Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

When was the last time...

• USAF Jayhawk
  • USAF Jayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #1193 by USAF Jayhawk
We dropped a 100 (or won by 28) on a ranked opponent?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #1205 by AZhawk87
I have no idea, but I loved Drew's comment about thinking his zone defense would keep the score low like it has in the past, but KU just blew the doors off and skunked his plan. Self is letting these guys play, and has adjusted to not having the high low as the primary emphasis, thought it's still a solid part of his game plan. Guys can now take threes without fear of sitting on the bench if they miss.

We're making progress!

More
8 years 2 months ago #1207 by CorpusJayhawk
Since the 1949 season KU has played 2044 games. 409 of those have been against ranked opponents (about 20%). We have played the No. 1 team 25 times. We have played 14 different teams that have been ranked No. 1. We have played 1 team 4 times when they were No. 1. Any guesses?

-- We have played 121 teams in AFH that were ranked (Mizzou 16 for the most)
-- 303 times we played a ranked team when we were also ranked.
-- We are 217-192 agianst ranked teams (53%)
-- We are 79-42 in AFH (65%)
-- We are 138-150 on the road (48%)
-- We have scored 100 or more 9 times. (6 in AGH, 1 against Mizzou in Hearnes Center, 1 against Arizona in McKale Center and one against Oregon in Kohl Center). We won all of those games.
-- 7 times opponents have scored 100 on KU. (Never in AFH)
-- Highest score of 114 against 15th ranked Colorado in 1997 (KU was ranked No. 1)
-- Most points in a loss of 95 against Oklahoma in 1989 (123-95)
-- KU has played 27 games against ranked opponents as the No. 1 team. Record is 17-10 (63%)

This one may surprise you. KU has only played 27 ranked opponents as the No. 1 team. 5 of those in AFH. The only loss was to No. 2 ranked Mizzou in 1990.

-- Biggest margin of victory 40 against No. 15 ranked Colorado in 1997 (114-74)
-- We have defeated a ranked opponent 11 times by 28 or more (including now Baylor)
-- Maybe the best victory was against Connecticut in 1995 when KU was ranked 7 and they were ranked 2. KU won 88-59.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling, porthawk

More
8 years 2 months ago #1208 by porthawk
Thanks so much for researching the numbers! If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were a stats guy :)

And I vividly remember the win over Connecticut. One local headline in the NY papers was "UConn Can't"

Here's an article from that game from the Philadelphia Inquirer. I forgot that we beat #1 UMass that same year (led by none other than Calipari).
articles.philly.com/1995-01-29/sports/25...-pearson-kansas-fans

More
8 years 2 months ago #1209 by JoJoHawk
I attended the game against UConn at the Kemper Arena in Kansas City in 1995. I vividly remember running the Ray Allen led Huskies right off the floor. Anyone recall who was the Jayhawks leading scorer?

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 2 months ago #1212 by Sieverling

CorpusJayhawk wrote: -- Maybe the best victory was against Connecticut in 1995 when KU was ranked 7 and they were ranked 2. KU won 88-59.

Wow, what a game. I believe this is the game I drove down to Colorado Springs and got a cheap motel room so I could watch. The Denver CBS affiliate was showing the state HS football championship or all-star game. The Springs' affiliate had the game.

Hic manebimus optime

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 2 months ago #1213 by Sieverling

JoJoHawk wrote: Anyone recall who was the Jayhawks leading scorer?

Jerod Haase

boxscore

Hic manebimus optime

More
8 years 2 months ago #1218 by Kong
but be careful. Seen is going to jump all over that typo "AGH". Oh the angst he must be suffering, tossing and turning trying to decide if he should pounce on you like he does for me. Oh the angst. Better fix it quick before he implodes. ;-)

Seldon (said like Noonan from caddy shack)

Visualize Whirled Peas