Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Nearly speechless

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #1999 by Wheatstate Gal
I'm lost......

I don't have enough knowledge to criticize HCBS's coaching decisions.
I don't know a pick and roll from a moving screen; so I cannot offer what if we'd.......
I know we cannot win all the time.
I'm trying to get my head around how/why the team may have not yet "recovered" from the OU game.
I don't know if they've lost their chemistry.
I don't know if its a drudge and not fun? Welcome to the real world, young men!
It's gonna be a long season if we cannot figure out a way to win on the road.
I'm not sure we're even playing to the level of the competition.....we may be playing below....

Whatever.......the sun will come up tomorrow. You can bet your bottom dollar......

Feel like a deflated balloon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #2019 by Bayhawk
A deflated balloon without the fun of going plthththththththththththththth as it flies all around the room. :unsure:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #2026 by NotOstertag
I don't know when I've felt this bleak about our team in a long time. They're not completely out of it, but OSU is a team we should be able to beat, even if it were a close game. Instead, we completely collapsed. Not a good sign.

We responded to the WVU drubbing with a sleepwalking win against TCU, so while we got the W, it wasn't indicative of the problem being fixed, and OSU exposed the fact that we're in serious trouble.

As for why, I have a couple of theories. First, while I think playing in Korea helped get us ready earlier in the season, I wonder if it's causing us to burnout earlier in the season. Does that mean we'll get a 2nd wind while other teams are flagging in February or March? Hope so.

Second, I think that the team lacks (or has lost) its identity. We don't have a real leader: the only guy who shows much passion is Frank or maybe Jamari. Selden and Ellis, who would naturally be in leadership roles, don't seem to rally the team around them at all. That, combined with the fact that we seem to have forgotten what made us REALLY good early in the season. Early on, we were excellent at moving the ball around, snapping off 4 or 5 passes in the halfcourt offense combined with a lot of movement, which resulted in defenses getting off balance and easy open opportunities both inside and out. Last night there was none of that, and we'd make 1 pass and then drive or shoot with guys playing more as individuals. That, combined with our complete inability to play defense (making me question if these guys even bother to read the scouting reports), and it ended up very ugly.

Not a good day. Things can still be fixed, but there's no time to do it. With 2 losses, we can likely only afford 2 more or at the most 3 if we want another title. With away games scheduled at OU, Baylor and ISU yet to play, we have a razor-thin margin to play with.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 2 months ago #2031 by Goodyearhawk
Not O -- "We don't have a real leader." You have been reading my mind!

I think this is the essence of the problem best shown in the OSU game. Arguably, Ellis should be the team leader; he is a senior and he is the center of the offense. However, Ellis, in my opinion, does not have the personality of a team leader - rarely smiles, never snarls -- is not in him to be a team leader. Mason, Selden -- maybe they could be, but perhaps they feel the need to defer to Ellis. A true team leader emerges from within the team, usually by fact of skill and personality.

Sure, Self can try to put fire in the players, he can get real red in the face when he is stoked. But the Head Coach is the father figure, the general of the battle plan. He can't provide on-floor team leadership from the bench. I wonder if potential leadership qualities are part of the recruiting process.

I don't recall any KU team member in recent memory admonishing team mates for poor or uninspired play; I have seen it on other teams -- usually by the team leader.

Can a team be a team without a team leader? Apparently not this team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 2 months ago #2034 by NotOstertag
Maybe one will emerge, but I couldn't agree more. Self is the father figure and we need that "big brother" figure in the form of a player that backs him up among his peers.

My prediction is that we'll hear about a "closed-door players only meeting" as we tend to have after we've underperformed. Sad thing is that those things are only effective if somebody steps up and takes the mantle of leadership.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 2 months ago #2063 by Hawknmo
With respect and agreement to all who have pointed out the lack of a leader.....who will actually CALL this mystery players only meeting? Would it be helpful? Sure. But if there is no leader ON the court do we really think there will be one off?

Wow. What I thought was a tricky game has now become even tougher on Saturday?

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2066 by konza63
First of all, as we know, KU is in a complete funk, devoid of an identity, and at risk of free-falling.

But what scares me is when you couple that with UT's style of play. Shaka Smart is the king of press (or "havoc" as they called it at VCU). The whole mission is to be the aggressor on D, to speed you up, trip you up, make you uncomfortable, create mistakes, and knock you out of your game plan. Against some teams, they don't succeed. But given how impotent we looked against West Virginia's press, and how badly they sped us up and forced us into mind-numbing mistakes, Texas is obviously a very dangerous foe for this particular KU team.

Add to that that the Longhorns have better scoring talent than WVU, and that they have the guy (Isaiah Taylor) who wrote the book in his freshman year on how to slice and dice our guards with brutally effective dribble-drive penetration, and I'm seriously worried. Taylor single-handedly destroyed us in that game in Austin two years ago, and it was the same exact recipe that WVU and OSU used against us just recently: systematically exploit the Matador Defense of KU's frontline guards by beating them off the ball, penetrating freely, drawing the help D, and either making a shot (and often getting fouled) or dishing to the open man for the easy bunny.

