Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

tarred ones going to "skate" on academic scandal?

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #9016 by konza63
Hmmmmm... VERY in-ter-est-ing! :whistle:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by konza63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 6 months ago #9019 by Wheatstate Gal
I found it interesting that Louisville seems to be in a whole lot of REAL trouble for providing companionship to their recruits compared to UNC providing academic assistance to it's athletes.

I'm not comparing alleged indiscretions.... It just seems like the NCAA jumped more "swiftly" on Louisville.

More
7 years 5 months ago #9069 by NotOstertag
...and the beat goes on. Just read that UNC is battling the NCAA on technical issues like the statute of limitations and the fact that the NCAA could have been aware of this problem as far back as 2011. A bunch of alphabet soup between COI (committee on infractions) and other jargon made me sleepy, but the latest I heard was that it will now be spring 2017 before anything else happens.

So that's at least 2 full seasons where UNC basketball should have been under sanctions when they weren't. Still betting that if the hammer ever does fall on UNC hoops it will conveniently happen 5 minutes after their season ends and 3 minutes after HCRW retires.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 5 months ago #9407 by Illhawk
The way the NCAA hammered Notre Dame football for a couple years of academic fraud with stipulated facts might have a few folks in Chapel Hill concerned.

More
7 years 4 months ago #9621 by Governors
The latest article from the Triangle (not Bermuda):

www.newsobserver.com/news/local/educatio...rticle118196463.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
7 years 4 months ago #10001 by Governors

More
7 years 4 months ago #10002 by NotOstertag
Just pathetic that this continues to drag on with no action being taken.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 4 months ago #10068 by Governors
And yet the saga continues. This will probably go on forever, but it will definitely give the local newspapers a topic to discuss and review every few months.

www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/...rticle122813999.html

10. So you're saying it'll be a while?

It will be a while. Again. (And again.)

More
7 years 4 months ago #10069 by Bayhawk
Calamari's CV?

Too many BIG XII teams :(

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
7 years 4 months ago #10082 by NotOstertag
After reading the latest article, here's my takeaway:

1.) UNC did in fact create a system of fake classes that helped many of their athletes stay eligible.

2.) That action is completely unethical and clearly a violation of NCAA rules.

3.) Despite these facts, nothing has happened to UNC in almost 3 years, and there's no guarantee that anything WILL happen to them.

It's just pathetic. Nobody is denying what happened, yet there are no consequences for UNC.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10537 by Governors
Today's latest news:

“…AFAM 398 was not identified by Mr. Wainstein as an independent study class, a paper class or a bifurcated class,” Evrard wrote. The bifurcated classes were actual lecture classes, but students (mostly athletes) were allowed to enroll without attending, and were given high grades if they turned in a paper.

That Swahili course was one of roughly 185 classes disguised as lecture-style but had never met, had no instructor and only required a paper at the end.

Some of the strongest evidence that this AFAM 398 class was bogus comes from the professor who helped launch it, Reginald Hildebrand. In 2012, when details of the classes started to emerge, he wrote an essay conveying his shock and frustration over what had happened within his department.

The accuracy question, however, could boomerang on the university. In its challenge, UNC’s lawyer, Rick Evrard, stated in a letter last year that a class set up by one of the academic scandal’s central figures wasn’t found to be a bogus “paper” class. That assertion, however, appears to have been based on an inadvertent omission in a report that represents the most extensive public investigation into the classes.

In its ongoing battle with the NCAA, UNC-Chapel Hill has taken on the enforcement agency’s jurisdiction and challenged whether it could reopen a 2011 investigation into bogus classes that helped keep athletes eligible.

“Until I read (an early investigation into the classes), I was completely unaware that another version of the ‘AFAM Seminar’ had been offered during the summer on four occasions. I was not informed or consulted about it, and if I had been I would have said that it was pedagogically impossible to conduct that seminar adequately during a brief summer session.”

More
7 years 3 months ago #10544 by NotOstertag
More evidence, more continued inaction. I've lost faith that anything significant will ever happen here. If it does, it'll be so far down the road that everyone involved will be long gone from the public eye, and whoever is in charge will suffer "reduced penalties" since the perpetrators will all be retired or deceased. Sad.

There's really no disputing the facts on this one.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12515 by Governors

More
7 years 1 month ago #12517 by NotOstertag
sigh....the pot has been stirred again. I guess we'll wait another 6-8 weeks until the next story that doesn't change anything or report any real progress toward an actual outcome of the case.

Thanks for the update. Maybe...just maybe....she's finally coming forward because things are actually starting to happen? I can wish, can't I?

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12519 by Wheatstate Gal
We'll wish upon a star together, NotO.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag