Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Politics & News

Still moderated, but the rules are more relaxed. Enter at your own risk!

First time in history?

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 8 months ago #8617 by murphyslaw
More and more Reps are publicly denouncing Trump and vowing not to vote for him. Has this sort of thing happened in political history?
I'm thinking folks will be talking about these weird events for years to come.

Members of the Republic party might be yelling, "What a revoltin' development this is!" (Can anyone name the person who often said this during his radio show and then TV programs?)

Please don't let me be the only one old enough to remember!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 8 months ago #8632 by Allen
Yes! This is the first time in history we have had a presidential election like this. (That I can recall anyway.) The Republicans are denouncing Trump and vowing not to vote for him. If I recall correctly, the establishment Democrats did the same thing to Bernie. Of course the Republicans and Democrats are against Donald Trump. He is NOT a politician. He is NOT a smooth talker nor is he polished like a normal politician. He threatens the establishment on both sides of the aisle. This is why he was so popular in the primaries. Americans appear to be fed up with the smooth talking, spin spewing politicians! It sounds like a recording from 4 and 8 years ago.......Hillary says she is going to raise taxes on the wealthiest people in America. Republicans say they are going to lower taxes. That is the SAME thing they said 4 and 8 years ago. The Democrats had control of the Congress part of the past 8 years and the Republicans did part of that time too. Maddening that they all did so little in the past eight years.

This is a strange election indeed. Both Hillary and the Donald have very high unfavorable numbers. Most people do not like them but one of them will be our next President. I am still in disbelief that of all the intelligent, articulate, kind and caring people we have in America it comes down to one of two liars, one of two crooks and one of two people that a lot of people do not like or respect. And one of them will be in charge of America!

"When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice." President Trump

More
7 years 8 months ago #8633 by Kong
In fact that quote is what drew me back to the board to respond.

I am guessing it has happened multiple times in the past.

Teddy Roosevelt and the Bull Moose Party comes to mind where it may have happened.

I would imagine that back in the day Burr/Hamilton resulted in much the same. Other times early on as well as we had multiple parties going on.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
7 years 8 months ago #8634 by Kong
Almost everyone I talk to says they are unhappy with either of these two candidates. A few seem to be blinded by political party favoritism and actually believe their party's choice will make a good President. When I ask them to tell me why their candidate will be good without using or referencing the other candidate, their comments are normally easily shattered with the plain truth as to their candidates revolting actions/activities.

So I have to ask, if the majority of people find these two disgusting individuals to be trustworthy, capable, and worthy of the job, how much harm could a third party candidate really do?

Even if you believe that they are slightly whack a doodle, they absolutely CANNOT be worse than either of the turds the two major parties are polishing, can they?

Seems to me the choice is not a decision between the lesser of two evils, but a clear choice that they are evil and the lesser evil is outside of those two.

Just some thoughts on it.

Visualize Whirled Peas