Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Perry in the Post

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #1179 by porthawk
Anybody else notice Perry ducking in hard for post position on a # of occasions during the BU game? Between the screens set for him and the his hard cuts, it was clear that HCBS was make a concerted effort to get Perry in a good spot in the post to receive the ball. And it seemed to be working well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #1181 by mtnMan
But a couple of times Perry was in the dribble weave. In general I thought the goal was to get him the ball about 10 feet from basket so he could make quick short drives.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1204 by AZhawk87
I also noticed Perry leading with his body, drawing contact or knocking his defender away before shooting. Historically he would just go up in the post and get stuffed. Now he's playing so much more aggressive with his body. I love it.

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #1206 by porthawk
And it was very noticeable!

More
8 years 2 months ago #1231 by NotOstertag
Good point about leading with the body. Absolutely true, and a necessary part of what he'll need to do to play in the trees better. I still think he's never going to be a guy who will just overpower guys to get to the rim, but if he can get to the line, that works too,

I wonder if Frank Mason is giving him some tips. Mason seems to be able to run into the forest, elevate, and then move the ball around until he finds a gap to get it to the rim, often drawing contact in the process.

Nevertheless, Perry seems to have figured out that going straight up into the outstretched paws of a 7 footer isn't a recipe for success.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot