Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Entertainment / Personal

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

One of the greatest movie speeches ever (IMO)

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 1 year 10 months ago #28968 by HawkErrant
It's been too long since I posted anything here, and I thought of this today as I pondered how the Fates seem to be "plowing the road" ahead for KANSAS. So I had to share it with you here,,,

From the 1996 film INDEPENDENCE DAY...

President Thomas Whitmore (played by Bill Pullman)

Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!" We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

I know it's just a film, but for me it rivals Lincoln's Gettysburg Address -- a terse, direct and poignant summation of the importance of what is happening to the future of us all.

Oh yeah, the signpost that got me to it - right after Vietnam vet fighter pilot and current alcoholic California cropduster Russell Casse (pronounced Case and played by Randy Quaid in one of his best roles ever) declares he is there and ready...

President Thomas Whitmore:

Okay, boys, let's give Mr. Casse some cover.
Gentlemen!
Let's plow the road!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.