Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

And now Devon....

• KMT
  • KMT's Avatar Topic Author
More

Share this page:

More
5 years 1 month ago #22574 by CorpusJayhawk
What in the world is going on? This is getting to the point of crisis. I’d this mutiny or just a bunch of dreaming youngsters with delusions of millions?

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #22575 by NotOstertag
I'll pull my post down and we can talk over here...

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
5 years 1 month ago #22576 by NotOstertag
What the holy heck? Ok, I'm hoping this is a "test the waters" thing, but this is unreal.

I'm literally flabbergasted.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but with this many rats jumping off a ship, it's an indicator that it's sinking. Do they know something about the program (NCAA-related? Self-related?) that we don't?

I'm speechless.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• KMT
More
5 years 1 month ago #22577 by KMT
Agreed NO - normally I don't get all "Oliver Stone", but something just doesn't feel right with all of this.

The Oliver Stone on my shoulder is saying that he sat down with everyone, had NDA's signed and shared some info with them.

The optimistic voice on the other shoulder is saying to read what he wrote as it might help gauge some intel, return and work on his game accordingly.

Dunno

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 1 month ago #22578 by HawkErrant
Pretty sure DD is just testing the waters.
Hope like the dickens he is just testing the waters.
Doesn't hurt him to do it.

Big Plus -- with so many players doing this, and only 60 NBA Combine invites... of course, he'll be rated higher than Q.

Dang, Q can't get away from the lad.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #22579 by HawkErrant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 1 month ago #22580 by CorpusJayhawk
I guess if you are stretching to find a positive explanation you could say that with all the defections that Dotson saw that his risk of being recruited over has gone to zero so he has a 100% certainty of being accepted back to KU. Thus, he has nothing to lose by testing the waters. In the chess game of life it is a pretty shrewd move. He will find that his best bet is to return and work his way into a 1st round pick.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, KMT, Wheatstate Gal

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #22581 by replayloungehawk
I agree with others on this post. I have a sneaking suspicion something big is about to be announced. Like major sanctions from the NCAA or Self is leaving. This doesn't make sense to have this many people deciding to leave the program.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #22582 by konza63
As that sage wise man Slim Pickens once said in Blazing Saddles:

“What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?”

:huh:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal, replayloungehawk

• KMT
More
5 years 1 month ago #22583 by KMT
PS just saw this...optimistic voice on the shoulder is getting louder.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, wchawk, gorillahawk, boulderhawk, wardhawk, Wheatstate Gal, replayloungehawk, newtonhawk

More
5 years 1 month ago #22584 by newtonhawk
THANK YOU, KMT!!!

Ya'll were getting me worried!

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #22585 by Wheatstate Gal
Given this gem that KMT just posted.....maybe we better get accustomed to this.....fledglings gonna try their wings with the agreement between the NBA and NCAA.

I’m trying to understand the thought process. Wonder if our blessed #BIFM would have done this had the situation been different. 4 yrs in college sure paid off for him.

I guess if my entire life I’d dreamed of playing in the NBA, my ego would be sufficient for me to test the waters....difference would have been my parents who would have said “have you lost your mind? You stay where you are right now!” ;-). Yes, I had very supportive parents who checked my ego, OFTEN.

I don’t know Devon’s family financial situation, which may be a YUGE factor.

All I do know is that my mom and dad would have been busting out all over had they had a child who was a Kansas Jayhawk......but, we are natives, too!

Trying hard NOT to panic!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
5 years 1 month ago #22587 by LSHawk
the least “Jayhawk” team ever?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
5 years 1 month ago #22588 by murphyslaw
I've had the same questions, NotO. Something doesn't feel right about all this, and I worry about the future of the program.
Something's going on, I think.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #22593 by Wheatstate Gal
LSHawk.....good question. I thought it was ME.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #22596 by HawkErrant

LSHawk wrote: the least “Jayhawk” team ever?

My thoughts focus on three major factors for this feeling.

First is that the new NCAA rules on testing the NBA draft make it much more appealing for the high caliber players we want on board to get a professional evaluation of their draft stock. While we the fans support them in this, it is a bit nerve wracking for us and subconsciously— whether we want to admit it or not — we question their commitment to KU. This is a permanent change that will impact college hoops — and our impressions, at least at first — from here on out.

Second is the OAD era, and players really only being in college because they needed a good stage to showcase their talents while waiting for their shot at The Show. The kids may still feel very strongly positive about their school experience, but the strong bonds that have traditionally formed with both teammates and the fan base from three to four years in the program just don’t develop. Thankfully this factor will be going away in the future and we will only be getting players that want to be “student-athletes”. OADs will still be with us as kids explode on the scene in their freshman year, but it won’t be the same environment as today.

Finally is this is the feel/mindset/environment that develops when there so many transfer players on the roster as compared to a team being almost all KU kids from the beginning. Throw in that in today’s environment with NBA early entry and graduate transferring many of them are OADs as far as the fans getting to know them, and you have a recipe for a melange instead of an emulsion or, even better, a solution. The end product is simply not as strong and as stable as the products we have historically seen, and their and *our* connections to it simply don’t get the needed time to develop and flourish as they used to get.

Oh, and there is also this... the fact that this team didn’t continue the streak colors both their ties with KU and our ties with them. I think it’s a sad truth.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, porthawk, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #22598 by Wheatstate Gal
Thank you, HE.

I think, in my own feeble mind, that I am blaming the end of the streak ( which had to happen sometime) on some players having a lack of identity/pride as a Kansas Jayhawk with every ounce of their being.

That somehow they didn’t care enough to not let the streak end on their watch.

i Need to let it go.......as I have no real clue how they feel. Well, except for maybe Mitch.

More
5 years 1 month ago #22600 by Senex68
Test

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
5 years 1 month ago #22601 by hairyhawk
Not a good start to the off-season. I do think if you are thinking about someday playing in the NBA you should at least try this to get feedback from NBA folks on their perception of your game.