Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Pitino's player rating system (attn Corpus)

• Sieverling
  • Sieverling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 4 months ago #471 by Sieverling
How does this compare to yours?

Deconstructing the Pitino MVP scoring system

Hic manebimus optime

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 4 months ago #490 by CorpusJayhawk
Mr. Pitino has an advantage in having a couple team managers on staff who can track these things and compile them. It would be nice to have some of these other stats to mess around with. But one must also remember that the objective of statistical analysis drives the methodology. For instance, there are over 60 NCAA BB computer ratings sytems on the internet. Each one has a methodology for rating teams that is based in the objective of that system. Some systems are designed to rate the past performance with little regard to being an accurate prediction tool. Others are designed to be predictive. So if you want a tool that tells you how KU has performed in 2015-16 you would use the former, but if you want to know how KU will likely perform in the future you would use the latter. An example of the methodology difference would be a system that treats all games equally versus a system that uses a diminishing impact of older games. Or as Asteroid does in incorporating a mental toughness to adjust the rating for against tougher opponents. So it is important to know what the methodology is trying to accomplish. Looking at Pitino's my sense is he is using it more as a motivating tool to promote certain behaviors rather than strictly to guage the contribution of an individual to the teams overall performance. My NEP is designed with a strong focus on determining which player is actually contributing to the success of the team. For instance there is a diminishing return for a player that scores an exceedingly high percentage of the teams points consistently but the team loses. That player would have lofty individual stats but would not necessarily make the team better. I agree with assists and steals. They are very valuable to the success of the team where as scoring is not necessarily contributing to the team. The best KU example in the last 10 years of lofty individual stats but did not uplift the entire teams performance commensurate to his individual stats is Brandon Rush. He had the best individual stats on the team but had the 6th best +/- for the season. Whereas RussRob had so so stats but had a great +/-. As I said, my entire focus is built on the premise that the main objective is to outscore the other team which is a combination of achieving an high PPP offense and a low PPP defense. Therefore the promary goal boils down to +/-.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
8 years 4 months ago #497 by hairyhawk
I think he is just trying to gauge the players usefulness in that game. I question some of it such as this."Steal (+2): Again, an emphasis for Pitino from his early days in coaching. He wants pressure defense, especially on ballhandlers, to force quick decisions and often bad decisions." I am big fan of the 2008 Jayhawks. Mario had great steal numbers but I always felt that part of what got him those steals was Russ Rb's ball pressure. My point is rewarding the person that got credit for the steal does not always credit the person who was the cause of the steal. I am saying like an assist on a bucket that person deserves some credit.

• Sieverling
  • Sieverling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 4 months ago #498 by Sieverling
I agree. Often it seems like they're crediting the wrong player with the steal.

Hic manebimus optime