Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

Coach Miles' Coaching Staff Analysis

• bklynhawk
  • bklynhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago #20248 by bklynhawk
Out of curiosity, I wanted to see what the individual and cumulative record of Coach Miles' staff is, and I wanted to understand the Power 5 and bowl record, individually and cumulative.

Methodology:

• Did not include D-2, D-3, JUCO or high school records
  • Did not include graduate assistant records. I felt like it's too hard to know what the responsibility level is at that level. I also debated about analyst roles, but included those records.
  • I also looked at the states where each college/university each coach worked to get some idea of where we have strengths/weaknesses in recruiting. There are a lot of other geographic factors that go into recruiting, but this provides a few interesting data points.
  • The records were not filtered with non-D1 wins/losses. All records were based on the coaches' schools level, not opponents.
  • I thought it might be good to see how much Coach Bowen's record skewed the results. It also seemed to make sense to filter out Coach Hull's record and just see what the "new guys" were bringing to KU. Therefore, you'll see records with and without Coaches Bowen and Hull.
  • Mike Ekeler was only included in the combined totals data.

• Highlights:
    • This staff has deep experience with a total of 1140 D1 games coached. 647 games coached at Power 5 schools and a total of 29 bowl games.
    • Offensive Coaches - D1: 259 W/264 L. Power 5: 99 W/101 L. Without Hull, 255 W/245 L. Power 5 95 W/82 L.
    • Defensive Coaches - D1: 191 W/285 L. Power 5: 131 W/188 L. Without Bowen, 118 W/141 L. Power 5 65 W/61 L.
    • All Coaches - D1: 524 W/616 L. Power 5: 299 W/348 L. Without Bowen+Hull, 447 W/539 L. Power 5 229 W/217 L.
    • States where the coaching staff has been D1/Power 5 Coaches: AL, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MS, NC, NE, OK, SD, TN, TX.
    • Ranking of states (based on the number of years in that state) where the coaching staff has been D1/Power 5 Coaches: 1.) KS (18 years); 2.) IN (12); 3.tie)SD/TX (9); 4.) MI (6); 5.) FL/KY (5); 6.)AL/MS (4); 7.)CA/CO/NE (3); 8.)AZ/GA/IL/LA/NC (2); 9.)OK/TN (1).

Conclusions/Comments

While the overall winning percentage for offense 49.5%, defense 40.2%, and total is 46%, there are some bright spots such as the bowl record 17/12 and without coaches Bowen and Hull a Power 5 record of 229 and 217. These coaches have a wide variety of experience and have lead either the defense or offense at schools in the background. Also, they have been on Power 5 teams that have won conferences or have gone to the National Championship (Lindsey at Auburn).

On the geography data, the staff has a bit of an odd skew in basketball states: IN/KS. But, also has some ties to football hot beds like Texas, Florida, and Alabama.

With all that, I'd say this staff should get us to respectability and bowl games. I'd love to hear feedback and will provide the link to my data here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xmJO2dMP...yGX3y0oh4/edit#gid=0

Sources:
    www.sports-reference.com/cfb/
    gojacks.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=27
    The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
    5 years 4 months ago #20249 by Kong
    Thank you. I was trying to figure out how to evaluate this group.

First some generic comments that have nothing to do with records. I have said this before, but I like that all of these guys are connected in one way or another. This is not a random group of people tossed in to the mix. They all have worked together in some capacity and I think this will help present a unified coaching staff. At times in the past I got the feeling that one part of the coaching staff wasn't on the same page as the other parts. I don't think we will see that with this group.

Second, related to the information you presented. I am actually a bit surprised that the numbers are so low. I was not expecting under 50%. I would have imagined that it would have been closer to 60%. It is always good to have empirical evidence to keep things grounded.

I like the D1 experience. I like the areas covered by the staff with respect to recruiting as they are all fertile ground. I like the bowl experience.

The first recruiting class was about as good as it was going to get, given the amount of time they had. I am looking forward to seeing next years recruiting class as I fell that will be the precursor to our future recruiting. I want to see how the offense evolves under this staff. I thought we were heading in the right direction with the reliance on Pooka, but we all know that asset is in jeopardy with issues off of the field.

I am looking for a more solid Defense. I understand why we took the bend / don't break approach, but I would like to see a more stiff defense that attempts to force the offense into less comfortable play.

Visualize Whirled Peas
    The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

• bklynhawk
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    More
    5 years 3 months ago #20258 by bklynhawk
    Kong, you're welcome. This was fun to put together and interesting.

I agree with you on the familiarity. That should help make the ramping up phase less steep.

Yes, the sub 50% was a bit surprising. I knew Bowen would skew the numbers because he's been at KU, which has been well below .500, for a long time. That did happen.

My guess, without digging into deep, would be if you take this many coaches who have coached this long you'll see a reversion to the mean of .500 in most cases. Also, when I took out Bowen and Hull, both offense and defense did have winning records at Power 5 schools which is encouraging.

Another possibility would be that these coaches have come into losing programs, turned them around, and were hired away once they have success. That would lead to a below or close to a .500 record.

Finally, the reality is coaching staffs aren't given a lot of time to turn around a program or patience when a program starts to falter.

The offense under Lindsey seems to be heading to a more wide open, scrambling QB, possibly air raid type system. Not sure what will happen with Pooka, it would be a big help to the offense if he does come back.

I really like the defense recruits KU just signed. That bodes well. One other small thing I noticed. Ekeler has some great defense experience and I think might chip in on that aspect of the team. Georgia's defense was a powerhouse while he was there as linebacker/special teams coach.

• bklynhawk
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    More
    5 years 3 months ago #20263 by bklynhawk
    Auburn (OC Chip Lindsey's former team) leads Purdue 56-7, at the half!

• bklynhawk
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    More
    5 years 2 months ago #20844 by bklynhawk
    Methodology
    Please see my original post for complete methodology. Note, whenever I mention coaching staff, that does not include Coach Miles.

Updates
    With Chip Lindsey (OC) leaving, the additions on offense (Les Loenning, Joshua Eargle, and Brent Deamon) and on defense (Jay Niemann, Christopher Woods) to the KU coaching staff required an update to my original coaching staff analysis. Note, I didn’t add Chidera Uzo-Diribe (Defense Quality Control) because he’s only held Graduate Assistant (Colorado) or intern (SF 49ers) positions prior to joining Kansas.

Highlights
    • This staff has DEEP experience with a total of 1624 D1 games coached. 972 games coached at Power 5 schools and a total of 41 bowl games.
    • Offensive Coaches - D1: 429 W/414 L. Power 5: 236 W/213 L. Without Hull, 425 W/395 L. Power 5 232 W/194 L.
    • Defensive Coaches- D1: 287 W/353 L. Power 5: 172 W/223 L. Without Bowen, 214 W/209 L. Power 5 106 W/96 L.
    • All Coaches - D1: 790 W/834 L. Power 5: 477 W/495 L. Without Bowen+Hull, 713 W/757 L. Power 5 407 W/364 L.
    • Ranking of states (based on the number of years in that state) where the coaching staff has been D1/Power 5 Coaches: 1.) TX (24 years); 2.) KS (18); 3.tie)IN/MS (12); 4.) SD (9); 5.) MI (6); 6.)AL/FL/KY (5); 7.)NC/TN (4); 8.)CA/CO/NE (3); 9.)GA/IL/LA (2); 10.)AZ/OK (1) (See original post for basic alphabetical list of states.)
    • Position Coach Depth: Based on number of seasons, KU’s coaching staff has the most experience at Wide Receivers (21) and Linebackers (10) position coaching.

Conclusions/Comments
    Adding Coach Koenning, Eargle, Deamon, Niemann, and Woods really lifts several of the stats from the original post, they have 575 D-1 games under their belts and are net positive in the win column for D-1 and Power 5. Please note, Koenning had a couple of coaching stints where he had no record (South Alabama and UAB for 1 season) because the schools were re-introducing or starting football programs.
    The overall winning percentage for offense is now 50.6% for D-1 and 51.2% for Power 5. Defense is now Total coaching staff record is 47.3% for D-1 and 47.9% for Power 5. Taking out Bowen and Hull, the winning percentages go to 46.9% for D-1 and 51.8% for Power 5. The overall bowl record is now 24-17(not bad…).
    One interesting thing to note for down the road is the bench depth of the coaching staff now, most of the coaches and analysts hired have either been head coaches somewhere (usually at smaller, non-D1 schools) or have held the highest coordinator position for either offense or defense. I think that bodes well for turnover and having someone to quickly fill in (see Lindsey).

On the state geography data, this latest group changed the skew to TEXAS! That’s good. Koenning has also spent a lot of time in Mississippi. Dearmon and Eargle have time spent in Tennessee and other football states like Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Niemann and Woods have been mainly midwest (Illinois,…) and northeast (Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York). The staff still has a little bit of a skew in basketball states: IN/KS. On the other hand, they also have ties to football hot beds like Florida, Alabama, and Louisiana (not even including Coach Miles!).

I really like the additions since the last post. Dearmon appears to be an offensive wunderkind that I’d love to see add some real innovative thinking to the offense. Again, please check out my data here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xmJO2dMP...yGX3y0oh4/edit#gid=0

Sources:
    www.sports-reference.com/cfb/
    gojacks.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=27
    www.wikipedia.org/

• bklynhawk
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    More
    5 years 2 months ago #20867 by bklynhawk
    One small add to my methodology, I did not include NAIA team level records either.

• bklynhawk
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    More
    5 years 2 months ago #21255 by bklynhawk
    Updated stats (and fixed a few things) since Coach Niemann's departure to Wyoming:

• Defensive Coaches- D1: 237 W/311 L. Power 5: 165 W/194 L. Without Bowen, 164 W/167 L. Power 5 99 W/67 L.
    • All Coaches - D1: 740 W/792 L. Power 5: 470 W/466 L. Without Bowen+Hull, 663 W/715 L. Power 5 400 W/335 L.
    • Ranking of states (based on the number of years in that state) where the coaching staff has been D1/Power 5 Coaches: 1.) TX (25 years); 2.) KS (18); 3.tie)IN/MS (12); 4.) SD (9); 5.) MI (6); 6.)AL/FL/KY (5); 7.)NC/OK/TN (4); 8.)CA/CO/NE (3); 9.)GA/IL/LA (2); 10.)AZ/MA/NY (1) (See original post for basic alphabetical list of states.)