Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Non-KU Sports

Royals re-sign Alex Gordon

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 3 months ago #1468 by konza63
Christmas in January! :lol:

4 years, $72M...

The window is now. Go for the REPEAT! TitleTown, baby!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 3 months ago #1471 by HawkErrant
Beat me to it, konza!

While definitely cause to celebrate, I am still saddened that they could not retain Ben Zobrist. I really thought he was the final piece to the puzzle last season, a big step up from Omar Infante. Ah, well...

Great to see that Alex just may finish his career with the Royals. I know it's only for 4 years, and there are players going to 40 nowadays, but realistically 36 yo will probably take him to the end.

Here's hoping the Royals have at least one more crazy successful year during his contract.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
More
8 years 3 months ago #1473 by konza63
Oh, don't I know it regarding Zobrist. He was the most professional bat in the lineup. And so steady in the field. Just a total ROCK of a player. Unfortunately, he played SO well in the postseason under the bright national lights that he priced himself out of the Royals market.

Infante is a lousy option at 2nd, but keep in mind that we have some young stud prospects in the minors (including Cuthbert and Mondesi, who play 3B and SS, respectively, but could easily take on 2B for us if Infante sags yet again). Hopefully, now that this is done, Dayton Moore can focus on acquiring a solid pitcher (Kazmir, I hope!) to round out our starting staff, and we can likely go with a very solid/serviceable platoon in right (Dyson/Orlando) to complete the picture.

To my mind, this is awesome for both pragmatic (winning) reasons and emotional (intangible) reasons:

(Pragmatic)

* It solidifies what is already one of the best outfields in baseball by bringing back a perennial gold-glover (and Platinum glover two seasons ago, prior to his groin injury last year)

* It brings back a very solid bat

* We don't have to mess around with a lesser free agent who would have to completely adjust to the Royals (and vice-versa)--e.g., Span or Cespedes

* We didn't succumb to a 5th year (which most free agents of his ilk seek), nor did we grossly overpay, meaning we should be in good position--given the immense revenues coming in from attendance, merchandise, and on-field success (despite a horrible TV deal)--to re-sign most if not all of our other core players (Cain, Escobar, Salvy, Hos, Moose) in coming years.

(Intangible)

* It makes Gordon a Royal for life. (He grew up loving the Royals in Omaha, and has been as loyal as loyal can be--a true staple from day one)

* It ensures his steady presence will remain in the clubhouse. Nobody works harder, is more even-keeled, and is more committed to winning and giving back to KC than Gordo.

* It guarantees no major disruptions in chemistry from bringing in an unknown (especially a guy like Cespedes, who I definitely didn't want).

---

With just a couple more tweaks of the screwdriver (particularly that SP acquisition I mentioned), I think the Royals are now set to head into spring training as the team to beat...even though many teams (including in our own division) have improved and will be strong competitors. Until otherwise proven, they're the champs!

Nice job, Royals! :cheer:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 3 months ago #1483 by Sieverling
Ah, nice. I had almost given up hope that he would be back.

Hic manebimus optime

• konza63
More
8 years 3 months ago #1561 by konza63
www.royalsreview.com/2016/1/7/10723440/r...-alex-gordon-signing

I particularly liked this comment from the analyst at Baseball Prospectus:

That’s not to say that, from the Royals’ perspective, this is a deal justifiable only by sentiment and nostalgia. Quite the contrary, in fact: this deal makes the Royals better today, tomorrow, and for a passel of tomorrows to come. Putting aside the production that the team can expect over the next four years—PECOTA thinks it’ll be about 11 wins, all told—the structure of the contract (it’s reportedly heavily backloaded) will allow the team to expend additional resources in 2016 and 2017 to supplement a core that’s already produced two pennants and a title in three years of honest contention. You can call it spending at the right part of the win curve, if you like, or you can call it stepping on the neck of your opponent when he’s already down on the ground. It’s the same thing in the end. The Royals were already good, and this deal makes them better.