Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

AY2017-18 KUMBB Recruiting Updated 2018-07-23

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #16438 by HawkErrant
JayhawkSlant/Rivals writer Shay Wildeboor reports Self and Snacks had an in-home visit with 5* SG Romeo Langford today. The Indiana kid has finished his official campus visits with his last 3: KU, Vandy and IU.

Shay likes KU chances.
Rivals national analyst Eric Bossi, at least right now, is predicting he'll go Vandy

One thing in KU's favor -- Langford is very close with KU signee Quentin Grimes. Says Shay "The two talk together a lot and I know that Grimes is in Langford's ear as much as possible about joining him at Kansas."
Link (JayhawkSlant members only, sorry)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16439 by JhawkMom
Why wouldn't he prefer to be on a top contender team over the likes of Vandy and IU? Plus play with a good friend. I bet we get him!!!

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #16621 by HawkErrant
Shay Wildeboor reports that the KU staff have been to visit the 6-6/185 Tevian Jones in "the last week or so" and has added the 4* small forward (Rivals #85 and rising) to the Slant "Hot Board".

Based on that I have added him to the "Offered" table, although he has yet to actually get an offer from KU.

Jones currently has 11 offers in hand (shown in alpha order) -- Arizona, California, Connecticut, Grand Canyon, Illinois, Mississippi State, Nevada, San Diego State, UC-Santa Barbara, UNLV, and USC Trojans.

Don't know what -- if anything other than bet hedging -- it says about KU's recruitment of 5* SG Romeo Langford, but it sure does seem to confirm that Self & Co are planning on having enough scholarships available to bring in one more recruit for next year.

Both Langford and Jones are waiting until Spring to make their decisions. Jones is focusing on school and playing, and won't be making his official campus visits after his season is over.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17133 by HawkErrant
Vick and Newman are reportedly leaving for pro careers after this season.

A poster on the paid site JayhawkSlant.com with connections in the program commented today that his connections have confirmed this information.

Such heresay in and of itself is not necessarily worth reporting.

However, the Slant's head man Shay Wildeboor responded to this post as follows --

"I expect both to leave at the end of the season to pursue professional careers."

Shay does not idly make such comments, so I will be very surprised if Vick and Newman do NOT leave.

I have adjusted the OP information summaries and tables accordingly.

Their departures would mean that Self & Co still have 1 available scholarship left to cover Romeo Langford should he want to be a Jayhawk.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, KMT, DrJHawker

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17141 by HawkErrant

The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT, DrJHawker

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 week ago #18398 by HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 week ago #18421 by HawkErrant
www2.kusports.com/news/2018/apr/06/kus-l...-intention-turn-pro/

So with Vick having announced, we turn in earnest to konza63’s best Shakespearean oratory — “Romeo, oh Romeo... wherefore art thou, Romeo?”

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 week ago - 6 years 1 week ago #18428 by HawkErrant
And yes, I tweeted it myself because it was a Rivals article and I wasn't sure sure if non-subscribers would be able to see it on Rivals.

ANYWAY, here is more on some of Romeo's decision making process, which seems to be very well thought out.

Hopefully he chooses KANSAS!

Last Edit: 6 years 1 week ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 week ago #18431 by HawkErrant
And he's not coming back, per mom.
"Lagerald Vick's mother just told me that her son won't return to KU and his decision is final. The family will worry about signing with an agent at a later date. #kubball"

10:58 AM - Apr 6, 2018

More
6 years 1 week ago #18434 by porthawk
I agree! Really is thought out. Interesting about why he eliminated Kentucky and UNC -- especially UK.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 week ago #18453 by HawkErrant
www.flohoops.com/articles/6169126-flo40-...on-in-next-few-weeks

According to the article Langford plans to sit down with his family and make a decision sometime after the April 13 Nike Hoop Summit.

Mom’s favorite schools and Dad’s favorite schools did not make Romeo’s last 3 of KU, Indiana and Vanderbilt, so It seems that in the end Romeo will have the final say.

Simple gut check, I think the kid has a pretty good idea where he wants to go (naturally I think it’s KU of course, he was just waiting for the announcements before making his final decision) and we should know NLT April 20.

The 247Sports Crystal Balls projections have been off in the past, of course, but in the days since the Newman and Vick announcements the KU projections have gone from about 15% to 25%.

Fingers crossed he’ll emulate Wiggins in his decision.

More
6 years 6 days ago #18463 by JhawkMom
He's not going to get as much attention at Indiana nor Vandy as he will at KU. Plus, wouldn't he want to play on a winning team, with his talent. Add in a good friend recruiting him. He sure won't go wrong being a Jayhawk!!!!!

More
6 years 4 days ago #18493 by JhawkMom
I just read about Dedric and K.J. joining the Jayhawk family. Transferring from. Memphis. I don't particularly like transfers because you have to wait so long to see them play

They remind me of the Morris twins. Glad these two have different hairdos lol. I could never tell the Morrison's apart

Wondering what impa t this will have on our recruitment of Romeo???? Any word if Grimes is making any headway in getting him to KU?
How many scholarships does KU have left?

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 4 days ago - 6 years 4 days ago #18503 by HawkErrant

JhawkMom wrote: I just read about Dedric and K.J. joining the Jayhawk family. Transferring from. Memphis. I don't particularly like transfers because you have to wait so long to see them play

They remind me of the Morris twins. Glad these two have different hairdos lol. I could never tell the Morrison's apart

Wondering what impa t this will have on our recruitment of Romeo???? Any word if Grimes is making any headway in getting him to KU?
How many scholarships does KU have left?

First, today is the start of the spring signing period, and Agbaji is signing his NLI tonight.

Second, Romeo Langford will announce his school choice on April 30.

Third, Mom’s queries...

The Lawson’s transferred to KU last year, sat out this year, will play next year. Langford being the thorough kid he is , his plans have always included their presence, and they would have to be considered as positives in attracting him to KU.

Reports are that the Langford camp is an even tighter one than the Wiggins camp was, meaning if anyone beyond Romeo himself truly knows what he is thinking (and last quote had him saying he was undecided), they are not giving anything away. All the speculation by the recruiting gurus is just that, speculation.

Finally, I update the Origin post for this thread on a recurring basis, to include the latest estimate on available scholarships.

Assuming that Silvio will be declared ineligible and that Dok stays, KU has 2 scholly available, one for Romeo and one for someone else as yet unknown.

Last Edit: 6 years 4 days ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 4 days ago #18504 by HawkErrant
I accidentally posted it before I was finished with it, so I have gone back and completed it to read as I intended.

If you read it immediately after I first posted it, it will actually make sense now.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :P

The following user(s) said Thank You: JhawkMom

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 4 days ago #18506 by HawkErrant
Welcome aboard, Ochai!

The following user(s) said Thank You: JhawkMom

More
6 years 4 days ago #18507 by CorpusJayhawk
Holy cow!! If De Sousa is declared ineligible, then we will have only 4 returning players;

Azubuike
Lightfoot
Garrett
Cunliffe

I guess in some sense the transfers are returning players but in a greater sense they are newcomers. Have we ever had only 4 returning players?

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
6 years 4 days ago #18508 by JRhawk
I hope you are correct about Dok, but the last I saw, he was mulling. Haven't heard much about the transfers during the season - as opposed to the year before when it was reported that Newman was the best player on the team.

More
6 years 4 days ago #18510 by CorpusJayhawk
From everything that has been bantered and also from the eye test of videos from Memphis, Dedric Lawson appears to be a beast +1. He could be that explode on the scene high profile guy in 2019. Charlie Moore has a rep for being a smart PG and KJ Lawson should ad great quality depth. The freshmen are all crap shoots because...well...they are freshmen. But certainly they all look to be quality minutes guys. If Romeo comes we will have all the pieces except one. That being an undusputed senior leader at the point.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
5 years 11 months ago #18534 by porthawk
Kansas basketball signee makes major jump in updated Rivals rankings
www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2018...nee-makes-major-jum/
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, KMT