Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

TCU game grades - Ouch!

• bklynhawk
  • bklynhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 months ago #23532 by bklynhawk
No two ways about it, this game was hard to watch in the first half. Props to KU defense for a gritty performance against a bigger and very athletic TCU offense. KU's offense got off to a very slow start and only showed some spark late. One third down conversion (out of 11 chances) makes it tough to control a game. I'm not sure if there is a way for KU to have been competitive in this game, but they also did not seem to adjust during the game. Part of the issue may be related to Herbert's abrupt departure from the team.

QB/Carter Stanley (Grade: C) - Stanley only made a handful of nice passes during the game. There were also a few 12/29 completions and 84 yards.

RB's (Grade: C+) - I believe Khalil's exit had a big impact on the running game and plans. 75 yards and 1 touchdown. Only highlight was Gardner's 45-yard run for a TD. That juke move on the defender was a thing of beauty.

WR's/TE's (Grade: C) - Parchment was shut down and ended up with 10 yards. Pooka Williams was the leading receiver (by yards) with 33 yards and 1 TD.

Offensive Line (Grade: C-) - Another week with a couple of sacks and several QB hurries. They looked outmatched by TCU's defense and only occasionally opened running lanes.

Defense (Grade B-) - The question is how can you give a B when they let TCU score 51 points. My take was they were out on the field a long time, TCU went 2-3 deep on all their skills positions and kept putting fresh players out. Totally outsized: TCU O-Line is between 6-2 and 6-8, and weighs between 284 and 330 lbs. KU's D-Line is between 6-2 and 6-4 and 245 and 325 lbs. Also, a sack and a QB hurry.

Special Teams/Kicking (Grade C+) - The TCU punt return for a TD and the missed field goal (couldn't understand Jones' aim with that) led to this grade.

Coaches (Grade: C) - Kind of hard to tell how much of an impact Herbert’s departure had, but they didn't seem to be able to adjust.

On to Oklahoma next week!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.