Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

DeSousa update - NCAA ruled ineligible through the 2019-20 season on 2019-02-01

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 1 month ago #20501 by NotOstertag
In case you missed it: KU Sports article on Silvio

Summary: Seth Davis is reporting that KU is trying to push the NCAA to clear Silvio.

Here's the strategy:
1.) currently Silvio is in limbo with KU taking a stance on Silvio's innocence/guilt, awaiting NCAA guidance, and holding him out as a precaution.

2.) If KU admits that he took the $2500, KU could declare him ineligible, and then appeal to the NCAA to essentially punish him with "time served".

While this is certainly an interesting development, and does provide a ray of hope, I still maintain that the NCAA is essentially a useless pile of mush and that nothing will come of it. It apparently also opens up the possibility that the NCAA could rule that his ineligibility would go back to last year, thereby wiping out our record from last year.

My take: At this time last year, the Preston case was coming to a head and Billy chose to shuffle off to the Balkans. I imagine that Silvio is also facing a similar decision-making timetable, and that instead of following the same path as the Preston case, we're trying a different tactic.

It would be cool to get him back, and I really do want to see him play, but I've long ago given up any optimism about anything the NCAA gets involved in. He should transfer to UNC or Duke and they'd have him re-instated by Wednesday.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, porthawk, Wheatstate Gal, DrJHawker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 2 months ago #20502 by sasnak
I have been mulling this over for a bit. There is a good chance we will have to vacate some wins from last year. At this point, I say let him play. I am tired of these kids lives basically being destroyed because some greedy handler or relative (Preston) decided to cash in at their kid's expense.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
5 years 2 months ago #20503 by AZhawk87
1. Many keep saying it's just $2500 for classes. Let him play after time served. However, his guardian also took tens of thousands from Maryland. That applies to Silvio even though he came to KU. Once an ineligible player, always one. KU may be safe if we didn't know about the Maryland payment, but it doesn't change Silvio's status as an eligible player.

2. Many comments are about vacating our Final Four last year. In the realm of possible penalties, I'd take this and run. I don't get the concern over vacating a Final Four. That's a technical issue, not a player or program issue. We won, we went to the F4 and competed. That will never change. I don't care a lick if we have to take a banner down for an event that we didn't even win.

3. I say play him. Zion hasn't missed a game, so use that as a precedent. Also, if it turns out bad later, we still took our self imposed penalty with him missing games, and I think it's fair to give the kid some game time, and let all parties take their punishment if it's later determined he was ineligible. He certainly isn't the only one with their hand in the cookie jar here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JayhawkChef

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #20504 by Wheatstate Gal
There are times I wish we weren’t on a family channel!

I can think of more descriptive piles to call the NCAA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #20506 by NotOstertag
I honestly don't care about vacating a FF. While it's nice, we got there, but we didn't win. Our total count of "almosts" is high enough that I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I would, however, be very unhappy if we had our Big 12 championship vacated. The UCLA record was one of those, "this will never happen again" things until we did it. Then we went one past it to eliminate the tie.

Vacating that Big 12 title would put us in a tie with UCLA while still having had nobody but Kansas win the thing for 15 straight years (thankfully it wasn't a tie).

Nevertheless, there's discussion that even IF this process starts now, it can still be several weeks before we could get the case heard and POSSIBLY get Silvio back. I think they're grasping at straws here.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #20508 by HawkErrant
I like that the KUSports article notes-
“Over the last three months, Kansas has been working directly with members of the NCAA’s enforcement division to investigate the matter and agree upon a set of facts,” Davis wrote. “There is no guarantee the NCAA will accede to Kansas’ wishes, and there is no standard for how long the NCAA must take to render a decision. However, the anticipated step raises the possibility that De Sousa could play for the Jayhawks this season.”

There is also unsubstantiated talk (no verifiable sources) that the KU Staff is expecting a determination mid-week and are highly hopeful that Silvio will be cleared to play this Saturday. In that same vein there are projections that since KU has been working with NCAA staff before making this declaration, KU Staff are of the belief that the alleged (nothing but hearsay as to court testimony) Maryland money will not impact either DeSousa's status or KU's 2017-18 record.

Still, no one seems really comfortable about projecting what this KU admission means for last year.

:unsure: Are we having fun yet?:dry:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20509 by HawkErrant
I like this train of thought stolen from poster J.Holihan on JayhawkSlant kansas.forums.rivals.com/threads/silvio-....75076/#post-1336196

NCAA taking a ton of heat nationally over this situation—and rightfully so—so to me this smells of a convo between the two sides in which the NCAA essentially told Kansas that they need to openly and publicly recognize that the infraction was committed and that they are willing to settle for a time-served suspension as opposed to coming at it like the NCAA has just screwed their player over for no reason. I think some middle ground was finally agreed upon and the two sides are trying to meet halfway.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #20510 by NotOstertag
As the guy who pooh-pooh'ed the story that Agbaji would get un-redshirted, I would be very happy to be wrong again.

What we need is a spy who can get into a KU practice and see if he's playing on the red squad defending Dedric in practice or playing along side him on the blue squad. That would be quite an indicator.

In a Dok vs. Silvio comparison, nobody is bigger or stronger than Dok and nobody can muscle up for a dunk like him. Silvio can, however, play with a ton of physicality, and it's bigger than Lawson. Sliding Silvio into Dok's spot would get us back to a 2-big option that might be more versatile than the Dok/Dedric combo.

Going to listen for any clues that might drop tonight.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20514 by HawkErrant
I'm not a subscriber to The Athletic, which is where the original Seth Davis article is published, or I would have mentioned this sooner.

I just read a comment by someone who has read the entire article stating that Davis reports both Maryland and the NCAA have looked into the Maryland money allegation, and neither have found any evidence that a payment was made.

Another person posted this text purportedly from theathletic.com: Hoop Thoughts Exclusive: Kansas will ask NCAA to reinstate Silvio De Sousa by Seth Davis Jan 14, 2019 (a subscription site) :

During the trial in New York, Gassnola testified he gave the money to De Sousa’s guardian, Fenny Falmagne, in order to help pay for online classes that would enable De Sousa to enroll at Kansas for the second semester. Falmagne has publicly denied accepting any money. Gassnola said during the trial he originally had offered $20,000, which supposedly would help Falmagne reimburse a Maryland booster who allegedly had given Falmagne $60,000. I’ve been told that Maryland and the NCAA have looked into that allegation and found no evidence that such a payment took place. - Seth Davis

Conspicuous in its absence is the name of Davis' source, but if this is good information, then the situation is looking much, much brighter for both our guy and our team.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20515 by HawkErrant
More in the FWIW category -- reports are Davis thinks Silvio will be back for WVU in Morgantown this Saturday.

Would be HUGE!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, porthawk, murphyslaw, replayloungehawk

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20607 by HawkErrant
It's clear from the tweet linked below that Silvio has been declared ineligible as previously discussed in this thread and we are now waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Also as previously discussed, since KU staff have been working things out offline with NCAA staff before agreeing to anything, I have to have faith that KU did not agree to anything without being pretty darn sure what the final result would be. Fingers crossed.

Full text follows:

The google map can't be displayed, ask your administrator for more details

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #20608 by NotOstertag
Saw that too, but I'm not seeing anywhere that he has been declared ineligible. Nevertheless, the process described earlier in the week seems to be underway.

Hope it's successful. I'd love to see him play on Saturday.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20610 by HawkErrant
I haven’t seen a declaration of ineligibility either, but it would be logical that it has happened. I would think it would be a pretty major faux pas on his attorney’s part to essentially declare him ineligible if KU has not already done so.

Just hope everything is resolved sooner rather than later, as HCBS keeps saying.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #20612 by NotOstertag
I'm hopeful that this has all been agreed to in private already and now their just going through the motions.

If so, then KU has declared him ineligible, informed the NCAA who should respond promptly (today) by saying he's been held out long enough to compensate for the $2500 infraction. If that's not the case, the timing of the attorney's letter raises questions...why release it this week if you're not expecting some kind of movement.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20613 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: I'm hopeful that this has all been agreed to in private already and now their just going through the motions.

Thee and me, Brother NotO!

NotOstertag wrote: If so, then KU has declared him ineligible, informed the NCAA who should respond promptly (today) by saying he's been held out long enough to compensate for the $2500 infraction. If that's not the case, the timing of the attorney's letter raises questions...why release it this week if you're not expecting some kind of movement.

I see at least two possible reasons for the attorney to send the letter now.

1. He knows the decision is to be announced ASAP, and he wants his name to be associated with Silvio being able to get back on the court.
or
2. He's pushing the NCAA to act ASAP by making sure Silvio's situation -- being held hostage by the NCAA bureaucracy for something he himself had no involvement in -- is in the public eye. Again, a bit of shine on the ol' apple for him.

And it should be noted that whether because of him or some other factor(s), the situation is in the sports news,

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...ediate-reinstatement

More
5 years 2 months ago #20614 by Kong
in the statement, "If adults did something illicit or against the rules, they did it without Silvio's knowledge or involvement. Their actions and conduct can be dealt with through the courts and/or the NCAA major infractions process."

Basically it is a separation between Silvio and the adults who might be involved. Certainly his guardian is one adult, but it could include someone from KU. If so, the $2,300 for course work could, given all the attention Adidas has brought, be dealt with harshly by the NCAA.

I know we all want to be innocent in all of this, but some of the messages uncovered in the Adidas hearing/trial were disturbing to me. It reminds me a lot of Sgt Schultz.

Just my $.02

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
5 years 2 months ago #20616 by Bayhawk
For the kids in the audience, our friend Kong was making reference to a time when many of us grew up watching mainstream television thinking Nazi war humor was funny. :unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :pinch:

Looking back, it is stupid. But at the time it was hilarious,

RC

Sgt. Schultz

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #20618 by NotOstertag
Per Bayhawk:

For the kids in the audience, our friend Kong was making reference to a time when many of us grew up watching mainstream television thinking Nazi war humor was funny. :unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :pinch:

A couple years ago, I head a comedian talking about this and trying to imagine pitching Hogan's Heroes to a present day network executive: "Ok, the show takes place in a Nazi POW camp." Silence. "Did I mention that they're FUNNY Nazis?"

...but I digress.

Agree with HE. If this lawyer is a good hustler/pitchman he wants HIS name to appear as close as possible to the announcement. "Hurt at work? Exposed to asbestos? Got NCAA eligibility problems? Call Tompsett Collegiate Sports Law right now at 1-800-BOO-NCAA and we'll get you the justice you deserve!"

Fingers crossed.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20619 by HawkErrant

Kong wrote: in the statement, "If adults did something illicit or against the rules, they did it without Silvio's knowledge or involvement. Their actions and conduct can be dealt with through the courts and/or the NCAA major infractions process."

Basically it is a separation between Silvio and the adults who might be involved. Certainly his guardian is one adult, but it could include someone from KU. If so, the $2,500 for course work could, given all the attention Adidas has brought, be dealt with harshly by the NCAA.

I know we all want to be innocent in all of this, but some of the messages uncovered in the Adidas hearing/trial were disturbing to me. It reminds me a lot of Sgt Schultz.

Just my $.02

I understand your concern, Kong, and acknowledge its legitimacy, but I shall continue to play Pollyanna to your Negative Nervous Nellie (Super villain name: Buzz Kill) in this instance.B)

FREE SILVIO!

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20675 by HawkErrant
Merriam-Webster since 1828
scuttlebutt noun
scut·​tle·​butt | \ ˈskə-tᵊl-ˌbət \
Definition of scuttlebutt
1a : a cask on shipboard to contain fresh water for a day's use
1b : a drinking fountain on a ship or at a naval or marine installation
2 : RUMOR, GOSSIP origin early 19th century.
Sailors would traditionally exchange gossip when they gathered at the scuttlebutt for a drink of water.

Okay, here's the scuttlebutt, take it for what it's worth --

A poster on the Allen Fieldhouse Suite on Rivals' JayhawkSlant commented tonight that he has heard the timeline is down to 48 hours, possibly less. As is often the case there, no specific source is cited (don't want to expose a confidential source), and he heavily caveat emptors his comment. Here's a quote:
I don't know good or bad and neither does the person who heard info who is pretty connected, not with KU but with the situation.

So as it reads the timeline is an NCAA "get 'er done" timeline, not necessarily a word to KU timeline.

But given the situation, I would expect them to let KU and Silvio know ASAP once their decision is made.

I will say the poster has been a Slant member since 2013 and I do not recall him being a troll, but take it for what it amounts to at present -- scuttlebutt.
(Can ya tell I like that word?:P )

FREE SILVIO!

The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, gorillahawk, replayloungehawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1