Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Game, set, match . . . season. nfm

More
8 years 2 months ago #2436 by minerscoach
Konza, I could not agree more. Bragg, Diallo, and Svi are next level talents that are rotting on our bench. The season is a marathon and not a sprint. With the opportunity to play through mistakes, they would be making great strides. Self refuses to play to a teams ceiling. We are a good team right now, but with the players in the rotation we have been at our ceiling since early in the year and are now hitting a wall. It is like Self is trying to squeeze more juice out of an orange that has no more to offer. Lucas, Traylor, and Graham are good players, but they do not have the talent to play at the level of which the 3 I mentioned earlier will be at eventually. If we started the season playing for March I still believe we would win our league most of the time and maybe have a few more national titles in the trophy case as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #2504 by Hawknmo
Again happy to know I am somewhat in sync with some great basketball minds. We don't play a real 5. We have one or two but they can't get off the bench. I cant think of any other word than sabotage to describe what HCBS is doing to Hunter. Bragg and Diallo are both fine players who need to prive themselves. This coach encouraged a good player to transfer and is now rewarding him with one of the best seats in every arena KU plays in. I watched the games in Korea. If there was one thing I took away from them it was that we had a solid starter at the 5 who could give Bragg and Diallo time to develop. Instead we got a few starts, limited production and the quickest hook after two fouls I can remember. Just sad.

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #2533 by Illhawk
At this point we still play like an NCAA tournament team at home, maybe even like a borderline top 25 team. But away from the Allen it has been gruesome.

Considering how competitive a kid has to be to get a D-I ride anywhere in a revenue sport, I hold out some hope that pride and anger and getting handled will provide the focus it would take to correct Jayhawk's the numerous mental errors.

Until that happens I'm afraid I will walk around on the day of basketball road games in much the same dis-spirited mood I experience on football gamedays.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #2706 by konza63
I just looked at our schedule.

Coach Self and the staff are now down to 11 games (and just a little over a month) to figure out this mess and make any changes that could prepare us to have a snowball's chance of success in the postseason.

After the UK game (which I'm now most definitely dreading), that's just 10 conference games before the regular season is over.

We are literally running out of time.

Will stubbornness, inflexibility, acute caution, and intransigence in the face of defeat and diminishing returns prevail? Or will flexibility, adaptation, innovation, and a willingness to take some risks (to go for broke) win the day?

IMO, the answer to that question will not only determine our fate for this season, but could also produce a slew of other ripple effects from recruiting to retention and transfers to future season performance...among other things.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2709 by LasJayhawk
I'm the optimist of the group. But here's what I think we need to do, we need to start Mickelson and Self needs to tell the kids go out and play I'll support whatever you do.
They will either kick the stuffing out of Kentucky, or get hammered. Either way we get a win or Self can say you need to listen to me and maybe they will.

But we have to change something and we have to change it now.

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by LasJayhawk.