Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

It's BOWL NIGHT for the KANSAS JAYHAWKS!

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 months 5 days ago #31894 by HawkErrant
Bowling for the second straight year!
Something we could get used to, I'm sure. B)

Gametime is 8:00 PM CT on ESPN

Unfortunately KU will not have the services of its best lineman on O (Dominick Puni) and D (Austin Booker) for the game.
KUSports.com - Greenstein: Puni, Booker won’t play in bowl game
EXCERPT
Puni, a sixth-year senior from St. Louis, has now exhausted his collegiate eligibility. He joined KU from Division II Central Missouri prior to the 2022 season, solidified himself as an NFL prospect this year after moving from guard to left tackle, and was Pro Football Focus’ second-best offensive tackle in the Big 12 Conference with a season-long grade of 79.8, including 91.0 as a pass blocker. He will play in January’s Senior Bowl ahead of the NFL Draft.

Booker’s future is somewhat less certain as it’s not clear yet whether he will declare for the draft himself; as a redshirt sophomore this year, he has now played three seasons.
... also the NCAA’s recent guidance on two-time transfers has opened the door to players like Booker playing immediately at new schools in 2024 if they so choose.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 months 5 days ago #31896 by LKF_HAWK
Good 1H save penalties, but woof to start the 2H. Pick and another penalty to help UNLV. Hawks need to keep on the gas.

More
4 months 5 days ago #31897 by NotOstertag
Clearly bad blood between the two teams. I don't recall ever seeing so many personal fouls in a game. The final knee by Kansas had an UNLV clown rushing the backfield trying to put a hit on the QB which started another brewhaha.

Between the shoddy camera work and the ref's non-existent mic during the 1st half it was hard to follow what was going on, but there was clearly some chippiness happening.

Very happy our guys pulled it out, but hope Coach L gets our guys attitude adjusted to the "act like you've been there before" mindset going into 2024. Love what he's done with the program which is nothing short of miraculous.

I find it odd watching and rooting for KU in this other sport where they use an oblong ball. I think this game might just catch on someday. Kudos to Coach L and the KU footballers (is that what they're called?) for giving us something ELSE to cheer for prior to and in the first half of basketball season.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, newtonhawk

More
4 months 5 days ago #31898 by LKF_HAWK
RCJHGKU!! It was like Air Coryell out there. What was with all the penalties, HCLL said during halftime interview, “can we get a new crew”.

More
4 months 4 days ago #31899 by Bayhawk
Ran up to Reno to put $$$ down on the bowl game. Had to give 11 points but we covered. Took my winnings to the black jack table.

Suffice it to say, I drove up in a $28,000 Honda crv, and I'll be going back home in a $170,000

Greyhound bus B)
:P :lol: :silly: :cheer:

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 months 4 days ago #31900 by HawkErrant
Funny, Bay!

Mrs HE and I watched Jayhawk Gameday Live on ESPN+ after the game with special interest in the discussion (if any) on all the penalties (which, of course they had to talk about, those ACC refs set a bloody record!) (And it's all on the refs of course, our guys were pristine... >cough<>cough<)

In-game texts with konza63 we were wondering if the ACC ref crew had decided they were going to go by the book -- which would mean that all the little things that normally get ignored, they actually call. I think that was definitely a part of it. But still, as Henry Greenstein wrote in KUSports.com - Greenstein: Quick recap: High-flying Jayhawks top UNLV for first bowl win since 2008 --

"The Kansas football team spent its regular season as one of the most disciplined teams in the Big 12 Conference.

The Jayhawks got flagged between four and five times per game for an average of 43.7 yards..

Under the bright lights of Chase Field at the Guaranteed Rate Bowl, and under the watchful eye of an Atlantic Coast Conference officiating crew, KU was penalized.

It was penalized pre- and post-snap, early and late in plays.

The Jayhawks grabbed facemasks, committed unsportsmanlike conduct, held and did about everything else.

They were assessed 18 penalties for 210 yards.

They still won."

Such a HUGE change in character for a team.

Was it all the guys who got to play significant minutes because others (like LT Puni and DE Booker) opted not to play?

No, OL Reed-Adams committed a lot of the early miscues.
Bryant and Logan got flagged in the secondary.
I only noted one or two called on guys that had stepped up to fill in for gaps.

There sure seemed to be bad blood, NotO, although I don't know why there would be. Could former mOO/current UNLV HC Barry Odom have riled the boys up somehow. And even if so, why would KU guys be upset with UNLV? Was there major dissing going on in social media leading up to the game. The classic "bulletin board" stuff?

Things that make ou go '"Hmmm..."

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk