Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

Not a good week

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 6 months ago #19199 by Wheatstate Gal
This is the football board so I won’t go into details, but.......it’s been a rough couple of weeks. I had a pep in my step yesterday, I had some faith for the football game.

Hate to sound like Chicken Little already....but jeepers, are we ever gonna get out of this football hole?

Yesterday I was chatting w a friend and he reminded me of how Papa Bill Snyder turned around the KSU Program. They used to STINK. BAD!!!! Anybody but me recall Vince Gibson and “we gonna win”? Showing my age.

Bummer......not sure there are any cupcakier cupcakes we can schedule. Cupcakes are wiping our bowl clean. :(

Maybe I’ll cheer myself up and watch another funeral— R.I.P. Aretha and Senator McCain. (I know....not funny).

WSG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 6 months ago #19200 by Wheatstate Gal
The funeral comment was a poor attempt at humor, so before anyone gets a burr under their saddle....no disrespect was/is intended toward either “the Queen of Soul” or Senator McCain.

More
5 years 6 months ago #19201 by Bayhawk
Although I didn't agree with his politics, but my flag is half staff. Although I didn't listen to her as much as I should have, my Pandora has been on Aretha all week. Now I guess I'll start "making arrangements" for KU football this season. Whadda think, a quiet burial or cremation? :dry:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #19202 by HawkErrant
Definitely cremation.

David Beaty is a wonderful human being and all-around nice guy and I like him, but he simply is a horrible head coach.

Yesterday showed nothing new.

New AD Jeff Long — if he was already convinced when he took the job that he would have to replace Beaty after the season (and anyone with any understanding of the situation would believe that a reasonable scenario), Beaty gave him the dream start to an 0 fer season that would allow Long to can DB now, set up an interim HC with instructions to redshirt as many players as possible for the future and begin looking for the next HC for KUFB so that the hiring can be announced ASAP.

Beaty lit the match yesterday.

The only question now is when will Long use it to light the funeral pyre.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 6 months ago #19203 by Wheatstate Gal
Your plan makes good sense, HE. If we are destined to go 0 fer “n”.......let’s start planning.

I’ve always offered to lend my “old girl can’t jump, but I can take up space AND I have 5 fouls to give (even a flagrant or two....if I can do a “Gracie-boy Allen” trip when someone goes by....lord knows I’d never be able to catch someone!) and 4 years of eligibility AND I can walk on, so I’m free” services to HCBS.

Perhaps I should ponder my utility to HCDB. He may “want” me more than Coach Self. ;-)

Sister sasnaK.....we need to be getting our McCarthy Hall housemother apps in soon!!!!

Rock Chalk! WSG.

More
5 years 6 months ago #19208 by murphyslaw
You're fine, Wheatie. I like your sense of humor! Sometimes it's a welcome relief to show a bit of levity.

More
5 years 6 months ago #19214 by NotOstertag
No offense taken Wheaty. The McCain funeral world tour did get a little tiresome. Reminded me of the old SNL bit, "This just in, Generailssimo Francisco Franco is STILL dead."

Regarding football, I too like Beaty, but he's clearly not up to the job. My concern has always been how a team possibly digs itself out of a hole as deep as we're in. While we're enjoying record-breaking happenings in football (13 consecutive conference championships, etc.) we're getting into similar record areas in terms of worst football programs ever.

I'd love to know what the plan is (if there is one). In basketball it's relatively easy: we win a LOT, we have a HOF coach, we have enormous excitement around the program, every game is played on national TV. If you're a top recruit, we're definitely high on your consideration list.

But what's the "bait" to get a kid to come play football. We lose...a LOT. To not very good teams in the pre-season and then we get REALLY abused in the regular season. We have a lame-duck coach, and lukewarm fan support. But hey, if you come play here, you'll get to get your butt kicked on national TV once or twice a year when we're playing a high profile team.

Somehow, even if we hired Vince Lombardi as our coach, it seems like it's a huge uphill battle. Great...we have a great coach, but we've got a roster full of guys who haven't gotten it together yet, and it'll be at least 2 years before we have a "new team" in place player-wise. In the meantime, the losses and lack of fan support will continue.

So do you fire Beaty now, and write off the season completely, installing an interim coach, or do you let him stay on, while you start putting out feelers and quietly interviewing for a replacement? No easy answers here.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
5 years 6 months ago #19217 by AZhawk87
I honestly think, at this point, we are so bad, and the program is so embarrassing, that drastic measures are needed if we are to climb back to respectability in under 7 years.

The solution - An immediate change of focus and $$$$$$$.

We have zero credibility to hire any new coach and with a straight face suggest to any recruit that we can be trusted to put them in a good situation. Long should fire the HC, and announce an immediate plan to bring KU back to competitiveness (it's too much to actually ask to be a ranked team - just competitive would be a realistic improvement).

KU needs to commit to build a world class stadium, and designs/renderings need to be prepared ASAP. The renderings I saw from Zenger's project looked like a goofy red/white/blue state fair, not a football facility that would impress recruits. Get real.

Over pay drastically for a name coach, and let him sell the future. My biggest concern is whether any good coach would actually consider KU at this point, regardless of money (though everyone has their price).

I can't fathom how we got this bad. We were awful when I was there, but still not the embarrassment that we are now. It was actually fun to go to a game, as opposed to now where we attract less than 10,000 fans. How pathetic.

Let's get the train moving, unload the bad cargo, and get this program back on track.

More
5 years 6 months ago #19219 by AZhawk87
This also is just getting awkward. Beatty knows he's gone, his wife and kids know, the players know, the fans know, and the AD knows. It's getting inhumane to keep this going.

Unfortunately, I've fired a few people in my life, but what I've found is that it's often a relief to both the employer and employee when it happens. It's miserable showing up at work knowing it's not working, and just waiting for the shoe to drop.

Long, do the right thing and put everyone out of their misery, including Beatty. It's the respectful thing to do.

More
5 years 6 months ago #19220 by NotOstertag
Ok, so you let him go, he's got a decent contract and will be ok financially, and his life will go on.

But what's the next step. You need an interim coach. Who gets served that poop sandwich?

Then onto the "next" coach. I agree, you have to offer the world on a platter and enough cash to choke an elephant. But who takes that deal, and how can we be convinced that a guy who takes the job for the money will be committed to turning things around, and not just cashing big checks. Think about it, there's literally NO downside to that deal. Get paid a zillion bucks and go 0-12 for a couple years...you didn't do any worse than anybody else and in the meantime your only concern is how to transfer your solid gold yacht from Lake Perry to the Bahamas.

It would be nice if we could go back to a former player or coach who's had success and have them commit to rebuilding things, but who's the football program's "Danny Manning"? I don't think there is one. The last successful coach we had was Mangino and he's a total headcase (I was done with him when he got tossed out of a LHS game for arguing with the refs while watching his son play).

I agree that spending a ton on facilities and making a huge financial investment to the program is probably necessary, but this isn't the NFL and it's a lot harder to just "buy" a team like you can in the pros when you're starting from scratch.

No easy answer and I agree that 7 years might be needed to get to a team that can play .500 ball.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 6 months ago #19221 by HawkErrant
But let's face it, we are at the bottom of a very deep hole that we have continued to dig over the past 3 years despite all the digging done in the 7 before that..

So what are the options?

1. Do nothing and continue to dig that hole until we come up in the middle of the Indian Ocean about halfway between Madagascar and Perth, Australia. Ummmm, no.

2. Drop football. Do not see that happening. Too much at stake for the future of KU in NCAA sports (conference affiliation, for starters... the current alignment is about as stable as an Oklahoma fracking field).

3. Follow your script. As fraught with peril as it clearly is, it still remains -- at least at this time -- the only viable option to pursue.

We've got an AD who has made good football hires in the past, give him a chance to show he's still got "it".

And frankly, I would not go after a retread.
I would go the KState route "gasp" and try to find the next Bill Snyder.
Old guys already have had their success, so not the same urgency for them.
Young guys want to make a name for themselves in their profession, and turning KU around would sure do that.
And with the financial pitch, it really is a golden, no lose opportunity for whoever gets the job.
Win or lose, they are set for life unless they are idiots with their money.
And since we are so bad, if they are successful, they just might go down as the architect of the greatest turnaround in NCAA D1 history.

So go after the best assistants out there, even those for whom people would say "He won't want that dumpster fire", and show them KU means business when it comes to football.

Whoever Long gets, hopefully he will be the right guy.
If not, Option 2 will loom larger and larger.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 6 months ago #19223 by AZhawk87
Option 1 and 2 have serious collateral consequences. If conferences continue to consolidate, and football continues to be the sport that drives the most revenue, we are at grave risk of ending up in some podunk second tier conference. As great as KU hoops is, even Self would struggle to recruit if we're in the MAC, Mountain West, or worse, notwithstanding the success of Gonzaga (wait til Mark Few retires, and see where Gonzaga goes).

Football creates the revenue, and frankly keeps the alums tied to the school, and returning in person for game weekends. We are so bad alums are now boycotting. That is really bad.

Long was brought in to fix football. Get to it and give us all a little hope for the future.