Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Satrday and Monday

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #1099 by Senex68
Just thought I would remind everyone that assuming we win the Baylor game on Saturday, we will be the #1 team according to at least one rating service on Monday. And if Oklahoma beats ISU on Saturday, Monday night's game will be one of those 'once a year, maybe' games, with the 1 playing the 2. For us, it could be a magical start to the New Year, shutting down a lot of doubters, and those in the 'self-described expert' community, who pray that OU beats us, so they can hail the 'new kid in town,' finally. They are trying as hard as they can to promote OU, and I certainly would love to shut them up.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 3 months ago #1100 by CorpusJayhawk
Believe it or not KU has played as the No. 1 ranked team against the No. 2 ranked team only 1 time in history. That seem crazy to me. That was in Roy Williams 2nd season when No. 1 KU played No. 2 Missouri on February 13, 1990. KU lost that game. So KU has NEVER won as a No. 1 ranked team against a No. 2 ranked team. Let's hope that is about to change. KU has played as the No. 2 team against the No. 1 team three times,
3/10/1990 -- No. 2 KU lost to No. 1 OU -- 77-95.
3/29/1986 -- No. 2 KU lost to No. 1 Duke -- 67-71
and the granddaddy of them all
3/23/1957 -- No. 2 KU lost to No. 1 UNC -- 53-54 in 3 OT's.

SO KU has never won a game as the No. 1 or No. 2 ranked team against a No. 1 or No. 2 ranked team.

KU has played 106 games as the No. 1 ranked team. They have won 89 for an 84% winning percentage. 27 of those games were against ranked teams and KU won 17 of those 27. 9 of these 27 games were in 1997, 6 in 2010.

Of the 106 games KU has played as the No. 1 ranked team here is a breakdown by year.
2011 -- 2
2010 -- 16
2005 -- 1
2004 -- 1
2002 -- 8
1997 -- 31
1996 -- 5
1995 -- 2
1994 -- 2
1993 -- 4
1990 -- 8
1957 -- 11
1952 -- 3

Only 45 times has KU taken the floor at Allen Fieldhouse as the No. 1 team.

This is truly an historic time if KU can beat Baylor.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling

More
8 years 3 months ago #1101 by JRhawk
Hopefully KU shows up at the correct game time tomorrow (3pm CT) and not the 8pm shown at the top of the page.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1108 by hairyhawk
We almost need to win these games to have chance at the league own as they are at home. Keep them pumped HCBS.

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #1111 by Senex68
These are historic times. If this team is going to be great, it will win the next two games. It's that simple. We are better than both, and we're playing at home. I expect Saturday to be a fairly easy game, but Monday will be tough, very tough.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 3 months ago #1140 by JhawkMom
I would also since I have a very good Sooner alum friend.
Glad to see you back!!! You are important to t RCB