Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Mick

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #1142 by HawkErrant
Corpus, what's the+/- for Hunter?

I ask because what I keep seeing is KU playing its best all around game when he's in the game.

Also glad to see Money hit a 3 at last. Popping in those FTs has hopefully reset his shot.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #1147 by porthawk
Yeah, totally agree with you about the BG hitting that three. He's definitely better when he's set. The one or two that he missed he was moving to his left.

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 2 months ago #1150 by Sieverling

HawkErrant wrote: I ask because what I keep seeing is KU playing its best all around game when he's in the game.

It was definitely true today. I think Hunter played more like Self wants from our non-Perry bigs. In previous games Hunter was scoring mostly away from the basket with jump shots. Today he was in the mix all second half. When we have a big, playing big, Perry can play to his strengths.

Hic manebimus optime

More
8 years 2 months ago #1151 by CorpusJayhawk
See the +/- posted. Your observation is spot on. Mickelson actually had the highest delta meaning there was the biggest drop off between him on the court and on the bench. His best game as a Jayhawk.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #1242 by konza63
Spot on, gents. And Dave, to your point, there was one play in the Baylor blowout that was seemingly vanilla to a casual hoops fan yet viscerally telling (and uplifting) to me. It was a play in which Perry started to make a move toward the rim off the left block, yet instead of forcing up a bad shot into the teeth of the D (which we've seen far too much in the past), he drew the D toward him and found an open Hunter off the right block moving into the paint for the easy layup. A made layup, I would add. :cheer: (My biggest beef with KU bigs the last 2.5 seasons) Perry is not a strong power forward that we can consistently run our inside offense through, as we (and hopefully Coach Self) have figured out. He is an athletic small forward with substantial versatility, however, and he becomes a VERY good player when he has a companion in the paint who can actually score (and draw some attention away from him, as a threat).

If this is not just a blip but a hard trend that deepens, it's huge. Because make no mistake about it, we're going to have to win some close-margin games with our inside presence this year, and that's the biggest weakness on the team that I can see (a non-polished inside power game). That and the lack of a truly elite defense (another KU achilles the past few seasons). Shore up our game in those two areas and we have the potential to become a veritable machine by April...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling

More
8 years 2 months ago #1262 by Senex68
I still am puzzled by the unwillingness of our bigs to dunk. Whenever we miss a 1 foot shot that should have been dunked but wasn't, I go ballistic. I've simply never seen a group so unwilling to stuff the basketball through the hoop.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #1265 by konza63
It is rather remarkable (and flabbergasting), Peter. It's plagued our veteran trio (Ellis, Traylor, Lucas) for their entire college careers, which is odd in as much you'd think that repeating the same ill-advised approach over and over (with the same bad results) would eventually sink in.

I must say, though, that on occasion I've been pleasantly surprised to see them go up stronger and actually finish. Perry had one dunk on Saturday that almost brought back memories of T-Rob--which is to say that the ball was slammed so forcefully through the rim that it seemed to hit the floor before he did and threatened to crater Naismith Court. Unfortunately, I believe he did so because he was mad at himself for having gone up softly on a play prior to that and getting enough defensive pressure that he missed a 6-inch gimme. (Face plant)

If I were those three bigs, in particular, and I EVER came within a foot of the rim, I'd go up with a two-handed dunk every single time instead of a layup or finger roll. The best outcome is a made shot and a foul, the next best is a made shot, the next to worst is a missed shot but a foul, and the worst is a missed shot but no foul. I'll take those odds any day over soft, missed bunnies.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1275 by RobS
Corpus: Where's the +/- posted?

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #1278 by Sieverling
If you click on someone's profile, you'll see a list of all his/her posts. Or you can do a search. I searched "+/-" to find it. It had dropped to page 2 of the BB board.

Corpus' post

Hic manebimus optime
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Sieverling.