concur completely with your analysis. Saturday, win or lose, will be so very telling about, not the destination, but the direction for this team.

Remember my Bonanza post from a while back??
www.rockchalk.com/index.php/forum/basket...he-squid-hatred/2814

We're not a one to saddle up and run--Bonanza!
Anyone of us who starts a little fuss
Knows he can count on me
One for four, four for all
This we guarantee

We got a right to pick a little fight--Bonanza!
If anyone fights any one of us
He's gotta fight with me!
- See more at: www.rockchalk.com/index.php/forum/basket...sthash.yysP4EHh.dpuf
(It helps if you hum the tune to yourself.)

RC A & F

-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #3782 by LasJayhawk
Well, it's better than "we are farmers duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh"

:)

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith