Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Why is Frank devolving?

More
8 years 2 months ago #3306 by Bayhawk
Your concern is warranted to be sure, I just thought I would toss the "the rest of the team was worse" log on the pyre,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3307 by HawkErrant
Frank has to be one of the few PGs I've seen that must feel akin to an NFL running back after every game.

If only Self felt he could trust another guard enough to keep Frank's minutes at 30 or less. We fondly look back at the team from this past summer, but tend to overlook that the Korea version had SMU's SR PG Nic Moore to help with the workload.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: speeling (intentional error here, but not there)

More
8 years 2 months ago #3309 by Bayhawk
So true! I cringe every time he crashes the boards :sick: and then I go ballistic when he doesn't get a call. :woohoo:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #3366 by Hawknmo
Anyone besides me want to get on the FREE VICK!! wagon? I thought he played well enough in Korea to warrant at least 5-7 min a game to spell either Frank or Devonte. Again, very strange goings on with HCBS. It is quite possible there is an us vs. them (rest of the team vs. the "core 4") deal going on. PT is being squeezed very tightly by HCBS. Possibly too tightly?

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #3376 by Senex68
I was thinking about Green's rather stupid move at the end of the KState game, and it seems to me that there has to be some very substantial unhappiness within this group of players. Mickelson is getting ..........well, let's say he's not being treated farily, IMHO, but he's not a great talent, and would be looking at a marginal professional career at best. On the other hand, he deserves to have a chance to actually play a bit, which clearly is not going to happen. But Green, for all of his issues, is a true talent, and when motivated and playing with focus, is a real pro prospect. On virtually every other team in the U.S., Green would be playing 20 plus minutes a game, and probably averaging in double figures. And he would be on the NBA 'hot list' as well. Here, he's a marginal player, primarily in the game to hit a 3 in special situations, which doesn't give him any real opportunity to get into the flow of the game, nor to demonstrate any of his skills. I have to say that if I was in his shoes, I'd be going crazy, and I would have transferred already. Yes, he's immature, but the coach's job is to manage his guys, and for some reason, Self is apparently not running this team in a way that makes sense to me. Perhaps these guys are much more difficult than it appears, but somehow I don't think so. We have erratic play from Selden, diminishing skills from Mason, no play from Mickelson, nothing from Diallo, virtually nothing from Bragg, erratic play from Ellis (although he IS the most steady of our guys), and not much playing time for Svi or Green. And we get the best of Lucas, which is sadly not enough given the play of the rest of the guys. I love Traylor, but if we are talking about regression, he's even a better example than Mason. He was a much better player 2 years ago, and I think it's because he's playing as a 'big' instead of a 3 or small 4. Grades are being given out to the players, so I won't bother, but I am giving Self a 'D' because at this point, the team is not a team, but a loose aggregations of unevenly talented players who are not even close to playing as a unit. I can't grade the assistants, but I suspect that they deserve the same grade as Self.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 2 months ago #3388 by Hawknmo
There are times when even on a fan message board I have learned to bite my tongue. Then there are times people say exactly what I am thinking, they just know how to express it better than me. Frequently, Senex is that poster. You have done it again!!

I do think Greene is gone after this year. If he plans on playing after college it may be a necessity. I do think HCBS has disciplined appropriately after mistakes but it is the lack of PT I believe that leads Brannen to believe he has to make his mark everytime he enters the game. Sure, not very team friendly but I also believe Brannen thinks he has a future playing after college and that opportunity is being squelched by his coach. While I am not always happy with his actions I do understand what might be causing them.

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!