Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KUMBB AY2018-19 SCHEDULE & RESULTS thru 2019-03-24

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #21906 by Wheatstate Gal
Well, I never thought I’d be giving Coach “Squeaky” Weber a prop, but here goes.

I guess he’s thumbing his nose at the moneymaker post season tourney by giving Dean Wade some recovery time.

He says, I have the REAL Big 12 Championship, I’m dancing, three games won’t affect my teams Dance seeding........we’ll play, but I’m not jeopardizing the health of my star who’s gonna take me into April.

Now, I hope they bow out early in the dance....but I like what I’m perceiving to be his plan/thought process.

Fire away. :-D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 1 month ago #21907 by HawkErrant
Boo! Hiss!

Next up: TT v WVU

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #21911 by HawkErrant
Great game by the Mountaineers.

Here's hoping this is the only upset of the night in the Big 12!

Huggins' youngsters played very, very well, and will be a tough out in the semis.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 1 month ago #21912 by porthawk
Yeah, really a solid upset.

So there's a Derek Culver on WVU. Is he related in any way to Jarret Culver on TTech? I couldn't find anything online about it.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #21914 by HawkErrant

porthawk wrote: Yeah, really a solid upset.

So there's a Derek Culver on WVU. Is he related in any way to Jarret Culver on TTech? I couldn't find anything online about it.

Good question, sorry I don't have a answer for you, port. Anyone?

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #21919 by HawkErrant
Survive and advance.

Hopefully two more practice games before heading off to the NCAAs.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #21928 by HawkErrant

... Buh duh DUH duh DUH DUH duh duh duh duh DUH DUH DUH ... BALL NIGHT!

8:30 PM CT on ESPN2, KU (24-8, 12-6) v WVU (16-15, 8-10). Our youngsters against theirs. Game voices will be Bob Wischusen (play-by-play), Fran Fraschilla (analyst) and our court-side reporter Holly Rowe.

The ESPN pregame Match-up Predictor favors KU 87% to 13%, but neither team playing tonight is representative of the season statistics that went into building their computer model. To quote KU head coach Bill Self "The team I watched play (against Texas Tech) is hungry, they're playing with a free mind, the basket looks big to them, and certainly they're rebounding like Huggs' teams have historically done at West Virginia. So, forget about the records or what-not."

Fun facts courtesy of KU Athletics and ESPN
WVU tonight
• KU (all under Bill Self) leads the overall series with WVU 11-5. KU is 7-0 against them in AFH, 2-5 in Morgantown and 2-0 in the B12T.
• KU has never lost two games to WVU in one season. 3-0: 2018; 2-0: 2013: 2-1: 2016; 2014, 2015 and 2017: 1-1.
• WVU coach Bob Huggins is 5-15 against Bill Self and KU for his career, 5-11 while at WVU.
Texas last night
• In last night's game Texas became the fifth KU opponent held under 60 this AY. Kansas has a 5-0 edge in those match-ups and a 167-1 mark in the Self era.
• Kansas outscored Texas 17-0 in fast break points. In its three meetings with Texas this season, the Jayhawks held a 38-5 advantage in this category.
• After being outrebounded in their first two meetings, the Jayhawks took a 41-32 edge over the Longhorns on the glass.
• Kansas has now outrebounded its opponent 19 times this season with a 15-4 record in those matches, a 349-43 record in the Self era.
• Devon Dotson had a team-high 17 points (6-11 from the field), plus 4 rebounds, 4 assists and no turnovers.
• In his three meetings against Texas this season, Dotson had just one turnover in 102 minutes played.
• Dotson has 381 points so far this season, moving him past Mario Chalmers (379 in 2006) into 10th all-time in point totals by a freshman in a single season.
• His 4 assists gave Dotson 113 so far, moving him into 8th place past Sherron Collins (112 assists in 2007) for assists in a single season by a freshman.

KU Athletics: Defense lifts Jayhawks into Big 12 semifinals
KU Athletics: Jayhawks and Mountaineers Set for Big 12 Semifinal Battle
KU Athletics - Game Notes: KU v WVU
ESPN Game Notes: KU v WVU
ESPN: Streaking WVU ready for huge test against No. 17 Kansas
KUSports.com - Shane Jackson: Kansas set for unlikely rubber match with West Virginia in Big 12 semifinals
KUSports.com - Benton Smith: Devon Dotson leads KU’s freshmen 4 as Jayhawks advance in Big 12 tourney
KUSports.com - Matt Tait: Mighty McCormack: Freshman center helps Kansas power past Texas in Big 12 quarterfinals
cbssports.com: Stop the presses: New-look West Virginia's run in the Big 12 Tournament continues with upset of Texas Tech

LET'S GO JAYHAWKS!

ROCK CHALK!

Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Updated for publication of KUAD KU v WVU story and Game Notes

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #21932 by HawkErrant
The early line is out now, and the spread is 10.5 favoring KU.

No. Way.

I will be ecstatic if KU wins by 11 or more, but the WVU team I saw yesterday was a young team coming together and not the moving train wreck we saw throughout the season.

Of course, it is just possible that WVU playing their 3rd game in 3 days may give KU a bit of an edge tonight.

And I certainly would love to see our guys hitting on all cylinders for 2+ hours today, which is what would be needed for them to win by 11 or more.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #21935 by Wheatstate Gal
I’m easy. I’ll take a win.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #21954 by HawkErrant
Updated the Game Day post for more KUAD info.

www.rockchalk.com/index.php/forum/basket...03-14?start=60#21928

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #21965 by HawkErrant
Let’s go JAYHAWKS!

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #21974 by HawkErrant
Rubber one won, rubber two won, rubber three in KC for another...

This will be an abbreviated game day post as I have to hit the road for a family baptism and won't be back until just before tip off (I hope!)

5:00 PM CT on ESPN2, KU (25-8, 12-6) v ISU (22-11, 9-9). Game voices will likely be Bob Wischusen (play-by-play), Fran Fraschilla (analyst) and our court-side reporter Holly Rowe.

The ESPN pregame Match-up Predictor favors KU 64% to 36%. But let's face it, it all depends who shows up tonight.

><
The KUAD Game Notes will show up at the bottom of this page once they are published.

ESPN: Don't expect Iowa State to be intimidated by Kansas

LET'S GO JAYHAWKS!

ROCK CHALK!

Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Corrected ISU AYTD record
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #21994 by HawkErrant
Edited to correct ISU’s record to date.

Still looking to get home ASAP after the baptism, but Wichita to Lawrence is a good drive. Thankful for DVR!

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #22057 by HawkErrant
Origin post updated for TV schedule for 4 KU v 13 Northeastern on TNT on Thursday March 21 at 2:50 PM CDT.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #22118 by HawkErrant

... Buh duh DUH duh DUH DUH duh duh duh duh DUH DUH DUH ... BALL DAY!

At roughly 2:50 PM CT on TNT KU (25-9) takes on Northeastern (23-10), who finished 2nd in the Colonial Athletic Association but won the CAA tournament title. Game voices will be Andrew Catalon (play-by-play), Steve Lappas (analyst) and court-side reporter Lisa Byington.

The ESPN pregame Match-up Predictor favors KU 85% to 15%. But let's face it, it all depends who shows up tonight.

KU AD Game Notes: NCAAT Round 1 KU v Northeastern
ESPN: Northeastern launching long-range upset bid of Kansas
Boston.com: What national writers are saying about Northeastern’s upset potential against Kansas - Sleep on the Huskies at your own risk.

LET'S GO JAYHAWKS!

ROCK CHALK!

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22145 by HawkErrant
Origin post updated for TV schedule for 4 KU v 5 Auburn -- TBS on Saturday March 23 at 8:40 PM CDT.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #22149 by HawkErrant

It's still early, more will be published/linked as it becomes available. For now...

8:40 PM CT on TBS, 4 KU (26-9) v 5 Auburn (27-9), who finished their regular season tied for 4th in the SEC at 11-7, but won the SEC Tournament by thrashing Tennessee by 20 points. Game voices will be TBA (play-by-play), TBA (analyst) and court-side reporter TBA.

The ESPN pregame Match-up Predictor favors 5 seed Auburn over 4 seed KU 53% to 47%. But it's NCAA time, and anything can happen, especially in what is practically a toss-up game.

• KU has previously played Auburn just once, losing in the 1985 NCAAT Southeast Regional 66-64.
• Kansas is making its 48th NCAA Tournament appearance and is 108-46 in the event.
• The Jayhawks have advanced to 31 Sweet 16 contests, 15 Final Fours and three of their five national championships have been NCAA titles (1952, 1988, 2008).
• Kansas’ 30-consecutive NCAA Championship appearances, beginning in 1990, is the longest active streak and the longest consecutive in NCAA tourney appearances history. (IIRC UNC is second all time with 27, but that is not an active streak - HE).
• This year marks the 19th-straight season that the Jayhawks have earned a top-four seed in the NCAA Tournament.
• With its No. 17 ranking this week, Kansas has now been inside the top-25 of the Associated Press poll for 200-consecutive weeks, a streak which began on Feb. 2, 2009. North Carolina holds the next-longest active streak at 100 weeks. (Corpus, does this match your data? Thanks! HE)

KUAthletics.com: Game Notes 4 KU v 5 Auburn
KUSports.com - Matt Tait: 2nd Round matchup between KU and Auburn set to tip around 8:40 p.m. Saturday
ESPN: Lawson, Kansas clicking with chaos-driven Auburn up next
CBSSports.com video: 5 Auburn v 4 Kansas
Collegefootballnews.com: NCAA Tournament: Kansas vs. Auburn fearless prediction and game preview.
Sportschatplace.com: Kansas vs. Auburn - 3/23/19 NCAA March Madness Pick, Odds, and Prediction
KC Star - Gary Bedore: Auburn will face KU after surviving 12th-seeded NM State in NCAA Tournament opener

LET'S GO JAYHAWKS!

ROCK CHALK!

Last Edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Added links and Fun Facts
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22179 by HawkErrant
Updated the previous post to add the KUAD Game Notes link and some Fun Facts.

Corpus, please see my question regarding the AP Top 25 ranking fact. Thanks!

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22181 by HawkErrant