Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Carlton Bragg Arrested on Suspicion of Domestic Battery

More
7 years 4 months ago #9905 by NotOstertag
This could obviously influence his decision to turn pro. If he gets booted off the team, he'd have to choose between transferring and going pro, and I'd think he'd go for door #2.

Tough situation all around. We don't like to think we recruit "bad kids", and I'm not saying he is one, but you never know. Call me old fashioned, but putting your hands on a woman is a huge no-no unless you can prove an overwhelming need to defend yourself (i.e. she's armed). Then again, these are just kids and kids do stupid and regrettable things, and tossing a kid's life down the drain over a mistake seems overly harsh.

Finally, I have to admit that the mugshot bothers me a little. Either he didn't think getting arrested was a big deal, or he's not taking the whole thing very seriously. Perhaps we'll learn that it was all a big misunderstanding, and that he somehow knew this as he was being booked. Nevertheless, if he's in a position where he's looking for sympathy from a judge or jurors, the big happy grin doesn't leave a great first impression.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 4 months ago #9908 by HawkErrant
Supposedly they found stuff on him, and it would explain the goofiness. Lord knows I did dumb things when I was under the influence of whatever (I still remember... naw, never mind... <blushing face>)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 4 months ago #9912 by Bayhawk

HawkErrant wrote: Supposedly they found stuff on him, and it would explain the goofiness. Lord knows I did dumb things when I was under the influence of whatever (I still remember... naw, never mind... <blushing face>)

Got any on ya'? :blink:

RC, man

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 4 months ago #9915 by HawkErrant
Haven't you heard? Timothy Leary's dead!
(Although I have heard it said that he's just outside looking in ...)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, Wheatstate Gal

More
7 years 4 months ago #9928 by rainyhawk
Apparently it was self-defense once they viewed the video tapes. The woman has now been charged instead. And the shove wasn't 'down the stairs', it was a shove aways from him and towards an ascending staircase after being hit/punched several times.

< www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/dec/14/batter...ku-basketball-playe/ >

More
7 years 4 months ago #9930 by NotOstertag
Great news in more ways than one. First, it's great that he didn't do it, and the evidence came out to support that so that he can move forward with his name clear.

The OTHER big piece of good news here is that it's a great lesson to the rest of the guys. Look, Carlton was partying at a frat house...no big deal for 99% of college students. If, however, you're a public figure, you're also a target. So maybe some of the other guys (and Carlton) will realize that even being around a sketchy situation can quickly get you into trouble.

If this had happened to a normal student, I doubt an arrest would have been made. Since Carlton is a local celebrity, it's national news. As a kid, I never understood the warnings from my parents that when you're around a negative situation, it can impact you even if you're not involved. I get it now, and I bet Carlton does too, and I hope that the rest of the guys get it as well. Sometimes, as the party devolves into late night, you might be better off going home before people start making dumb decisions.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 4 months ago #9931 by Wheatstate Gal
Mama Mia......Love the Moody Blues!!!!!

"Your Wildest Dreams....."

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 4 months ago #9934 by konza63
That's fantastic news. First and foremost, for the young man and for ensuring that evidence and justice prevailed--never mind the impact on the court. But it's also good, obviously, for KU and the team.

In reading this and the Star's accounting of the incident, I'm reminded of what I policeman friend of mine once said: there is no call he ever received that was more loaded with dynamite than that between wife and husband, or girlfriend/boyfriend. Clearly that was in play here. Glad someone had a video camera...

Last comment: My first reaction to the news (on this thread) was to shake my head in anguish, and to point to past cases of off-court drama. While I didn't belabor that or go overboard, next time I will know to wait until all evidence is out before stating any opinion at all.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
7 years 4 months ago #9937 by NotOstertag
Clearly people are innocent until proven guilty in this country, and none of us should jump to conclusions. I also think we're glad how this worked out. But at the same time, you can't be faulted for jumping the gun. As I'm sure most of our parents told us, "nothing good happens after 1am" (or words to that effect), and I'm sure most of us have been around the block enough times to verify the truth of that logic. So when the facts are that it was a late night/early morning frat party, and a young man got into a physical altercation with a woman (still true statements, btw), the odds of a good outcome are pretty slim.

In fact, this was the ONLY possible outcome (clear self defense) that would have saved the day. While I hoped for this outcome, I think we all can recognize that past history with immature athletes in similar situations made this outcome kind of a long shot.

Anyway, not to belabor the point. In the end, it was STILL likely an avoidable situation. So while Carlton is officially in the clear, I still don't think he's 100% without fault. He knows it, the team knows it, Self knows it, and therefore I hope that the whole team recognizes that when your psycho ex-girlfriend's friend shows up at the party drunk and angry, it might be a good time to head elsewhere.