Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

AY2016-17 KUMBB Recruiting UPDATED 2017-08-12

More
7 years 1 week ago #13482 by Bayhawk

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 week ago #13483 by Wheatstate Gal
I'm with you, sasnak. I can be there before the season starts....not when school starts, but a bit later so I can tie up loose ends here.

If you can cover July - October, I could be there in November.....you'd probably need relief by the first of November!

:-P

WSG

More
7 years 1 week ago #13484 by murphyslaw
Two good laughs to start my day, Wheatie and Saz! Thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 week ago #13485 by Wheatstate Gal
Aw, Murph......I was hoping you'd join our "housemother" gig.

Room, board and free BB (williams fund) Tix....and we get seats on the team plane!

More
7 years 1 week ago #13486 by murphyslaw
It would be my pleasure! I'll just rearrange a few things.

Are the discipline rules strict? I have a paddle that needs repairing and there's a ruler around here some place.

I'm on probation for conduct unbecoming a fan in row 47, seat 12 of Allen Fieldhouse. I'm appealing because the refs, egged on by Baby Jay, hit me first.

Also, I'm not allowed on any plane with two or more wings, but that's another story.

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 1 week ago #13489 by HawkErrant

Tait notes in an article back in early April that Allen is now 6-2, 180, not the 6-1, 165 still showing in Rivals data on him.
You may recall that Brewster Academy in New Hampshire gave KU DG, Naadir Tharpe and Thomas Robinson, and that Allen was NEPSAC (New England Prep School Athletic Council) Player of the Year after leading Brewster to a 33-0 record this past season.

KU is still in the hunt for top PG prospect Trevon Duval (and the undercurrent is that it is not quite a lock for Duke, KU is still in the running), so Allen is more of a backstop option. But since his release from his commitment to NC State his prep school year has drawn attention around the country from schools still looking to fill guard slots.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 1 week ago #13495 by HawkErrant
As expected, he is gone.

Best of luck to him, hope he represents KU well in the future.

www2.kusports.com/news/2017/apr/17/josh-...-declares-nba-draft/

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 11 months ago #13534 by JRhawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #13543 by HawkErrant
Link to updated Origin Post

Update adds in the signing of the Lawson brothers and newly announced Cal transfer PG Charlie Moore, plus the notice that Connor Teahan's younger brother Chris will be walking on this fall.

There is talk that Moore is applying for hardship transfer status (to be closer to ill father) so he can play this fall. Likelihood of it being granted is being deemed questionable, as Lawrence is still a long way from Chicago (even if it is much closer than Berkeley), and when has the NCAA ever really given KU a hand?

Big question now is will Svi stay in the NBA draft or will he be back?
He has until May 24 (10 days after the NBA Combine) to decide if he is returning or not.

If he stays leaves, KU has 1 scholarship left to offer for next year, almost certainly for a big UNLESS -- well, Rivals top PG recruit (#4 Rivals 150) Trevon Duval, despite rumors of a Duke commitment, still has not announced. He would be the best talent available, and Self & Co would have him in a heartbeat.

KU big man target Jeremiah Tilmon has not announced yet either. Many thought he was a sure mOO guy, but it is possible that he is waiting to see if KU will have a spot for him.

If Svi does go, there is also no announcement yet from JUCO PF Shakur Juiston, who many think would be an immediate impact player at most schools (see Iowa State, where he recently visited).

The rest of the recruits listed in the OFFERS section are just that -- they have KU offers and have yet to decide where they will be next season, but realistically I've found zero recruiting gurus that expect them to be on Mount Oread.

ROCK CHALK!

Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 11 months ago #13544 by HawkErrant
Fixed my error. Apologies for any confusion.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 11 months ago #13547 by HawkErrant
JUCO transfer Shakur Juiston has announced he is going to UNLV. One more player off the table if Svi does not return.

More
6 years 11 months ago #13576 by JRhawk

More
6 years 11 months ago #13584 by DrJHawker
I thought we were out of scholarships. What do you make of the Whitman addition. Will he come with an academic scholarship, is Svi gone or is someone else leaving???

www2.kusports.com/news/2017/may/02/jayha...-and-mary-graduate-/

More
6 years 11 months ago #13585 by bklynhawk

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 11 months ago #13587 by HawkErrant
I understand Whitman has a scholarship.

Best guess on my part is Self thinks Svi won't be back.

I could be wrong, but I don't see anyone else transferring out to allow Svi to return.

Also tells me that Self does not plan on getting Duval or Tilmon.

As a grad transfer Whitman represents a solid backup player. Based on what little I've seen (highlights from this past season), he would have been more effective for us than Carlton was -- *lots* more effective. Good hands, good post moves, finishes well at the hoop (66% from 2, doesn't take 3s), solid but not outstanding rebounder, not a blazer but he's quick and at 6-9/240 a real pounder and occasional shot blocker (averaged 2 per 40 minutes last year). No real info on his defensive prowess.

Old mantra applies all around: we will see

The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, DrJHawker

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 11 months ago #13591 by HawkErrant
The origin post has been updated for the addition of William & Mary graduate transfer PF Jack Whitman.

Filling in a little more beyond the updated SIGNED or COMMITTED table info --

Whitman is a graduate transfer (a starter for W&M last season, he will be immediately eligible for Fall 2017). Unranked by any of the services out of HS (rated *** by Scout, ** by ESPN, unrated by Rivals and 247Sports), he averaged 22 minutes a game (W&M was grooming his freshman replacement as the year went on, hence the low minutes for a starter). His 2016-17 stats were 10.1 PPG, 5..4 RPG, 1.2 APG, 1.1 BPG, 1.5 TPG and 2.8 FPG.
NB: For comparison, in his last year at Memphis, Tarik Black averaged 20.8 MPG, 8.1 PPG and 4.8 RPG.
I am NOT saying he is as talented as Tarik, just pointing out that #s can be deceiving (both ways) as to how a player will impact a new program.
Here is a highlight film from his senior year at W&M. We see good hands, good post moves (left and right), aggressive attacks on the hoop, solid rebounding and quickness afoot. What we don't see is defense, which seldom makes highlight clips unless blocks or steals are involved.

As I noted earlier, a solid big man to fill a reserve role. He has played with his back to the basket his entire career, so would be a serviceable sub for UA and Dwight as needed. He has also expressed interest in playing some at the 4 as well, and may get minutes doing that at KU, especially if he shows the coaches that he can play solid D.

And yes, barring someone else transferring out or some self-sacrificing scholarship player taking a "walk-on" year, this addition would seem to indicate that Svi will not be withdrawing his name from the NBA draft. Should Svi decided to withdraw and stay for his senior year, those are the only two options I can see if Svi is to remain on scholarship.

Here is a link to Matt Tait going over the situation. FWIW: please note that Tait's talk of an academic scholarship being offered doesn't solve the problem. NCAA regs specifically address such a situation, and it won't wash with them. Think about it -- if that were allowed, schools like Stanford could field an entire team of scholarship players using both academic and athletic scholarships. I am somewhat surprised that Tait, with all his time in the saddle covering KU sports, is not aware of this reality. Other than that, it is a good write up.

The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 11 months ago #13614 by HawkErrant
It's official - Self announces arrival of Jack Whitman

OP updated to reflect Jack signed Monday May 8.

More
6 years 11 months ago #13617 by porthawk

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 11 months ago #13667 by HawkErrant
Thanks to JR for the Duval and Tilmon updates.

OP updated for their choices.

It's basically down to will Dwight leave, and if he does will Svi return?