Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Politics & News

Still moderated, but the rules are more relaxed. Enter at your own risk!

Worst Pick Yet?

• DocBlues
  • DocBlues's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 4 months ago #9950 by DocBlues
Between 2009 and 2013, Dr. Steven Chu served as Secretary of Energy. Dr. Chu received a Ph.D. in physics from UC Berkeley, where he later was a faculty member. He was awarded a Nobel Prize in physics in 1997. This week, our POTUS-elect named Rick Perry to the same position. Mr. Perry graduated (barely with a 2.0 GPA) from Texas A&M with a BS degree in -- wait for it -- animal science. He was later Governor of Texas. Don the Con has made a lot of questionable appointees in terms of their qualifications, but, in my judgement, this is the most egregious.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 4 months ago #9951 by murphyslaw
Just about the time you begin recovering--barely--from the shock of the last pick, someone like Rick Perry becomes one of the chosen.

Makes one wish Texas had seceded when he wanted it to. Promises, promises.

More
7 years 4 months ago #9968 by Allen
Do you find it ironic that Rick Perry was chosen to run the same department he wanted to abolish, but couldn't remember the name? I wonder if this is some kind of joke? Scratching my head too.

"When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice." President Trump

More
7 years 4 months ago #9969 by Allen
Murphy did you hear that California is mentioning seceding also? Kind of sad to lose all those electoral votes from California and Texas.

"When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice." President Trump

More
7 years 4 months ago #9970 by murphyslaw
Yes, I heard that. They are concerned that Trump's administration will work very hard to abolish all the progressive changes California has achieved. Seems there is always someone who wants to tear down instead of build up. I've never seen such a devoted effort to fight progression, but maybe I just didn't see it.

As to your last sentence, the Electoral College may be abolished by the time any state does secede, making the point moot.

More
7 years 4 months ago #9974 by Allen
I certainly hope the electoral college will never be abolished! Our founders had excellent foresight to make sure the less populous states would have a voice too. Without the electoral college, states like Texas with their millions, New York and California will decide how elections come out. Not good news at all for Kansas, Montana and other places with low population. Small states made a big difference this time.

Yes, New York and Los Angeles pushed Hillary to win the popular vote with an extra 2 million coming from those two locations.

More
7 years 4 months ago #9977 by murphyslaw
I don't know how much research you've done on the creation of the Electoral College, but there are other views just as compelling which you may want to check out.

Some decisions by our forebears are archaic, some are misinterpreted, and I think some are misunderstood. Thank goodness most of what is good about America is the wise decisions they made and incorporated into the Constitution.

More
7 years 4 months ago #10059 by BadgerHawk
Why should your vote in Kansas count for more than that of someone in Texas or California? What is wrong with one person, one vote when it comes to president? Wouldn't it be nice if the vote of a Republican living in LA made a difference, as it doesn't now? If Kerry had swung the electoral college while losing the popular vote in 2004, would you still be in favor?

Smaller states will still have plenty of extra power in congress, especially the Senate where all states are equal. The electoral college should have been scrapped when the 3/5ths clause was.