Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

Indiana State game grades and a few thoughts...

• bklynhawk
  • bklynhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #23445 by bklynhawk
The old saying "It's better to be lucky than good." might be applicable here. An favorable call, a couple of missed field goals, etc. Coach Miles had a nice debut win. However, I don't want to take away from the good playing and there were some real highlights from individual players.I'll give some grades and share a few highlights here.

QB/Carter Stanley (Grade: B ) - Nice job. Some good plays with decent stats (241 yds./2 TD) and no interceptions. A couple of fumbles lost for TD's.
RB's (Grade: B ) - Khali Herbert and Dom Williams combined had a solid game (103 yds). A couple of fumbles (1 lost) and no touchdowns.
WR's/TE's (Grade: A) - Andrew Parchment and Daylon Charlot had a great combined effort. Coach Miles called him the game MVP. TE James Sosinski even contributed a TD.
Offensive Line (Grade: B-) - The O-Line seemed to hold up for the first three quarters, but the wheels came off a bit in the fourth.
Defense (Grade A-) - Held Indiana State to 3 points for three quarters. Hasan Defense's interception for a TD was thrilling. Jeremiah McCullough's interception was a real game saver. Good job.
Coaches (Grade: B+) - Nice debut win with just a few shaky moments. No glaring questions about calls, timeouts, etc.
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by bklynhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kong, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #23446 by Kong
Overall, would you say we looked better, worse, or the same as last year?

I know that is hard and very subjective, but the overall play did it look crisper? I felt last year we were slow to develop a play.

On defense, did we look unified? At times last year I felt the secondary was doing something completely different than the line and linebackers. Lots of gaps and holes.

Just looking for your general impressions.

Visualize Whirled Peas
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Kong.

• bklynhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #23447 by bklynhawk
Kong, complete disclosure, I was up in the mountains and forgot to record the game. So, I have watched highlights and read through play-by-play online.

This may not answer your question, but nothing stood out as "facepalm" worthy moments on play calls or dropped passes or weird use of time outs.

It's early, but Parchment looks like he could be great and the team may be able to replace Sims, who was very good/great. Everyone else on offense looked good and had some nice highlights. So nothing disappointing on that side of the ball...except for the two fumbles.

I'll go back to the fact that the defense only gave up one offensive touchdown, only 219 yards passing, and had a couple of sacks and some key interceptions. It seemed like they were holding it together for nearly the whole game. So, I say yes on the unity.

The game could have gone either way, but it was encouraging. Let's see this Saturday, and with BC we'll have a real test to see how the team stands.
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by bklynhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kong, HawkErrant

• bklynhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 7 months ago #23449 by bklynhawk
Kong, here's a great breakdown of each offensive play for the Indiana State game with which combination of players were in the play formation.

Bottom line, plays with 2-3 WR's seemed to work best. Also, plays 7,8, and 9 seemed to reveal some issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kong

• bklynhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 7 months ago #23450 by bklynhawk
Last sentence should have said "drives" instead of "plays"...

More
4 years 7 months ago #23451 by Kong
That is interesting. A nice mix of run and pass.

Looks like our jumbo/short yardage package was ineffective (Drive 7).

Interesting stuff.

Thank you very much

Visualize Whirled Peas