Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Fools gold not so foolish after all for Kansas basketball

• Sieverling
  • Sieverling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 4 months ago #392 by Sieverling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 4 months ago #441 by NotOstertag
Gold is an investment, but any decent investor will tell you that you need to be diversified. I like to think of our offense as having diversified gold investments. Wayne is certainly showing that he can nail the 3 this year. Greene always could. Svi hasn't found it yet, but the reports are solid that he'll be there. Frank can hit it, so can Perry. Typically if a team only has one or 2 options from beyond the arc, and they rely too heavily on them, they can get burned. If any one (or two) of our guys is cold and we need to keep the defense honest, we still have other guys who need to be guarded outside.

That, of course, opens up interior opportunities. So while I think we can milk these 3's quite nicely, thank you, we should always keep in mind that having the defense come out to guard you opens things up for the bigs.

That ties into the final point: it's all about the "best shot". I think there's a tendency when you're hitting a high percentage to get lazy, not make the extra pass, and take "ok" 3 point shot attempts, which will likely result in "ok" results as opposed to "good" looks providing "good" results...from all over the court. The goal is to find the "best" shot, which may be an open look from 3, a drive to the hoop, or working inside.

I don't think, even with our good shooting in the early season, that we'll be a "fool's gold" team. We showed that in the last game when we started playing like that, and Self corrected the situation. We may at times fall into playing lazy ball, but I think Self can recognize it and make corrections when necessary.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• Bayhawk
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 4 months ago #442 by Bayhawk
"not make the extra pass" -- WORD!!!!! B)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 4 months ago #450 by NotOstertag
Ain't it the truth though? Sure is fun to see the ball move quickly and wind up in somebody's hands either standing alone for a wide open 3, or mysteriously appearing 3' from the hoop with no defenders within reach. Of course, it takes more than just passing, but cutting, setting picks, coming off screens, etc.

Is it Saturday yet?

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot