Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

bb press conferece - video

• Sieverling
  • Sieverling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #473 by Sieverling
Hunter spoke first, then Jamari, then Self. I don't know if this link will stay playable.

Notes to follow in a reply.

Hic manebimus optime
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Sieverling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #475 by Sieverling
Don't quote me. I'm taking notes on the fly.

Jamari - He'll basically finish his degree with the fall semester. He's never had a graduation ceremony before, so really looking forward to walking down the hill in the spring.

Self -
This team is among Self's quickest in getting a shot. This team can score easily. In general, as is true with this team, such team are not lock-down defensive teams. Teams that struggle to score, or to get a shot, know they have to play lock-down in order to have a chance.

If you're not a shot blocking team, you gotta be an activity team.

On Hunter -
Those jumpers (vs OSU) were nice, but jumpers like that don't give us an inside presence of rebounding and getting fouled.

On Jamari -
Talked about how the deck was stacked against him with him home life in HS. How he worked to get eligible for college and had some bad advice. Despite being ineligible at KU first year, he's worked hard at school. Proud he's graduating now. He's not our most skilled or biggest. But always gives great effort. He's a great leader and mentor.

A lot of good discussion about all the bigs and finding a combination. Depends on the opponent, how were playing, etc. it's a good problem to have, and we'll figure it out.

Montana -
They've been inconsistent. Could've won at Gonzaga. They have a good post players, quick ones on perimeter. They might be getting a starter from last year eligible for our game.

On Perry -
Several questions came back to Perry.
We need Perry to play bigger. His strength has always been when away from basket. But if he's doing that, and we don't have a big in the post, then we're hurting the team.

Perry can play at AA level, and we need that. We need him to be active and ultra aggressive. Go toward the basket, make the other team change in order to counter it. He's our one guy that can make something out of nothing.

Carlton and Cheick and the biggest upside of the bigs, but we have to win games now too. Carlton and Jamari are our best passing bigs. Carlton is always ready to make the high-low pass.... even when it isn't there.

On the limited bench play in 2nd half vs OSU -
Wasn't planned. But they were playing so well, and kept playing better and better. If guys aren't tired or in foul trouble, and they're playing well, there's no reason to pull them out. Go with your best players.

Hic manebimus optime
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Sieverling.

More
8 years 4 months ago #485 by Kong
When I first read "bb press conference" I thought Self was going to come out and say that we have the athletes to press more effectively and efficiently than ever in the past and that we could look forward to a much more aggressive stance to force more turnovers and get more easy run outs.

I like having some of these quick guys out there pressing. We have some length and quickness that can cause havoc at times.

Visualize Whirled Peas

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 4 months ago #499 by Sieverling
from TCJ, finally one that's free
Bill Self: Perry Ellis needs to be better

Hic manebimus optime