Bottom line: every single Jayhawk player needs to grow a pair of steel you-know-whats and draw a line in the sand. Declare that this crap ball of late will not stand, and that Shaka Smart and his merry band of Horns are NOT walking out of Allen Fieldhouse with a win. Then go out, play smart, don't get sped up, BE THE AGGRESSORS, and execute. On top of that, Self and the staff need to come up with a great game plan, AND be willing to make adjustments (like going to a zone D if our guards can't guard in man). They will have had five full days to prepare for that, so there are no excuses about not having time to practice zone defense, etc. UT had to play two nights later and therefore has two fewer days to prepare. And the last time Self faced Shaka Smart, he took Self to the woodshed in a huge tourney upset over a stacked KU team. So if Self can't get motivated for this one, and impart that motivation onto the team so they bring it in spades on Saturday, then truly I don't know where the heck the Jayhawks are headed this year.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #2067 by Bayhawk
I believe they are brass "you-know-whats." Meanwhile, let's take the bull by the hand and stop mixing our metaphors.

(An attempt at a little humor while we wait. In all seriousness I know you are a great writer in "real life.")

RC ;-]

-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #2068 by konza63
:lol:

Yes, that would be the more common vernacular. But I've heard steel, um, "tossed" around too. LOL

Whichever it is, let's just hope they grow 'em. :whistle:

Thx, mate.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #2069 by JRhawk
Don't forget Javan Felix - 17 points last night. You are on a roll bringing up nightmare games (that I witnessed in person) - in another thread the not so Sweet 16 loss to UM (I agree that KU team was tough) and the Elite 8 loss in SA.
This team is a mystery for sure.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #2070 by konza63
I definitely didn't forget him. He and Ridley were in the back of my mind (along with Taylor) when I said they had better scoring talent than WVU.

Sorry about the bad, personally felt memories. We need some good ones to help you forget those (if that's possible). ;)

More
8 years 2 months ago #2071 by JRhawk
Just teasing you - won't forget them, but a NC in Houston Apr 4th would help a lot.

More
8 years 2 months ago #2079 by LSHawk
I will be one of 16,300 "6th men" in the barn, Saturday, making sure "we" protect home court.

More
8 years 2 months ago #2080 by Bayhawk
RC

-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #2084 by NotOstertag
Great question. Who calls the meeting? I wouldn't be surprised if HCBS doesn't call Frank, Wayne or Perry into the office and pushes one of them to do it.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #2085 by konza63
If Self has to call them into his office to push them to call such a meeting, our problem is even more serious than we think.

As for who might call it, the candidates are not promising.

Ellis has no fire, so he's unlikely. (Though, if he did, it would represent such a shock to the others--owing to it being so out of character--that it might be worth more value than anyone else)

Selden also rarely exhibits fire, and you don't see him doing much talking, so he seems unlikely as well.

Mason is really the only one you could see doing it. But something is wrong with him, and with it being a 2-guard-led offense, maybe it's diluted some of his leadership capacity?

Graham probably hasn't been around long enough. And our bigs don't contribute enough to be taken seriously as forceful team leaders.

It probably comes down to Mason, or Ellis having an out-of-character transformation.

Back to my point in other threads, this team lacks a "refuse-to-lose" winner-type assassin.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JhawkMom

More
8 years 2 months ago #2087 by Senex68
Here is my analysis of the various personalities on this team.

Frank is laconic. Look it up if you don't know what it means.
Wayne is laconic.
Devonte appears to be laconic.
Ellis is laconic.
Hunter is laconic.
Lucas is laconic.
Greene is a motormouth, which seems to always get him into trouble. If he played more, and had more credibility, he's the guy. But he has neither, it appears, so skip him.
Svi is Ukrainian. Rarely does a foreign player play the lead in these dramas. He won't.
The freshmen are freshmen, and even though they may have the cajones, they are freshmen, and won't open up.
Traylor is an unknown to me. He appears to have the personality, albeit still a quiet guy, but he probably isn't a natural leader in the 'clubhouse.' Probably not him either.

In truth, this team lacks a natural leader, and THAT may be the problem. And it does not have a natural solution, either. Interesting problem, I think.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 2 months ago #2088 by AZhawk87
More than anyone this season, I am surprised - unpleasantly - by Wayne. For two years he has disappeared for long stretches of games and seasons, but I really thought this was his year.

He was the pure leader this summer, and was the leader for the first ten games of this season. He even said in an interview that he and Frank were going to lead this team - not Ellis.

Now, he is back to disappearing.

I'm going to take a huge flier, and predict that Bragg will emerge as the leader on this team. Having a freshman lead is crazy, especially with our upperclass heavy roster. Maybe it's due to lack of other options, but his energy and enthusiasm may just have to be let loose and hopefully be contagious for the rest of the team. Now, we just have to get Self to let him play.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #2089 by Wheatstate Gal
Not taking the time to determine which metal is bigger and stronger. Either will do at this point.

I'm not sure why I keep prefacing my "serious" posting attempts with "I don't know as much about this game as you have all forgotten".....I know, I know...you GET it!

Anyway, who was our last "take no prisoners, we are gonna win this thing assassin"?

More
8 years 2 months ago #2092 by LSHawk
Thanks. Encouraging...