Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

How HCBS learned to think small

• mtnMan
  • mtnMan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #1115 by mtnMan
Good read and interesting thoughts on why Selden is unleashed this year

KCStar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #1169 by Kong
The line up is much more typical of what I think Self always builds towards.

Two combo guards with a solid rotation of bigs.

This allows a player like Seldon freedom. When Self tried to have two big wings that disrupted the offense. Two playmakers, two threats in the low post, leaves a powerful, versatile wing free to play.

Got to love how Seldon has embraced it now. I see Greene embracing the role since his suspension as well. I think this really bodes well for the year

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
8 years 2 months ago #1183 by Bayhawk

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #1184 by Senex68
I don't think there is any question that our current lineup is really, really effective. SeldEn has matured tremendously, and he's stopped his 'drives to nowhere' and become an elite shooter. In some ways, as SeldEn goes, so go the Jayhawks. But even when SeldEn has a mediocre game, the rest of the team can and does carry us. The change in our offense is due, in large part, to the guard play, but we cannot discount the role that Mickelson has played in the past 5 or 6 games. He is playing at a very high level, and rim protection that we didn't have the first part of the year. An although Self rarely explains why he plays certain players when we are ALL frustrated by his decisions, it appears that he may actually know what he is doing. I have to say that watching other teams play is sometimes so depressing. Not depressing because they are so good, but depressing for me to imagine how lousy it must be to be a fan of a team of otherwise talented young men who are being coached by an incompetent. And far too many teams have lesser talents as coach. Like so many other professions, coaching a Division 1 basketball team is dominated by a tiny group of stars, men who sit at the very tip of a very, very wide bottomed pyramid. We are amazingly lucky, and I cannot state that enough. And it is amazing how well Wayne SeldEn shoots 3s!

As a counterpoint, I need to point out that our Mr. Greene, improving in all aspects of his game, appears to be regressing in the most bizarre way at the foul line. Weird! Anyway, I'm glad that Wayne SeldEn decided to come to KU from Dorchester, MA. And I'm glad that Wayne SeldEn's mother and brother moved to Lawrence.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 2 months ago #1185 by CorpusJayhawk
I agree totally that Wayne Seldun has become the core of this team. The Seldin of last year is a distant memory. I much prefer the Seldan of 2016. And I too am glad that Seldon and his mother chose to live in Lawrence. I think the team of Masun, Seldeen, Mickulson, Ellus and Gramm are coming together into an elite squad. And what a blessing to have such a deep bench with Brandon Green, Lannen Lucus, Chick Dealo, Carl Brag and Sveotoslav Mickheiluke makes us perhaps a favorite to win the NC. Sorry Peter, I just couldn't resist!

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling

More
8 years 2 months ago #1187 by Senex68
I appreciate your response, Carpus!

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 2 months ago #1188 by Kong
If he believes anyone else is piling on me, you make his day.

Having said that, Seldon (I shall always spell it that way now for Senex's pleasure) is perfect for the mix of talent we have.

I will also add two things that appear to be assisting in this teams play. The first is that with a more experienced team, one that does not rely on the one and done, Self can implement more of his offense. He can have more variations on a theme and it creates more difficulty for defenses. The second aspect is that due to the WUG, I believe Self has more faith in his guards. The shorter clock allowed for one or two passes at a play and then Mason would take over.

All good for KU.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
8 years 2 months ago #1201 by hairyhawk
I think the biggest thing is the 2 smalls capable of playing point on the floor at the same time. I think another good thing as Senex mentioned has been the play of Mr. Mickelson.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1203 by AZhawk87
I also see a team that FINALLY seems to be having fun playing together - and a coach that seems to enjoy coaching again.

There was a stretch over the past two years where no one - including many of us fans - were enjoying KU basketball. Winning for sure, but passion and fun was lacking. OAD wasn't what we hoped it would be, even if we ended up with high draft picks. Many of us mentioned that on this board. Self looked irate most of the time, and the players played scared of him (IMO).

For me, Self has opened up the game to allow Mason and Selden to lead, and to just let Ellis and others do what they do best. Ellis seems to be thriving with just being left alone to do his thing, without the spoken pressure of being the team leader - which he is not. Greene has matured over the past couple games in a way that I would never have expected. Lucas, Mickelson and Traylor know their roles, and play at a very high energy level whenever called upon.

I see a mojo on this team and a killer instinct brewing. Now, if Self can just figure out how to get Bragg and Diallo some more playing time.

Rock Chalk!

More
8 years 2 months ago #1227 by NotOstertag
Don't forget that recruiting results steer what you end up constructing on the court. In a given year, if you have 3 scholarships to give, things will be different depending on whether you get 2 bigs and 1 guard, 1 combo guard and 2 bigs, 3 guards, or any other combination.

Frank Mason is a great PG and has an amazing ability to get to the rim and even *gasp* rebound. Graham is also a very good PG (I believe he'll improve even more). Throw in Selden who is an amazing athlete, who is making fewer mistakes, and who has suddenly become a top level 3 point threat, and we have a great back court. Now, imagine that any one of those guys wasn't here, and things change pretty dramatically.

Anyway, my point is that while Self certainly captains the ship, the "course" is determined by the weather, currents, and icebergs that are the result of the team that you have available at any given time.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot