Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

Rumor Mill

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #31512 by AZhawk87
Up front, this comes from a friend, whose son plays FB at a lower tier KS college, but who is close friends with KU players from high school. So take it for what that's worth.

With that huge caveat, Jalen Daniels apparently is going to the portal, and while he's had some health issues, the last few games are more about retaining this year of eligibility and less about an injury. It's unclear whether it's official, and there's some frustration from coaches about the whole situation. Liepold seemed very upset at TX, saying he found out 20 min before the game that JD6 wasn't playing. And at the next home game JD6 wasn't even on the sideline. He was at the team hotel - in Lawrence. the "excuse" from the coaches was that they didn't want JD to have to make any quick moves avoiding a play on the sidelines. That's coach speak for "he didn't want to be here and we have to make some BS excuse up for everyone."

To be honest, I was shocked he came back this year. At a power school like OH St., Bama, GA, etc. he'd be a monster and a heismann front runner. I'd like him to stay, but if I was in his camp, I'd be supporting a move to maximize his last year (or two) and NFL position.

I hope this is just a bad rumor, but I doubt it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #31518 by Slayer2384
It is my understanding that saving a year of eligibility could still be worked by staying at KU with a medical redshirt as long as he plays in 4 games or less. Therefore, if the rumors are true then something else is festering under the surface. There are several successful QBs in the NFL that did not come from P5 programs. He was in the heismann discussion last year before he got hurt.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #31541 by HawkErrant
AZhawk87, I have no idea what's going on with Jalon.

I can tell you from reading the football board on JayhawkSlant that this has been mentioned as a possibility, but no one there really seems to know what's going on, either.

I hope it's not true that he's looking to leave. He and LL are a national story at KU, so he'll have as many eyes on him as anybody else, especially should he return and make it through the rest of the season with some big wins. As Slayer noted, he was in the Heismann discussion before getting hurt.

All we can do is wait and see... :unsure:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #31542 by HawkErrant
Having written the above, here's some commentary from today from JayhawkSlant that drives home some very salient points about his chances of going somewhere else. Note that JK (last commenter) is Jon Kirby, the Slant's head honcho and main football guru.

Turinturumbar said:
So far buddies’ friends have told us he’s going to USC, he’s going to UCLA, he’s out all year with a back injury, he’s gonna be back for OU, he’s day to day and could return but who knows when, he broke his back doing a cereal ad, he’s getting a sex change in Taiwan, etc.

I’ll say this. No big time program is going to take him with a big NIL package with his history of injuries. Plus if you’ve watched him this year when he’s out there it’s plainly obvious he’s actually injured. He hasn’t moved as well and gets up slow from hits, where as last year he popped right back up.

Pennsyhawk said:
Exactly, it’s hilarious that some keep bringing the transfer topic up. No top P5 team is going to spend a scholarship and major NIL money on a QB who may never play more than just few games the rest of their time in college.

JK said:
OU took Gabriel coming off a bad injury but that was a situation where it was a one-time injury and they knew it would heal. Also he did not get a lot of NIL money up front.

The thing with Daniels is he has had something come up for three straight seasons. That would cause pause for people to go into their checkbook.

Of course, this is still all conjecture, but an objective mind would have to believe that unless there is simply a huge issue between Jalon and LL, Jalon's best future still is at KU.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"