Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Other KU News

Non-sports oriented news about KU, Lawrence, and the area

KU news of interest, June 2022

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 9 months ago #29422 by HawkErrant
FYI stuff.

Regents want to make it easier for students to transfer among the state’s colleges; they’re changing class requirements to make it happen I never realized this was such an issue. In1980 I left the Army after 6 years and transferred to KU. My 60 credit hours from Allegany Community College of Cumberland Maryland, earned from 1971-73, were all accepted. Reckon I was one of the lucky ones. Glad to see the Regents doing this very positive thing — and with minimal squawk from the 2 and 4 year colleges, to boot.

KU receives federal grant to remain a foreign language training center for U.S. military This is excellent news. Foreign language skills are in great demand in the national security arena, especially the military, so much so that service members can have special skill identifiers added to their military occupational skill codes and get extra pay for maintaining those skills. The article mentions that there are 4 US universities involved in these programs, but the home page for the DOD Language Training Centers website lists 8 universities involved in such programs: Cal State - Long Beach, Concordia College, George Washington U, Indiana U, San Diego State, KU, University of Montana and University of Utah. These are all in addition to the DOD’s long standing Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA, which on its own could never meet the ever growing national security demand for skilled linguists.

Fifty years after Title IX, Marlene Mawson recalls changes at Kansas Fifty years of history in the making. Here’s to another 50 years moving forward...

KU wants to convert part of Robinson Center to home for ROTC programs; Regents to consider $15M project and others KU putting the additional funds it was given to address deferred facilities maintenance projects to good use. Still requires Regents approval, hope it passes with flying colors.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.