Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Add your post game analysis here..

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5152 by NotOstertag
Early in the season, all of us armchair coaches analyze what we've seen. Who's doing well, who isn't, what's working what isn't. I invite all of the armchair coaches to comment under this thread after the Texas game.

Here's my analysis:

1.) We made pretty much everything.
2.) We played pretty good defense.
3.) Texas couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.
4.) It was over halfway through the 1st half, with the only question being whether KU would let them back in the game (p.s. we didn't).

Did I miss anything?

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #5155 by LasJayhawk
BEVO entered the game a bull, and left as a steer. :P

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, NotOstertag

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #5156 by konza63
I think it was over at the 16-minute mark...

But other than that, I think you nailed it! ;)

Congrats to Self and the young men for executing so well, playing loosely, and having fun out there! THAT is how we need to play in a couple weeks!

PS: nice to hear that Jerrance Howard put the scouting report and game plan together. That was a Dooley-esque performance on his part!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 2 months ago #5157 by LKF_HAWK
.... All but that putrid FT shooting. KU not going to be up 24 every game, meet to hit the charities.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5160 by porthawk
It just seemed like every bounce was going our way tonight.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5162 by Senex68
In some ways this game reminded me of the game that was declared "Ovah" by Anthony William Paczkowski, who once called himself a 'commentator' of this great sport. We were on fire, and there wasn't enough water on the Texas side of things to melt the Wicked Ant of The West. Overall, a most satisfying game that kept my interest in spite of the fact that a zombie was doing play by play.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 2 months ago #5164 by Canahawk
I did not see the game but did follow it on ESPN. For one thing our guys were very efficient making very high percentage of the shots, including many threes. The opposite is true for Texas as they missed tons of shots, perhaps due to our defense. I noticed Texas did not have any runs even a small one throughout the game. This was very strange. This must have been a really big team melt down on their part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senex68

More
8 years 2 months ago #5166 by CorpusJayhawk
5) We sucked from the free throw line

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #5168 by Freestate69
Per Scott Van Pelt, KU "dump-trucked" Texas.

Kinda like this?

"Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the earth." - Gandalf on passing through Columbia, MO

More
8 years 2 months ago #5171 by LasJayhawk
No one in college basketball would beat #Kansas tonight. No one

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith

More
8 years 2 months ago #5177 by porthawk
Outside of one shot of his getting blocked, he played a pretty much flawless game on offense. Watching him pump fake at the 3-point line before driving with a variety of spin moves, jukes, and such, he really put on a clinic last night! Way to go, Perry!

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5184 by NotOstertag
It was so out of hand at times that I found myself laughing. Texas misses a poorly selected shot, KU rebound, run down the court, drop a 3. Texas misses another poorly selected shot, KU rebound, run down the court, Perry drives for a layup. Texas turnover, KU gets the ball, run down the court, dunk.

It was ridiculous. You might be able to catch a replay on the ESPN app. I was just happy that Texas didn't get frustrated enough to start throwing punches.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: replayloungehawk

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5185 by NotOstertag
Absolutely true, but the numbers were SOMEWHAT inflated by some of the guys who shot 'em.

Mickleson (0-2), Diallo (2-4) and Traylor (0-1) combined for 2-7. Lucas (2-6) and Graham (2-4) were the two key guys who botched it most (4-10 combined). Ellis (1-2), Mason (1-1), Selden (1-2) and Greene (2-2) each only got to the line once (5-7 combined).

Overall not good, but aside from Lucas and Mickleson (who was in during junk time) who combined for 2-8 (25%) it wasn't as horrible as the overall numbers show. If Lucas hits his average (65%) and Mickleson sits we're looking at 4-6 instead of 2-8 from just those two guys.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5186 by minerscoach
Championship Quality Play. Great ball movement led to great shooting. Great energy on defense led to us getting the 50-50 balls. Just a great effort all around. Can we keep up this play for one more month? I thought it was as dominating a performance as I have seen in a while. RC

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5187 by NotOstertag
Not to take anything away from the guys, but Texas going 0-the universe in the first 6 minutes certainly set a tone. Part of that was very good defense, but part was also just bad luck. Once the tone was set and the momentum established, Texas was on its heels for the rest of the half. I was interested to see how they'd come out in the 2nd half, and Texas DID look ok for a couple of possessions before the bloodletting continued.

In short, had Texas had a better start, or had KU come out for the 2nd half overconfident, it could have been another game. Outside of those two opportunities, however, it looked like we stoke Texas' will to live. At certain points, judging by the Texas body language, St. Mary's Junior College for the Blind could have taken it to the 'horns.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5189 by NotOstertag
He was scoring at will at times. It was almost like slow motion...he'd get the ball and say, "hmmm, how do I want to do it THIS time?"

Ibeh had no answer to him. In the past, Perry would have been directed to try an post up on Ibeh and it would have been a mess. Last night, he had room to operate, and he made Ibeh look like a lumbering giant attempting to swat a mosquito.

A big part of that is Landon Lucas being in the game and taking over the post duties and freeing up space.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5196 by newtonhawk
At some point in the first half, Musberger mentioned how loose the Jayhawks were playing. That kind of summed it up for me. It appeared as though they were on the playground, at times. Wild crosscourt passes having to be snagged high in the air and behind the back dribble dropoffs gave a streetball feel. We even caught a smile from Perry at a timeout in the first half.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, NotOstertag

More
8 years 2 months ago #5198 by jbudb
Has anyone ever put a clock on how long Brent Munzberger and company tell war stories while totally ignoring the game? I know last night's blowout wasn't edge-of-seat stuff, but often several possessions passed without a break in the monologue.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5200 by NotOstertag
It was like they left the game and were broadcasting over beers from a sports bar. Sad.

Give me somebody like Bob Knight or Jay Bilas. Even in a blowout, there are ways to call a game and keep it interesting beyond telling stories from days gone by.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5237 by Wheatstate Gal
NotO--

It seems to me we have suffered thru our share of scoring dry spells in the past.....miserable whether great defense, poor shooting or just plain bad luck......those are tough to experience....but fun to watch when it ain't us!!! :evil: